Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @s35man: What makes me wonder about the promotion videos: None of them so far tries to exhibit the one feature that should set a compact camera with a 4/3 sensor apart from its direct competitors: Low light abilities. So far, they all contain just bright daylight scenes...

• A strange detail in the specifications of the Leica D-Lux clone: They do not list 24 fps recording as an available video format. Yet they write "Video MP4. Recording time: max. 29:00 minutes.", no other limit mentioned for 4k recording.

Most probably just copy&paste errors, IMHO.

• Review samples are out there now -

• Based on dpreview.com chart LX100 Leica F1.7-2.8 lens(26-81mm in 4K video recording) are the best in low light in premium compact category; we have a focus ring with manual focus assist, same 49-points focus system as in GH4; GX7 EVF, same 16Mp(only 12.8Mp area read out) 4/3 sensor and image processor, working at 7.2V, instead of 3.6V in LX7, resulting battery life(~300 shots) which falls closer to GX7 performance, than GH3 as for LX7; LX7 battery has more charge 1250mAh compare to 1025mAh LX100; No touch/flip screen, meaning no touch AF focus in videos and angle views shots; same 1080p Full HD H.264 video codes as GX7 and GH3; 4K 24/25p@100Mbps with 15 minutes limit; full spec link is here:

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.specs.html

My biggest question -- what is the ISO limit in video? Anybody?

Also, timelapse videos seems like missing and ETC function???

LX100 001-1.png
    749 x 458 - 328K
    Equiv_Apeture Chart Best Top 2013 Advanced Compact Cameras.png
    1024 x 1001 - 94K
  • , working at 7.2V, instead of 3.6V in LX7, resulting battery life(~300 shots) which falls closer to GX7 performance, than GH3 as for LX7; LX7 battery has more charge 1250mAh compare to 1025mAh LX100;

Specially for you. Battery capacity is measured in watt hours. It is idiotic journalists that compare "1250mAh compare to 1025mAh".

• I regards to the battery, I take the cam, turn it on, and record the video continuously until the battery croaks. Do that five or six times. Then you know. The number on the battery is pretty useless, even for photos.

• @gk5 Go back to page 3 and you'll see timelapse is there along with zebras. No clue on the ETC mode.

• @Tron: This "unboxing" video is a certain waste of time. I don't know what exactly keeps this guy from doing some useful testing or talking, but I hope they also gave samples to people who know better what to do with it.

• @karl ...second that. I don't watch camera critiques by anyone less than 16 !

• @karl You nailed it. Very strange how some of these eval testers are vetted for product releases.

• Some LX100 <-> GH4 comparison video showed up on youtube, alas again without low-light or other "difficult" scenery:

Obviously, the saturation is different, but changing settings could equalize those differences.

• You will notice at :49 in the video above, that the LX100 shows a little bit of jitter (you really have to watch full screen HD). This could be from the wind? You see when you have a solid locked down shot (the GH4 shot that follows), the encoder shouldn't have to redraw everything.. though in the LX100 here, it looks like it does. Anyone else notice this?

Edit - just noticed the following LX100 shot doesnt show it.. maybe it was just the wind causing it..

• LX100 U.S. Specs(Ships in late October)

http://www.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LX100K

4K Video and 1920 x 1080p Full-HD Video

The LX100 not only has the advantage of shooting QFHD 3849 x 2160, 30fps /24 fps in MP4, it also has the ability to use 4K video as high-speed burst shots, and extract spontaneous moments with 8-MP resolution. Plus record Full-HD 1920 x 1080 60p video in AVCHD Progressive or MP4 format.

• 4K video can be recorded for up to 15 minutes. When recording in 4K, use a SD card rated UHS Speed Class 3.

• Motion pictures in AVCHD can be recorder for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds.

• Motions pictures in MP4 (FHD/HD/VGA) can be recorded for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds, or up to 4GB.

• @mpgxsvcd: I wonder why they would limit video recording to <30min there (even in <4k modes).

• I wonder why they would limit video recording to <30min there (even in <4k modes).

EU laws, discussed countless times. I think they also want to try to prevent any importing of US models to EU.

• They should have shot the whole video on the LX100 for better quality, har har! :-)

It's refreshing to see a field test that is not just advertisement!

• @karl

Overheating could be one reason. If you run the sensor that long you will start to get excessive noise even at low ISO values. I do a lot of testing with this for Astrophotography. The cameras really start to overheat after minutes of exposure.

It also could just simply be that they don’t want people to buy a U.S. model to get around the European camcorder Tax. Probably the truth lies somewhere in-between both of these things.

• Intentionally crippled.

• Should we compare the Panasonic Lumix LX100 and the Lumix GX7 with an eye to finding a small good-quality camera, there seems at first not much to choose between them. The $899 we’d have to shell out for the Lumix LX100 would buy a Lumix DMC-GX7 with a standard zoom and we’d have a bit to spare towards another lens. But part of the attraction of the Lumix LX100 is its lens – the 24-75mm equiv. Leica F1.7-2.8 DC Vario-Summilux. The equivalent 12-35mm X Vario F2.8 for the Lumix DMC-GX7 costs as much as the Lumix LX100 on its own.

In addition, the Lumix LX100 has features that the Lumix DMC-GX7 can’t match: in-camera raw processing, depth-by-defocus focusing, 4K video, 11fps burst shooting, for example. It also has the features that make the Lumix DMC-GX7 an attractive camera to serious enthusiasts, such as Highlight Shadow curve adjustments, silent shooting mode, pinpoint AF, focus peaking and a level gauge.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0540594623/opinion-why-buy-a-panasonic-lx100-when-you-could-buy-a-gx7