Personal View site logo
Atomos Shogun 4K recorder
  • 157 Replies sorted by
  • Atomos Shogun 4K recorder will start shipping on the 24/25th of November

• Hell, I'd settle seeing footage from it. A release date would be icing on the cake.

• Any date of Availability?

• Atomos today confirm that the award winning 4K Shogun has completed its first production run and will be demonstrating its powerful feature set at the CCW Expo in New York. Atomos have also announced that from today up to December 31st 2014 customers will receive 50% off the usual price of the Atomos 64GB CFast card when purchased with a Ninja Star.

• Haven't we already answered this on the Facebook user's page?

• How beneficial is the Shogun for the GH4?

If I am planning to buy the Ninja Blade right now, and I have no 4K camera, but I know I will be buying a GH4 in six months from now, does it still make sense to get a Shogun instead of a Ninja Blade??

• I'm hearing rumors that Panasonic may be announcing this patch at InterBEE which is November 19th-21 with the actual patch being released shortly afterwards, again fingers crossed!

This from Patrick from Atomos on their Shogun forum, in relation to a firmware upgrade that will fix HDMI issues

• Yes, mid November. See their website.

• It looks great, but is it ever coming out :/ ?

• Speaking of Atomos. I just ordered a couple of their coiled micro HDMI cables. Such a huge help with keeping the connection stable.

• @TwitHerb - I don't think it's the Shogun we have to worry about

• I'm really excited by the prospect of RAW GH4 with the Atomos, but i'm equally concerned by the fact we haven't seen ANY Shogun footage at all yet.

• http://eriknaso.com/2014/09/30/atomos-shogun-delayed-until-november/

I posted this under the wrong topic. This from LA DOP Erik Naso. I suspect we'll see a firmware upgrade for the GH4 that fixes its hdmi problems released around the same time.

• hmmmmmmm looks like it is coming together nicely after all.

The future looks good. EOSHD interview with Panasonic about RAW

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/10/interview-panasonic-raw-hdmi-output-may-coming-future-gh4-firmware-plus-anamorphic-aspect-ratios-firmware-v2-0/

• @mrbill I began the conversation with Atomos on twitter and this was their reply. (Attached below) Make of it what you will - my conclusion is that they agree with my reading of what they have written. The Shogun can take prores and also Cinema DNG over HDMI from a camera that supports it. My take - we may well see future cameras supporting it.....or current ones being upgraded/updated - at least I hope so.....

@eatstoomuchjam I have 2 BMPCCs and they do not output Cinema DNG over HDMI as far as I know. Happy with it being internal of course but the Shogun is all about external recording right. Are you sure that the hyperdeck can record Cinema DNG over HDMI? Never heard that one but I guess I am happy to be corrected. My point if you need clarity is that the 'common' DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras like the GH4 ( Which I own and love but slightly loath the colour science - hence my desire for cDNG ) and /or A7S may in the future receive the ability to record cDNG over HDMI. Yes the BMPCC is techincally mirrorless but it is in a different class - it's a cinema camera. I guess Alexa or RED Epic are also technically mirrorless - different class though - different conversation. I figure that perhaps you are being slightly sarcastic in a nice way but it is hard to read the tone of your post as to whether it is playful or condescending but I will let it pass - give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you ate too much jam that day he he he

Shogun HDMi.png
    525 x 262 - 23K
  • My focus was hdmi and it is very unclear what they mean. I will shoot of an e-mail

• I thought that raw came to mirrorless cameras a while ago... at least, my BMPCC seems to support it pretty nicely. Or if you mean raw with an external recorder from a camera which doesn't otherwise support it, I could have sworn I had that a while ago with my Hyperdeck Shuttle...

• They haven't actually said that on the website. ''4k prores and Cinema DNG over hdmi and sdi.'' So the Cinema DNG might only output over 12g-sdi - in which case, you'd need the YAGH..

• Did you guys notice the 'Cinema DNG over HDMI' on the website. Hmmmmmm. Looks like RAW may be coming to Mirrorless cameras and DSLRs in the future

• We can confirm that we are working with Panasonic so that the GH4 will capture at 4K UHD, 10-bit 24/25/30p ProRes into the Shogun with an announcement expected in the future.

Just an update on this, we are hoping to see the GH4 HDMI firmware release from Panasonic around one of the upcoming trade shows.

http://forum.atomos.com/showthread.php?52911-GH4-and-Shogun-Questions-for-pre-order

Great news for GH4 owners - looks like we have a firmware upgrade coming to address the camera's HDMI output problems. Check out this thread from the Atomos forum..