Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • There is a couple of 4K shots within the B&H first look video..

• the dream came true. only bad things are: 4K 26mm widest, no 5axis for fullhd, no mic port, no slow motion no timelapse

• Does this little LX100 creature has manual video control?

• The lx line has very good manual video control, I would expect this to continue with the lx100. I do hope Panasonic give this a decent bit rate!

• 4K recording is limited to 15 minutes, and AVCHD is 30 minutes!

• beautiful...but no 120p ?

• In the B&H preview video, they mention that you have full control in video.

@fosterchen, where did you got this info?

• More specs to d universe / sold to the dark force

• EVF - 0.7x (35mm equiv.) magnification / near AdobeRGB / eye-detection
    • AF - 49 area DFD Contrast AF
    • Metering - 1,728 zones
    • UHD - 100 mb/sec
    • Manual Focus Assist / Focus peaking
    • 4K photo priority mode (30fps)
    • 22 filters

Opt Stab indicates Power OIs; Regarding EVF

This is a beauty of a finder, and quite similar to that in the Panasonic GX7. It sports a high-definition 1,280 x 720 pixel array, and uses a field-sequential design. In plain English, that means every single pixel provides all three colors -- but only one color at any given time. By cycling through the colors repeatedly, your eye gets the impression of a sharp, full-color image. Lining the right side of the viewfinder is a proximity sensor used to enable or disable the viewfinder and LCD automatically as you raise the camera to your eye, or vice versa.

Source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-lx100/panasonic-lx100A.HTM

300 shots battery :( and shitty tripod mount though

@fosterchen {Vitaliy mode on} simple, buy 2 and start 1 when the other stops {Vitaliy mode off}

• Looks like 4K bit rate is the same as the GH4 :) Although HD rate looks lower..

lx100.jpg
    685 x 423 - 182K
  • Adorama had more detailed specs than B&H. I'm sure the limitation is due to the heat issue.

• @matthere Nice. 24p and 25p. Next on my buying list then. I must first sell a few things. Yes, that tripod mount sucks. And they always forget to design the bottom of the camera. For the rest it's a very nice thing. Hopefully, the sensor does have Supersonic Wave Filter, because I don't think it will be completely sealed off. If the low light video performance is the same as GM1, it will be something.

• is this camera a gopro 3 drone killer?

• 4k limited to 15 mins. The 30 mins limit for 1080p could be the EU limit (the Panasonic USA site still don't have the LX100).

No touchscreen, too.

• Specs look good. 25P 4K @ 100Mbits is what I need. Then down-sample for good 1080p footage. The lens becomes 26-81mm equiv. in 16:9 recording. That's wide enough. Hopefully the rolling shutter is about the same as GH4, which is not great but doable. I also hope low light is about the same. Yes, 15mins could be a problem. I usually film short clips, with a max of a few minutes. But I do this in a continuous flow, so hopefully it won't overheat when I'm filming an hour of footage.

• The Panasonic preview video states that Depth From Defocus is limited to the still image mode - but DFD would be most relevant for videos, to achieve some decent continous autofocus!

Does the GH4 suffer from the same limitation?

• LX100 is similar to GX7 in size, and it even shares the same battery and the EVF. However its sensor and processor are GH4 alike.

P1480822.sm.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 806K
  • From @Sph1nxster 's (pana official uk) link, mic is stereo and

• Too bad the shutter speed dial is 1/60 instead of 1/50 :-(

I know why it is; it's just full stops going from 1/4000. But still, I hope that you can assign that 1/60 to 1/50 in video recording when recording 25p or 24p.

Also filter thread is 43mm. Do they make 43mm variable ND filters? Would a step down to 37mm filter cause vignetting at the wide angle? Probably, no?

• Panasonic's 4k sample video allows some conclusions:

• Excellent absence of aliasing artefacts (see window shades at time 00m:34s)

• Strong rolling shutter effect visible on moving public transport at 01m:56s, minor rolling shutter effect visible in bicycle at 02m:01s

• Overall image quality looks very good, but all the stuff was shot in bright daylight, so no challenge here, and low-light abilities cannot be seen.

• No "difficult to focus" scenes included in this sample, and also no scene that would have been difficult to shoot steady.

• Extreme compression artifacts visible in moving water at 02m:19s - but that is probably from the insane youtube typical compression to ridiculously low bitrates, and hopefully not from the camera. If you pixel peep the upper left corner at 02m:23s you'll see awful pixel steps at first, which suddenly disappear after a few seconds, probably due to the encoder spending some more bits at this time.

• The scene with the trees have some murky details, too. But since most of the internals are very similar to the GH4, I guess that the artifacts are due to the Youtube compression.

• I'm confused about what frame rates are actually supported. It seems that once again, regionally sold models differ (for no good reason). Some previews state that 2160p30 and 2160p24 are supported in the "NTSC region", while "PAL regions" are inconsistently said to either support both 2160p25 and 2160p24 or only 2160p25. Obviously, I would not buy a camera crippled to 25p, only.

• Can someone explain to me what "extended ISO range" refers to in Panasonic-speak? Are there limitations to what you can do when using ISO 100 in comparison to what you can do when using ISO 200?

BTW: I wonder why they only support the UHS-1, not the UHS-2 interface to SDXC cards in this latest camera release. Not that this should be a problem at 100MBit/s max...

BTW2: One spec list mentioned that the elctronic shutter would work for times up to 1s. If that is true, I wonder if there is much reason left to use the mechanic shutter at all :-)

• dpReview says "no timelapse". Yet (at least the German) press release from Panasonic mentions a "Miniatur-Effekt" that would result in a 1 minute video from 10 minutes of recording. Sounds like a timelapse to me...

• Huh

The electronic viewfinder is unimpressive, exhibiting noticeable lag as you move the camera around to reframe the shot. It's large enough to be adequate for most users, but it's just not as satisfying as the best EVFs around.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6152781/panasonic-lx100-micro-four-thirds-camera-photokina-hands-on/in/5917924

Something tells me that they again have economy mode turned on by default.