Personal View site logo
GSpot, make your GH2 multi-orgasmic
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • HIGH-A, MID-B, LOW-C, LOW-D, EXTRA HIGH-J, HSWITCH BUNDLE -versions 10 october 2014

isntructions in the zip file.

H-M-L-L-EH_45_hswitch.zip
  • I believe these are the best patches I ever built. In my tests they are completely reliable considering you follow the instructions. Seems to be the final versions for the GSpot. Something like "State of the Art".

LOW, MID, HIGH - GSpot Mature Settings - Patches for GH2 Hack - Versions 12 october 2014

Developed with PTool 3.65d

Works for PAL and NTSC

Patches with correct datarates considering quality and stability.

24L datarate follows 720p datarate.

24H is higher datarate for better quality.

Versions are separated for 720p considering a choice between quality or to priorize the use of the electronic auto features from lenses and camera body.

Electronic auto features are: Auto Exposure, Auto Focus, OIS image stabilization, iDynamic, iResolution, Noise Reduction.

H-switch: in 720p the I frames size and the P frames size is different in the SH and H slots. Use the SH slot for most situations including high iso low light, and use H slot for low iso good light details. In the H slot the I frames increases in size and the P frames decreases in size, the datarate is similar to SH in good light low iso, but is lower than SH in low light high iso. The H-switch amount is proportional to the needs of each version, and makes more sense in the LOW version for NTSC and PAL and in the MID version for NTSC. H-switch was developed because the use of electronic auto features does not allow enough datarate in 720p for both noise and details simultaneously. With these features disabled the HIGH version allows both noise and details quality simultaneously for NTSC.

Also, in terms of stability for 720p, try both SH and H, a small difference in datarate, one can be a little more stable than the other. Same thing for FSH and FH.

The versions:

LOW: setA

• h-switch for better details in H mode in both PAL and NTSC, a must have
    • electronic auto features works for PAL and NTSC
    • good quality for 720p50 PAL, average quality for 720p60 NTSC

MID: setB

• h-switch for better details in H mode, makes more sense for NTSC
    • electronic auto features works for PAL in all modes
    • electronic auto features works for NTSC in almost all modes, not in SH, try only one feature in SH NTSC
    • top quality for 720p50 PAL, good quality for 720p60 NTSC

HIGH: setC

• no h-switch, not needed
    • electronic auto features does not work
    • top quality for 720p60 NTSC, superb quality for 720p50 PAL

SUPER HIGH: setH

• maximum datarate for 720p50 PAL before camera freeze
    • for the datarate freaks, can be unstable

HYPER HIGH: setI

• 720p always freezes the camera in PAL when shooting the death chart
    • only worth try for NTSC
    • for the datarate geek nerds, can be unstable

ULTRA HIGH: setJ

• not tested, settings are math calculations,
    • small chances to work for 720p60 NTSC, but never for PAL
    • are you crazy? better go to the coffee shop, maybe you meet Alexa there

The patches use low GOP to get better texture and noise quality.

There is no GOP 3 for 720p60 in the LOW, MID and HIGH because it makes the I frames size to be below the quality limits. Comparing the amount of time that each I frame and each group of P frames in each GOP keep on the screen, 720p50 GOP3 and 720p60 GOP4 are similar, so the texture and noise perceiving are similar.

The choice of versions is more related about if you need electronic auto features or not. This is because the camera cannot handle high datarates with these features enabled in 720p, so it is a matter of priorize quality or features. For PAL this is not an issue, using the MID setB solves both things, but NTSC is different, see:

Advice for PAL: use version MID setB because the image quality is great for 720p and the electronic auto features works.

Advice for NTSC: use version MID setB if you need electronic auto features, the image quality is good in all modes, in 720p use the H which is better for detais and works with the features. If you need better textures and noise quality in 720p use the SH but maybe just one electronic auto feature will work at a time. A tip is to avoid camera shake and exposures changing from bright to dark areas, this avoids stop recording in SH NTSC in the MID setB version. Other option will be to use the version HIGH setC to get great image quality and use version LOW setA to get the electronic auto features working in all modes. If there is no artificial light in the shoot it is possible to shoot PAL in NTSC lands.

Changing PAL/NTSC or NTSC/PAL: before changing in the menu, turn camera off and remove the memory card. Then turn camera on, change it in the menu and turn camera off again. Then remove battery, insert battery again, insert another memory card, and turn camera on. This is a must to make the camera to work properly. You need two cards, one for NTSC, another for PAL, both formated in camera with correct PAL or NTSC in the menu. Label the cards to know the video format of each card. If you have only one card, you need to format it after changing the menu.

When using the camera and/or lens features, try to perceive which features can be combined and used together without stop recording. 24H, 24L, HBR, FSH and FH are more stable with these features. SH and H are the most difficult to work with the features without stop recording, this is the reason there are the HIGH, MID and LOW versions. Also it is good idea to try to use one feature at a time.

These patches push the GH2 to the limits in 720p so it can stop recording, but the ini files was tweaked to avoid camera freeze. In LOW, MID and HIGH versions, if it stops the file will be saved and camera return to stand by mode, so if stop recording happens, just wait camera return to stand by and it can start recording again, no need battery pull, no lost shoot.

LOW, MID and HIGH versions have more conservative datarates because very high datarates just increases chances of stop recording with minimal benefits in terms of image quality, even in very fast memory cards.

Careful tweaking in GOP TABLES and DATARATES.

Using FlowMotion MAtrix.

Tests done with the Lumix 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Tested with and optimized for the Sandisk 45MBps 32GB SDHC card, and above. Try setA and setB in lower speed cards. Try setH and setI in higher speed cards. Best luck on try the setJ.

HML_hswitch_12october2014.zip
  • @apefos So it is. I have made a test comparing your last patches (10 and 12 october) in HBR mode, with AFS an OIS on (in camera noise reduction 0 value).

12 october patch I could barely see any difference between h, i, j. All these patches always give a striking performance.

While using the j set the camera freezed after 1 minute; with the i set the camera stopped after 2.40 min., preserving data; with the h set I made a perfect clip 7 min. long.

• @frullaccia thanks for the feedback. I do not recomend using the versions 10 october. The versions HML 12 october are tested and approved. Nice to see you got a 7 min clip in setH, but the I and J are supposed to work just in NTSC, not for PAL. Did you test the versions 12 october in PAL or in NTSC?

The most difficult feature to work is the iDynamic, OIS and AF are more easy to camera. Also, the HBR and FSH / FH are more easy to work with the features compared to 720p.

Edit post: in your previous tests you did it in PAL, so it seems the tests with 12 oct. versions are in PAL also. Remember that 720p is the most difficult mode for stability, so before using the new setH in a job, test it.

• @apefos I was shooting in PAL.

• @apefos I like this Gspot hack, looks nice..:D But i just wanted to ask, because i dont have nothing to lose.:p What is best hack for me, im shooting music videos but i want it to be like more of the film look.. I wanna have wide,mid,close range hack..I mean hack that i can adapt on gh2 for every of these 3 also inside/outside. Lenses that im using: Lumix 14-140 f4-5 Canon FDn 50mm f1.7 Cosmicar 6mm f1.2 cctv (now im waiting for macro x0.45 to add on it and make it really wide lol) Avenir 12mm f1.2 cctv lens Fujian 35mm f1.7 cctv lens

Also a question for a mr. @driftwood Thanks in adv. Salute

• @apefos Thank you for all the work you Put in to make the GH2 a better camera truly appreciate it. I've used your patch in one music video so far still editing but should be done with it in another 2-3 weeks I'll send you a link to watch. Just read your retiring post, even if you don't have the budget or the personel you can still create great imagery in a short film format or making your story line real focused that will minimize the need of a big crew & actors. The way the camera technology is moving now things are getting better & better and easier. I think you should reconsider and keep your BIG Dreams alive, Never give-up friend Cheers..