Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-70D, more and better
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @RottenCarcass Huh? How often do you change cards? You can only chew up 4 Gbytes in 1 hour using all four channels at 96K/24bit. A 64 Gb card should cover you for 16 hours continuous.... you'll have to change the battery more often.

• I've had the DR-70D for about a month now, and overall it's a very nice unit. Two negatives though - first, the big plastic door behind which you put the batteries and the card - terrible, just terrible; it's just a matter of time before it snaps off, but worse, it's actually hard to have it stay out of the way when you need access to the SD card - and since I need access very often, it's a royal pain. Second: the DR-60D has a dedicated phantom power button - for the 70D you have to switch the phantom power on and off in the menu... a big nuisance, especially when you're using several mics; now I understand it's a very compact unit and quite narrow, so putting in another button would be a challenge, but I think they could've squeezed one in between the record and slate buttons.

• Gotchya! Thank you for the explanation.

• @RottenCarcass - I do adjust levels while talent is speaking. I mostly do documentary film, and when someone suddenly starts speaking softly, I raise levels, or when they turn away for a moment, or if I'm in a run-and-gun scenario using only an on-camera mic and suddenly I have more distance between me and the subject... I'm constantly adjusting it. Or rather, I should be. As is, I generally record in dual mode and fix levels in post, which is time consuming for this kind of work.

Maintaining background noise levels shouldn't take precedence over proper attenuation of foreground sound, in my opinion... and if you're using the right mic and it's close enough to the subject, noise levels should be low enough that a jump of 6db-12db won't be too noticeable. Jumping from -48db to -36db, for instance, is hard to tell if your subject is in the -12 to -6db range. Especially if the jump is done smoothly.

It's not a deal-breaker, as I've made due with the 60D for a while, but it'd be nice to have one less thing to worry about.

• I'm getting my 70D next week from B&H, so I'll be able to tell then, but from what I understand, they are stepless to the same degree that the newer 60Dmkii is stepless, which compared to 60D is an improvement, but people describe still having issues with twisting rapidly from min to max in one move, there is some kind of sound, so it's not really analogue pots, but digital except "massaged".

But I am curious as to how people factor in such an issue, to the point where it's a deal-breaker. I'm not saying this critically, just trying to learn how other people use their gear. I have the "steppy" 60D and I never found a circumstance where that was an issue - but that's what I use it for, you probably use it differently where it's a problem. I use it for narrative film. When I record dialogue, it never happens that I change the pot levels while the dialogue is ongoing, because if you do that, you change the level of everything, including the background noise, so why would you do that? I mean, if the background noise level suddenly changes that's far more noticeable than a couple of faint clicks on the track, and that background noise level change would happen regardless of what gain pots you are using. If you are doing it while there is silence the same deal, although, funny enough, you can take out those clicks in post in that situation. And you hardly notice them at all, unless you're really trying to listen for them. But bottom line, I have never seen a real-world scenario where that was an issue at all (at least how I use it). So I'm a little puzzled by the whole controversy... I mean, I know why it started, because Robert from JuicedLink was doing a comparison between the JL unit and the 60D, so of course he was trying to find anything negative to say about the 60D, but even then I thought it was very weak sauce. Regardless, I'm interested in other people's opinions, so I ask: what is the issue with stepless vs steppy pots?

• Anyone know if the channel gain knobs are stepless, or stepped like on the DR-60D? If they're stepless, that might be the deciding factor that'll make me buy this thing.

• I have had bad experiences with tascam stuff it always seems to be faulty. I think the price is so low because they are just cheap chinese made plastic crap. Sounds great when it does work though!

I really do not think it is useful post and is good for PV. This is exactly that we want to avoid (meaningless generalization and words ala "cheap chinese made plastic crap").

Can you provide exact facts, and in separate topic, please, until you already used DR-70?

• I have had bad experiences with tascam stuff it always seems to be faulty. I think the price is so low because they are just cheap chinese made plastic crap. Sounds great when it does work though!

• Adorama has them in stock now

• BH Photo is predicting it to be in stock on Nov 10th... looking forward to first reports!

• @giuliobottinigiuliobottini: I would get the Zoom H6 ^^.

Sure - It´s more expensive (H6 over DR-60D). But it has a WAY longer battery life (which is essential in field) - And you can also use it with external USB batteries (like the DR-60D through the Mini USB port - Thank god no micro port there either ^^). But even on batteries it´s running multiple times as long as the DR-60D (at least compared to the Mk-1 which I use quite often). And it´s not suffering THAT extreme from using phantom powered external mics - That´s sucking the DR-60 empty like hell =/. Though don´t forget to use GOOD batteries / rechargeable batteries (!)

The Mk-2 (DR-60D) is maybe better now. It´s coming with a few bugfixes (better XLR ports and updated potis - And for sure a few other points). But as it seems like it´s basically the same unit like the Mk-1, the battery life is also a problem there (for sure). And on the other hand you can also use the H6 with the different add-on mics. I also like the fact, that you can even use it WITHOUT any add-on mic - So you can choose freely: Do you want to use it just as an external recorder (with phantom power for example) - Or do you need one of the multiple add-on mics (directly on the unit) ^^. Also reduces the risk of damages on the mics (as you can remove them if you don´t need them).

• As a 4 channel recorder this one is comparable to the zoom h6, which one do you think is better?

• Sure. You can use a powerbank. But WHY is the DR-70D using a micro USB port? Why not at least the Mini Type-B (like on the DR-60D) - Or the even more stable standard USB Type-B ... It´s the same like with the HDMI ports - Micro is the new standard on (nearly) every new camera body. =/

In general I am quite happy with the DR-60D (Mk-1) for example - Nice small recorder (with good features). But the power solution is quite annoying there too. (Also only USB power is possible.) Though: At least it´s using the Mini Type-B Port (not the way more unstable micro edition). A HUGE pro for the DR-60D (also Mk-ii). At least for me ^^.

• Using a USB power bank is a great idea for use on the DR60 so i'm sure its the same here. It makes battery life great and can be recharged anywhere.

• I reckon you can use a usb powerbank to power the unit.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.48.18 pm.png
    657 x 510 - 110K
  • Hmm. Too bad the running time is (still) quite short (with a new set of batteries - Like on the DR-60D). Especially with enabled phantom power it´s low on batteries quite fast. External Battery Plates / Adapters would be great (original from Tascam) - For Sony NPF for example.

There´s only an AA Battery adapter and an AC Adapter available (as far as I can see). AND there´s no external DC port (2.5mm DC for example) - Just a MICRO (!) USB Port. Also the AC adapter is using that one for powering the unit -.- (Quite stupid in my opinion.)

• I wonder if the screen is the same size/quality as on the 60D, and what it displays.

• Well damn, I've got a DR-60D but as usual there is always something so much better just around the corner! :-o

• Wow! So many features are improvements on my DR-680. I love the individual levels for each track. Also, recording at multiple levels for each track to protect from clipping. I've really enjoyed my 680 but it's only a 6-track recorder really, and that's usually at least two more than I need. This thing seems fantastic.

• Very interested. I can still return the 60d mkii. Everything sounds better Any news about battery life would be nice.