Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-60D MKII
  • 45 Replies sorted by
  • @cid what was the volume issue? Are you talking about the stepped pots? I don't have a proper way to test it out, but when I put my Audio Technica AT897 XLR shotgun mic to my TV's speaker and dial up the dial, I don't notice the audible clicks that was pointed out with the JuicedLink video.

If I really concentrate, I can sometimes detect a slight step, but it's really, really faint and it may just be my ears playing with my head. It's really hard to tell from this environment.

What's the best way to really test this out?

UPDATE: Actually, if I do twist the dial quickly from min to max, I do heard the click and a sudden change in volume, so it seems to occur on major change in gain, but not subtle, minor changes.

• @ tommy: Yes thats it. See

at 2min:41 sec. Thanks again!

• will this cable work from the DR60 D MK II to get 2 separate (left/ right) channels on the GH4 ?

male -3.5 mm mini jack stereo angle - male ?

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Cable-Audio-Stereo-Jack-3-5mm-Coude-Angle-Droit-Male-Longueur-50cm-006115-/261223834272?pt=FR_Image_son_C%C3%A2bles_audio_adaptateurs&hash=item3cd22762a0

@Cid I just got it... still have to figure everything out. What volume adjustment issues are you referring to? I did see something at DSLR Noob, that if you lower or raise the volume during the record there is a click. Is that what you mean?

• @fotosiamo, @tommy : Could you guys please confirm if the volume adjustment issues were fixed? Thanks!

• I just bought the DR60-D MKII , but there is no 3.5 mm cable included: I need to get the recorded audio on 2 separate channels (So left shotgun / right wireless) to the mic input of the GH4. (I only want to use the DR60 recording as backup, as the editor doesn't want to sync all audio).

Is that possible, what cable is needed for this? Or just normal 3.5 mm stereo mini jack ? If you guys have settings suggestions (GH4 audio -12, etc) I would love to hear.

I hope it is more easy to 'mount' for a run / gun situation, but I still need to find a place to put the wireless receiver.

The price in Europe is 288 euro, so the same as the DR 100 MKII. As this last one also has 2 extra mics , I wonder if I made the right choice. I will test it out, and otherwise return it.

• Are you saying that audio quality of this new DR60D is as good as the DR100mkII?

I think he means that preamps are better :-)

• @fotosiamo Are you saying that audio quality of this new DR60D is as good as the DR100mkII? That would be amazing and all for only $200.

• but compared to the Tascam DR100mkII that we have, the DR60D mkII can produce excellent, professional quality audio.

It is very good news, very good.

May be you can make short video with comparison (on not very strong signal using two recorders)?

• I got mine from Adorama and tested it out with my Audio Technica at897 shotgun mic during my filming of the youtube channel, JoanneTechlover. It works great and it's super clean. I especially love the ability to run the clean audio into my Sony RX10.

I haven't had much experience w/ the original DR60D, but compared to the Tascam DR100mkII that we have, the DR60D mkII can produce excellent, professional quality audio.

• I can still return my unused DR-60D. Any idea when the MKII will ship?

• 199$ is nuts!! How are they making any money?

• I have the old one and like it. Decent preamp. Battery life not an issue for me. Form factor was my disappointment. I dont like how it mates to dslr. Pissed i paid $300!!!

• The base price is very nice, especially for someone without a preamp/recorder. The DR-60D's form-factor is not well suited to all situations or users though.

Also, if they haven't improved the battery life, it will still be a hard sell for many users.

• I have the original 60D I bought just recently when the price dropped to $149 - I knew at that point a new one must be coming out. So far, I don't see a need to upgrade

It all depends on someone needs. Better preamps are always plus. It can also have fixed volume adjustment issues and add some other things.

Looking at latest Wi-Fi enabled Tascam recorders they focused on preamps and AD converters now, this is good thing.

• I have the original 60D I bought just recently when the price dropped to $149 - I knew at that point a new one must be coming out. So far, I don't see a need to upgrade. If the preamps in the 60D were bad, or not very good, yes, I could see that - but the preamps in the 60D are good enough, you can't really hear the difference, IMO, from what are considered "expensive" ones, or at least I can't.

The other thing you'd hope was that they fixed the xlr inputs, because there were a lot of complaints about connectors getting stuck in the 60D. For me, it would have been a much more attractive proposition if they added two more xlr and another two tracks of recording - the Zoom H6 has them - then I think I'd be much more likely to upgrade (great for running a bunch of wireless lavs).

Of course, we have to wait for testing in real life before we can decide. But I love the price - $199... remember when the original 60D came out it was like $350 and people were saying "HOW CHEAP - WHAT A DEAL - GREAT!!!", and now they come out with a new one and it's $199! Often the pattern with gear has been new version comes out that is better, but they keep the price the same... not always, because for example in the Panasonic GH camera series, they just keep raising the price GH2, GH3, GH4 - I mean, I like that the gear is getting better, but I'd prefer for the price to go in the Tascam direction - lower :) or at least should stay the same, but no such luck with the cameras - of course you're still getting a lot cheaper compared to 10 years ago.

• Indeed. I've got the first one and its really good, but noise could always be improved.

• Can't really get an idea of what they've changed from the first version. Apart from the red bars!

Preamps mostly :-) In fact, it is most important thing in recorder.

• Can't really get an idea of what they've changed from the first version. Apart from the red bars!