Personal View site logo
IPCC releases latest climate change data. More bad news.
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • Hopefully, that will change with the new tech coming on stream (thorium as well as small nuclear power plants).

Well, it won't happen any time soon.

Under the carbon pricing scheme, oil and gas prices will be forced higher by government diktat in order to make wind more price competitive.

No. It is same to say that father will get knife and cut his stomach out because he wants to slightly reduce his fat level.

• Interesting eyenorth suggests scientists who predicted the warming pause are now being vilified. I've read several articles on that topic and haven't noticed any pitchforks and torches. Further, there isn't much out there regarding ANYONE predicting a climate pause, there are scientists who observed a pause and then reported it as an observation.

Well, I can again direct you to the highly regarded director of the Center for Sun-Climate Research at the Danish Space Research Institute, prof. Henning Svensmark (BTW he and his research team predicted the cooling period we have experienced back in 1998 based on their observations). This guy is the most humble man ever, and he has been horribly and unjustly attacked by alarmists the last 15+ years. Luckily he has just kept on leading his institute and publicizing their research, even surviving a heart attack during a live tv debate on danish tv where he was pitted against a panel of opponents. And despite all the disdain poured down on him, in later years his institue's results have gained support in other publications around the world including recent CERN experiments on aerosols http://ing.dk/artikel/svensmarks-klimateori-far-rygstod-fra-cern-121410. (use google translate).

Again - not saying greenhouse gases like co2 don't have an effect, just putting forward that the question regarding the main factors in climatic conditions is not settled.

• Did I actually read that we should listen to scientists whom are unencumbered? Perhaps there is a world somewhere called Utopia where scientist and researchers work unencumbered, here in the real world, good luck with that.

• In the UK, oil and gas are taxed not subsidised. Nuclear is subsidised and is uninsurable by the private sector. Hopefully, that will change with the new tech coming on stream (thorium as well as small nuclear power plants). Under the carbon pricing scheme, oil and gas prices will be forced higher by government diktat in order to make wind more price competitive.

The subsidies for wind power are not driving innovation - they're driving rent-seeking crony corporate profits at the expense of consumer and taxpayer. This is what voters are waking up to and rebelling against.

• Obama's policies are not modest. The USA has already wasted half a billion on subsidies to Solyndra.

Which is nothing, compared to years of oil, gas and nuclear power subsidies, which are in the tens of trillions. If we paid the true cost of these fuels, alternative technologies would be far more appealing and competitive. And if there was a real concern for "fuel poverty", it would be easy enough to reduce the burden of higher energy costs on the poor. But the only truly aggressive attempt to help the poor pay their fuel bills in the U.S. is thanks to Venezuela, which offers subsidies to poor Americans. Indeed, the global warming deniers in the U.S. congress have moved to cut fuel subsidies to the poor.

The Koch Brothers spend hundreds of millions every election cycle -- Tom Steyer is a drop in the bucket.

I can't speak to the UK situation, but we hear similar apocalyptic claims made in the U.S. -- huge bills, blackouts, massive unemployment, all to follow. But business interests always make these claims. Any infringement on their blessed freedom to pollute and pursue profit is the end of civilization as we know it. Oil companies insisted for years that getting the lead out of gasoline would end life in America as we know it. How many times are we expected to fall for this song and dance? Talk about hysteria.....

• We oftentimes cannot even accurately predict the short term weather forecast, so in my mind any long term forecasts and trends cannot be of any great value other than the important discussions it will spark. Undoubtedly humans are a destructive force. How quickly will this impact us? Remains to be seen. There are too many interactions that we do not fully understand.

• Folks here might also ask themselves how, if the consensus is really political, not scientific, who exactly is perpetrating the hoax and who benefits from it?

Conspiracy paranoia seems more the domain of a small group of climate alarmists. Just do a google search of 'Koch climate denial'. Or read Michael Mann tweets.

Obama's policies are not modest. The USA has already wasted half a billion on subsidies to Solyndra. It looks set to triple that with Ivanpah. More seriously, the extra cost of fuel seriously hurts those living on the margin whose disposable income and purchasing power have already been rocked by the Great Financial Crash.

In the UK, the situation is even worse. The Climate Change Act of 2008 will add huge amounts to our bills, enrich a handful of wealthy landowners like the PM's father-in-law, do nothing to reduce CO2 emissions, do nothing to stimulate genuine innovation in the energy market, and lead to power blackouts.

I think anyone who describes these changes as moderate is not in touch with those many people living in fuel poverty. I think it's a massive vote-loser - Tom Steyer's $65m (an amount way more than the Kochs donated to Heartland) funding climate activism for the mid-terms probably did the democrats more harm than good.

• I'm convinced that current climate change is (at least partially) caused by human activity - but I'm not so sure this climate change is a bad thing. The vast majority of time that life existed on earth, there was no polar ice, and it was on average warmer than today.

I would be much more concerned about the onset of the next ice age than about a climate change towards history's long term average.

• Just 90 companies caused two-thirds of man-made global warming emissions Chevron, Exxon and BP among companies most responsible for climate change since dawn of industrial age

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/20/90-companies-man-made-global-warming-emissions-climate-change

Which companies caused global warming? A new paper shows which companies extracted the carbon-based fuels that have caused climate change. (Interactive chart)

http://static.guim.co.uk/interactivestore/2013/11/20/1384965790607/557603/index.html

• Folks here might also ask themselves how, if the consensus is really political, not scientific, who exactly is perpetrating the hoax and who benefits from it?

The measures Obama have proposed (for example) are modest in the extreme; if implemented, his policies would not shake up the fossil fuel industry or achieve much in the way of reduced emissions. There would be winners and losers, but that's true of every technology shift. Indeed, fossil fuel exploitation has actually increased under his presidency, the guy loves fracking and drilling, including on public lands, to the point where actual environmentalists are disgusted with him.

So who exactly is behind this world-wide conspiracy of junk science and how did they achieve such power?

• @onion, I'm not familiar with Lewadosky, but I have a problem when psychologists start telling us what the think about climate change or similarly, when oil company shills start telling us what to think. Can't we just go with mainstream scientists that work, unencumbered, in the field of climatology? Is that really too much to ask? Get rid of the Lewandowsys, the Kochs, the exxons, we might actually get somewhere.

• There is more or less a 100% consensus that CO2 causes atmospheric warming. There is no consensus as to the magnitude of that effect or if it's significant/ catastrophic. Lewandosky and others have deliberately misled politicians and the public by conflating those two quite different statements. By doing this (conflating global warming consensus with catastrophic warming noconsensus), his ilk have bounced politicians into energy policies that are driving prices up and killing thousands of elderly through excess winter deaths in the UK alone.

• It'd be easier if you'd just read the peer reviewed literature. Science is not having the discussion you guys think they're having. Is the consensus 100%? of course not, it never is, but the numbers are getting scary and absurd for the few deniers out there trying to push up hill. It's equally easy to follow the money. Oil companies and the hired think tanks perpetrate a uniform and tight message. Obfuscate, confuse, and distract. That's what they do. This isn't rocket science, it's not even climate science. Just follow the money. Lots of old saws popping up, predictably, yes, 30 years ago, LIFE magazine and other media outlets stirred up public interest in global cooling. I think it even became the story for a few bad TV movies. It was a media driven story without backing in any meaningful way from science ....not the way current theories enjoy widespread and deep support from NASA, JPL, IPCC, and 20 out of 20 National Science academies. Interesting eyenorth suggests scientists who predicted the warming pause are now being vilified. I've read several articles on that topic and haven't noticed any pitchforks and torches. Further, there isn't much out there regarding ANYONE predicting a climate pause, there are scientists who observed a pause and then reported it as an observation. Not quite the same thing.

• The point of dissention is not fluctuations in the climate, rather the driving factors. And on that issue the science is not settled. Why all this research into cosmic radiation and climate? Anybody can do a quick search and see 'respectable' researchers having a healthy discussion on driving factors.

• It is complete bullshit that the science is settled on the driving factors in climatic changes. The consensus is political

Here we go again. The "science is settled" to the degree there's a consensus. And there absolutely is a consensus. The global warming trend is no more debated among competent researchers in the field than are claims for creationism. The literature doesn't even bother to dismiss your views; they're not viewed as serious.

Of course, that consensus may be wrong, but it's bullshit to claim that a consensus doesn't exist or that there's not a strong and persuasive basis for one -- unless, again, the vast majority of climate researchers are deemed to be stooges and hacks or all the data which points to global warming is inexplicably misleading.

• Jrd I don't view this as a liberal or right wing thing. If you look back at my previous post I really would like us to use the money on fighting ebola, malaria and dengue in Africa, hardly a right wing thing. Furthermore, I don't know how old anyone is here, but some of the same scientist on the global warming side back in the 70's were talking about global cooling. So we had global cooling, global warming, climate change and now climate disruption. Ten years ago, I couldn't have caredless about this subject. But now that the US and others are talking about spending real money on this I have had to get educated on the new information. I do read scientific journals and even white papers. And yes scientist do disagree, one colleague might not come out and say that the other is full of bullswift but they don't agree.

• The scientists who did predict it, though, were vilified.

I'll tell you big secret. It is same for almost every field where you have established theory.

• It is complete bullshit that the science is settled on the driving factors in climatic changes. The consesus is political, which makes it all the more dangerous. Just taking one example is the research coming out of the space center at DTU which has been vindicated in several publications. Their mission isnt even to shoot down the co2 theories, just to follow data and understand main factors in climate changes.

And this warming 'hiatus', for some reason, wasn't predicted in the models. The scientists who did predict it, though, were vilified.

• Scientists can be right or can be wrong. Thing is, as you burn fuel you got certain byproducts. Idea that you can limit it artificially via propaganda this just bullshit. Climate change is like sun life problem, it could certainly central be sole problem in the future, but most probably humanity won't make it this long.

• Things I remember, the profs hardly ever agreed on anything, so the notion of consensus among scientists at large, very hard to believe.

It may be hard for you to believe, but any look at peer-reviewed climatology publications will prove that there absolutely is a consensus and it's an overwhelming one. "Debate" on this subject only occurs in right-wing media and internet forums. It is not debated in the current scientific literature.

If you want to argue against climate science, you'll have to dismiss climate scientists as liberal stooges or incompetents because they, unlike you, are believers in global warming.

As for settled science, the settled science is that there's been no warming for over 15 years.

This global warming "hiatus" has been explained many times. Warming is gradual, there are many variables in complex systems and 10-15 year periods are not sufficient to discern trends. The overall warming trend is confirmed by the data. If you're determined not to see it, fine. But if you're going to cite the science, then cite the full science.

• It's the repeated false meme that 'big oil' is driving climate denial. In fact, many oil companies have diversified to profit from the new 'green' energy industries aggressively promoted by climate alarmists. IETA is a trade lobby that promotes carbon trading schemes whose existence depends on governments buying into CO2 alarmism. IETA includes such 'big oil' companies as Shell, Total and BP. So brianl's assertion is wrong. Big Energy is playing both sides. The cash thrown behind the climate alarmism lobby dwarfs the the climate sceptic lobby.

As for settled science, the settled science is that there's been no warming for over 15 years. More importantly, the IPCC predictions have failed. You don't need to be in the pay of Big oil, Heartland, the Koch brothers to believe that. It's right there in the body of the IPCC reports

• Many organizations take money from oil companies. The Sierra Club does, and it was in the millions. Also as far as credentials go, many of the leading people in the IPCC are not climate scientist, the guy from India was a mechanical engineer, very intelligent no doubt, but not a climate scientist. I was a geoscience major at SUNY Fredonia NY 92-95, no I didn't graduate. Things I remember, the profs hardly ever agreed on anything, so the notion of consensus among scientists at large, very hard to believe. Interesting fact that I remember is that volcanoes release more CO2 than all the industries on the planet. I'd like to see the EPA try to regulate Mt St Helens.

• your use of buzz phrases like Koch brothers and big oil may make you feel better about yourself, but it does not improve your perception of the truth.

Try not to post this. Post data, and factual arguments. Not personal attacks.

Numerous oil companies are members of IETA and are actively lobbying for carbon markets and subsidised renewable energy markets

I am slightly lost. What oil companies are doing, what they want? Keep producing big amount of oil? Someone want to cut them, I mean, seriously?

• My references were the IPCC reports themselves. Numerous oil companies are members of IETA and are actively lobbying for carbon markets and subsidised renewable energy markets - your use of buzz phrases like Koch brothers and big oil may make you feel better about yourself, but it does not improve your perception of the truth.

• Strange to take the scientific high ground when the scientists associated with the anthropogenic global warming movement have been caught in scientific fraud after fraud, repeatedly undermining even the peer review process (BTW I'm all for alternative energy sources to fossil fuels).

The computer models have been way off, the predictions of polar ice way off, when it gets colder it's CO2, when it gets warmer it's CO2 - etc. etc.. So maybe why people don't engage in this thread is because the religion of CO2 has been so thoroughly discredited and so fanatic in its attacks on anyone who voices skepticism, that people see the failed dogmatism for what it is.

As long as more of the corporate driven madness of AGW isn't implemented in policy, like the unfortunate and fraudulent bankster scam of cap and trade, then all's fine and differing views good and enlightening. But when the scams come out and the bullying of the AGW-movement starts, it makes me want to puke. I remember being likened to a Nazi-sympathiser years back when I voiced some skepticism concerning the now-infamous hockey stick. And automatically you're some evil oil-worshipper, when nothing could be further from the truth. Religious fanatics.

BTW, last I heard the National Space Institute of Denmark wasn't given to oil or based on fossil fuel hand-outs: http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Research_divisions/Solar_System_Physics/Sun_Climate