Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • Until now, the color science is the same in Panasonics and their derived Leicas - only differences are the outside cosmetics, 3 year warranty and a copy of Lightroom bundled. Let's see if there is something new now.

About the shutter speed for video, it was explained in one of the videos posted here - you set the shutter in 1/60 (or any speed) in the upper dial, and change to a value between the stops (like 1/50) using the rear dial (the one with the 4-way controller)

• Well if so, I'll stick to the original LX100 and save some money for other stuff...

• My understanding is that the jpeg engine is different, but what does it matter if you shoot raw? If the recording time for video is different that might add some value.

• @DrDave: Indeed, it would be most easy for Leica to pay the EU customs penalty for >30min video recording capability out of the higher price they ask. But that wouldn't change the 15min limit for 4k recording (assuming that is really heat-related), and since Leica stopped to manufacture cameras on their own, they never targeted customers interested in technical specifications, so I doubt they would change anything but the casing and the price.

• @kurth September 20

"physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera" These are not "physical" controls. They are interpreted by the firmware.

• "photo oriented 4k video mode" might be a kind of MJPEG not MP4 format I think.

• photo oriented 4k video mode"

For this just check GH4 and FZ1000 firmware update.

• "physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera" These are not "physical" controls. They are interpreted by the firmware.

They are physical controls, do not make any confusion. Shutter speed is set by top wheel, aperture and aspect are set by on lens controls.

• @stevens37y....the on/off switch is a physical control...and it's interpreted by the firmware. Your statement is an obvious truism. The point is whether you can record video in all of the aspect ratios, and whether the creative filter mode now has manual exposure control....i.e. whether the controls are the ultimate determining/overriding factor.

@Vitaliy...yes ...when the firmware is released , if it's released sooner than the lx100, then they should know what kind of file format. It'd be great if they gave us another 4k option. And it makes sense because many still photographers don't want to use nle's .

ps....according to image-resource, the 16:9 video is cropped after the fact by the camera, not recorded in another aspect ratio

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/18/firmware-updates-will-bring-4k-photo-mode-to-panasonic-gh4-fz1000

• Great news ( in answer to my preceding post ) ! And I really like the revolving recording function as well.

• no inbuilt ND, but a 43mm thread on the lens, so all is good.

thinking of trading in my 12-35mm for the LX100 for running and gunning (aka days out with my 1 year old) and keeping GH2 + voigt 17.5 for... mmm as a resigned run and gun hobbiest with fast moving subject material that also needs to be carried a lot, is this the end of the line for my GH2?

• @stevens37y: Using MJPEG instead of h.264 for the "photo oriented 4k video mode" would not make much sense: The quality would be vastly inferior at the same bandwidth. And extracting still images from a h.264 recording is no big deal for a camera processor.

• Has anybody published raw image files or unprocessed 4k videos, yet?

• @karl...there's a downloadable mp4 file associated with the above video at vimeo

• @kurth: "... downloadable"... to paying vimeo customers, I suppose. And the description does not state the files would be straight from the camera, they are probably "after editing".

• @karl

not true to both statements is my guess. Well absolutely not true you need to be a paying vimeo customer to download the files, just a member is sufficient....and it looks to me like they let him put his card in the camera on the photokina floor, and take some footage

I've downloaded it but haven't moved it to my g5 for viewing. I have been viewing some 4k fz1000 footage downrezzed in mpegstreamclip, and have been pretty impressed with the 4k converted to 1080. It's great that it's mp4...so easy to work with.

• The 4k files are razorsharp. No grain. The dynamic- I don´t know. Need better footage.

• From AR's video / downscaled with @karl 's 4k ffmpeg script / 1:1 FHD grab / red artifacts not present in UHD version
    Quite impressive overall IQ - This device's going to be a little plumb fucker :P

cinebleach downscale whole-grain, does it make coffee? version image

• idunno what it is, but i can't get myself interested in this camera. the two biggies are probably the fixed lcd and the short range, i like zooming into things a lot. it is a pretty darn nice looking camera overall for the price, but i'm gonna sit back and see what happens ;)

• Any definitive word on the presence of cine-like curves ?

• how is the mic? how close is this to the gh4??

• Found some Panasonic LX100 4k Footage

looks promising for video which i am mostly interested in. Big plus for panasonic!

• I asked Nauticam:

"Do you intend to manufacture an underwater housing for the Panasonic LX100?"

and got the response:

"I am sorry to tell that we do not have a plan for the LX100 camera so far"

That's sad, given that Nauticam did manufacture a housing for the LX7. So I'll have to ask other manufacturers - after all, at least Ikelite also made a LX7 housing. (BTW: There's an article on the Photokina 2014 from a German dive magazine where the author states as if known as a fact "there will be underwater housings" for the LX100. But without disclosing any source or naming a manufacturer, this may of course be just his wishful thinking.)