Personal View site logo
Is the GH1 woth the effort to improve the Hack/Patch?
  • I was away for some weeks... and I started to think about the GH1.

If I can remember, it was the first cheap 24p shallow dof camera, and it started the revolution in digital cinema together with the 5D Mark II.

And it started all the hack revolution also... Tester13

GH1: how many people are using it these days?

Is the GH1 woth the effort to improve the Hack/Patch for it in the GH4/G7 4K world?

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • I suggest to check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8601/panasonic-gh1-firmware-research-testing

As original GH1 patches have no space for improvement.

So, it is more new development and work with disassembler.

• I mean doing it changing what is possible to do in PTool 3.65d working on the panasonic firmware 1.32 as a base. Make it more stable and/or better image in 1080p24 and 720p60. I think disassembling does not worth. I will take a look in the link. Thanks.

• I am interested in to know if it is possible to add something to the first generation: GH1, GF1, and G2. The thread that Vitaliy point to, need additional volunteers and some old version PTOOLs to help development of the first generation.

• Keep going @apefos. I still love and use mine. I can´t live without it... Força!!!

• I usually work with my a7s, and sometimes with BMCC, however every time I pick the old GH1 (my first camera) I realize that it has the nicer color palette out of the box :) Ok, there are lots of camera today which have a more "modern look" and better quality indeed, however every time I watch GH1 footage not graded, just straight from camera, I have the impression that I am dealing with a particular film stock, "hot" color, nice reds, that has in my opinion a great analogic feel. Just in these days I have watched two films by the independent director Lanthimos: visually, the first one, "Kinetta" , shot on 35mm and only natural light, has a particular feel which reminded me of GH1 footage: pale colors, noise in shadows but very nice skin tones; the second, "Alps", shot on RED, has a look very close to the cinematography of Upstream Color (mainly GH2 and Voigtlander, clinical look, shallow depth, bluish tint). Old, glorious GH1, I will never sell it :)

• second attempt: everything is similar to first attempt, just the 720p50 is gop10 and 720p60 is gop12 to compare the reliability.

second-apefos-gh1-patch.tar.gz
    634B
    setb.txt
  • now the 1080p and 720p constants are lowered to reasonable values.

48Mbps.

sete is all gop6

setf is gop6 for 24p and 25p, gop10 for 720p50 and gop12 for 720p60

sete.tar.gz
    593B
    sete.txt
    1000B
    setf.tar.gz
    617B
    setf.txt
  • Bravo, @apefos !!!

• following @humpman advice I developed two long gop attempts for gh1:

seti = 48Mbps

setj = 42Mbps

same gop setings in seti and setj = 24p = gop12, 25p = gop12, 50p = gop24, 60p = gop30

both using the reasonable values for the 1080p and 720p constants.

seti.tar.gz
    584B
    seti.txt
    976B
    setj.tar.gz
    584B
    setj.txt
    976B
  • please, somebody give me feedback about the setj because I believe it can be the most stable in 1080p24 and 720p60. thanks.

• @apefos just tried it, after pressing shoot button, first i saw black screen, then cam immidiatly turns off and on automatically. As i said it's pointless.

• I do not have the GH1 so I cannot test...

I was thinking to get an used GH1 if I could find a cheap one...

But I do not want to keep pursuing perfection in hack patches anymore...

I just would like to increase the datarate a little bit, just to get a better image, and I would like to avoid pulldown in post production, so native 24p is welcome also. If there is a simple way just to increase datarate and get stable native 24p it would be enough... even a 32Mbps datarate would be already good.

Is there a simple way in PTool to do this, changing just few things?

• @apefos

If you ask me - you are wasting time.

• I developed eight patches based on the idea of small datarate increase and native 24p, I used same rounded multiplier for each recording mode and video buffer. I used long gop. The idea is to make it stable and an enough image quality. In each patch there are lower 720p datarate in the other recording modes also. The Overall datarate is a little higher using same rounded multiplier, but it is lower than the buffer. For information read yellow box in PTool or open the txt file to read. After download rename txt to ini file extension. Developed using PTool 3.66d and Panasonic 1.32 latest firmware.

setA = 32Mbps, buffer 40

setB = 28Mbps, buffer 33.5

setC = 24Mbps, buffer 28

setD = 40Mbps, buffer 50

a little lower versions, using the buffer value to calculate the datarate rounded multiplier:

setG = 30Mbps, buffer 40

setH = 25Mbps, buffer 33.5

setI = 21Mbps, buffer 28

setJ = 38Mbps, buffer 50

(in the first setJ, where the yellow box comment show 29 please read 19, it is correct in the patch, just the yellow box comment is wrong, I uploaded it again with correct comments in yellow box as you can see below)

Where the patches start to repeat from A to J they have higher 720p H and L slots, H value moved to L and new H in between. This is an attempt to make the 720p more stable in H and L and also allow higher datarate in H and L slots.

I hope these can work properly, feedbacks welcome!

seta.txt
    555B
    setb.txt
    557B
    setc.txt
    555B
    setd.txt
    555B
    setg.txt
    555B
    seth.txt
    557B
    seti.txt
    555B
    setj.txt
    555B
    setj.txt
    555B
    seta.txt
    555B
    setb.txt
    557B
    setc.txt
    555B
    setd.txt
    555B
    setg.txt
    555B
    seth.txt
    557B
    seti.txt
    555B
    setj.txt
    555B
  • @apefos

You are better stop with this. As I said, GH1 require completely different approach.

And bunch of not tested and not working setting won't help here.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev no problem. you can delete this topic and all the patches.

• @apefos To tell the truth, the GH2 still has a terrific potential to be developed!

I found different ways for it. But the memory cards available for this camera are too slow.

• no problem. you can delete this topic and all the patches

You got me wrong.

I just said that to reach the goal you need to do different thing.