Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-70D, more and better
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • I'm getting my 70D next week from B&H, so I'll be able to tell then, but from what I understand, they are stepless to the same degree that the newer 60Dmkii is stepless, which compared to 60D is an improvement, but people describe still having issues with twisting rapidly from min to max in one move, there is some kind of sound, so it's not really analogue pots, but digital except "massaged".

But I am curious as to how people factor in such an issue, to the point where it's a deal-breaker. I'm not saying this critically, just trying to learn how other people use their gear. I have the "steppy" 60D and I never found a circumstance where that was an issue - but that's what I use it for, you probably use it differently where it's a problem. I use it for narrative film. When I record dialogue, it never happens that I change the pot levels while the dialogue is ongoing, because if you do that, you change the level of everything, including the background noise, so why would you do that? I mean, if the background noise level suddenly changes that's far more noticeable than a couple of faint clicks on the track, and that background noise level change would happen regardless of what gain pots you are using. If you are doing it while there is silence the same deal, although, funny enough, you can take out those clicks in post in that situation. And you hardly notice them at all, unless you're really trying to listen for them. But bottom line, I have never seen a real-world scenario where that was an issue at all (at least how I use it). So I'm a little puzzled by the whole controversy... I mean, I know why it started, because Robert from JuicedLink was doing a comparison between the JL unit and the 60D, so of course he was trying to find anything negative to say about the 60D, but even then I thought it was very weak sauce. Regardless, I'm interested in other people's opinions, so I ask: what is the issue with stepless vs steppy pots?

• @RottenCarcass - I do adjust levels while talent is speaking. I mostly do documentary film, and when someone suddenly starts speaking softly, I raise levels, or when they turn away for a moment, or if I'm in a run-and-gun scenario using only an on-camera mic and suddenly I have more distance between me and the subject... I'm constantly adjusting it. Or rather, I should be. As is, I generally record in dual mode and fix levels in post, which is time consuming for this kind of work.

Maintaining background noise levels shouldn't take precedence over proper attenuation of foreground sound, in my opinion... and if you're using the right mic and it's close enough to the subject, noise levels should be low enough that a jump of 6db-12db won't be too noticeable. Jumping from -48db to -36db, for instance, is hard to tell if your subject is in the -12 to -6db range. Especially if the jump is done smoothly.

It's not a deal-breaker, as I've made due with the 60D for a while, but it'd be nice to have one less thing to worry about.

• Gotchya! Thank you for the explanation.

• I've had the DR-70D for about a month now, and overall it's a very nice unit. Two negatives though - first, the big plastic door behind which you put the batteries and the card - terrible, just terrible; it's just a matter of time before it snaps off, but worse, it's actually hard to have it stay out of the way when you need access to the SD card - and since I need access very often, it's a royal pain. Second: the DR-60D has a dedicated phantom power button - for the 70D you have to switch the phantom power on and off in the menu... a big nuisance, especially when you're using several mics; now I understand it's a very compact unit and quite narrow, so putting in another button would be a challenge, but I think they could've squeezed one in between the record and slate buttons.

• @RottenCarcass Huh? How often do you change cards? You can only chew up 4 Gbytes in 1 hour using all four channels at 96K/24bit. A 64 Gb card should cover you for 16 hours continuous.... you'll have to change the battery more often.

• How do the noise levels on the preamps compare to the R-26? Have they improved any in this model? I like my R-26 but the form factor and touchscreen interface are more difficult to use in a belt case or on the camera and the 70D looks much more useable on set.

• I didn't say I need to "change" cards - I said I needed "access" - because I pull it out and put it in many times. Why? Simple - I want to offload the card! So if I record something, and want to offload it immediately, I have to go in and out all the time. I could use the usb, but I use the usb to power, so it is taken. I do that when f.ex. testing various mics and want to give the files immediately to process. Bottom line - the door is terrible. As to the noise levels the rating for the 70D is -120 EIN, I haven't used the R-26.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I really like this review. Thanks for posting!

• Can't say no to buying a Tascam DR-70D for $199. Thanks Vitaliy!

• @majoraxis

Yep, very good package.

Recorders progress and prices are very good now.

• Just remember Zoom will raise the bar and come out with a new 8 track recorder up ahead. If you don't get it now at this great price, I am sure everyone will see the discount later again.

• Just remember Zoom will raise the bar and come out with a new 8 track recorder up ahead.

You mean their F8 recorder? it is absolute different beast in different price range.

• Yes, the F8. Right different beast but as you know GAS will take over and people will loose all sensibility and sell all their recorders, house and children.

• Right different beast but as you know GAS will take over and people will loose all sensibility and sell all their recorders, house and children.

Never saw people selling recorders to get another recorder costing around 4x-5x and build for people recording concerts, sport events and such.

• Thanks for posting my review earlier Vitaliy :)

I've been using the 70d for a bit now, and im still satisfied, there was an absurd sale the other week for $179!!!, that's nutz. I did have some odd noise issue which others have had, but i somehow got rid of it by accident or it just went away... and i am unable to recreate it. Almost seems like there's a short burn in period.

In any case, i still feel this is the recorder to get for the DSLR shooters.

• Tascam DR-70D + Sony Sound Forge Pro 11 for $199 Use BHNAB2015 code http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html

Hi @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How do you apply the code on BHP, I can't seem to find the option?

Thanks

• @kitano

This worked only during NAB.

• ah bummer :(

thanks

• Are the built-in mics on this of camparable quality to those on the dr100mkii? Trying to decide which is a better option for me. I dont need the extra mic inputs of the 70d, but I like the form factor. It would be nice to use the onboard mics in certain situations as well, so that may be the deciding factor.

• How about some opinions if this a meaningful, significant or worthwhile upgrade from a tascam 60d (first generation)?

• @brianl - 4 XLR / 1/4" TRS combo inputs instead of 2, built-in mics, better form factor for mounting under camera, carrying in a bag, or mounting to a rig, more solid construction, no noticeable steps in the (still digital unfortunately) pots. I owned a first generation 60D and had a love hate relationship with it, the 70D is all love. Really can't beat it for the price.

Room for improvement (70D mark II?) is in battery life, making the pots analog rather than digital, and although they're already great of course the pre-amps can always get better.

• Thanks Sangye, do you notice improved audio fidelity?