Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Atomos Shogun 4K recorder
  • 157 Replies sorted by
  • I'm hearing rumors that Panasonic may be announcing this patch at InterBEE which is November 19th-21 with the actual patch being released shortly afterwards, again fingers crossed!

This from Patrick from Atomos on their Shogun forum, in relation to a firmware upgrade that will fix HDMI issues

• How beneficial is the Shogun for the GH4?

If I am planning to buy the Ninja Blade right now, and I have no 4K camera, but I know I will be buying a GH4 in six months from now, does it still make sense to get a Shogun instead of a Ninja Blade??

• Haven't we already answered this on the Facebook user's page?

• Atomos today confirm that the award winning 4K Shogun has completed its first production run and will be demonstrating its powerful feature set at the CCW Expo in New York. Atomos have also announced that from today up to December 31st 2014 customers will receive 50% off the usual price of the Atomos 64GB CFast card when purchased with a Ninja Star.

• Any date of Availability?

• Hell, I'd settle seeing footage from it. A release date would be icing on the cake.

• Atomos Shogun 4K recorder will start shipping on the 24/25th of November

• First of all, I’d like to thank everyone for the positive comments and support we receive on a daily basis for Shogun. It is truly overwhelming.

To all those at recent events and trade shows excited to see the Shogun first-hand and the filmmakers who are eagerly waiting for the Shogun to unlock the potential of their 4K camera, we thank you for your support. In particular to those who have made official pre-orders on Shogun we value your loyalty and have worked with our resellers to ensure the initial batch of Shogun units are shipped to you first.

With the original launch date now passing, I felt it was important to personally address where we are at with the release of Shogun. In terms of hardware, we have closely monitored the build of the first production units and are proud of the manufacturing quality. There is nothing preventing us from shipping the Shogun and its accessories from a hardware perspective. Although the Shoguns are physically built and ready to ship, the firmware is taking longer than expected to finalize taking into account our high standards of reliability.

We know that the cornerstone of our success in the last 4 years has been delivering the technology professionals need at the right time & price without any sacrifice for reliability & performance in the field. So while we feel everyone’s pressure to have Shogun available, we refuse to release a single sub-standard Atomos feature. We will not treat our community of users as Beta testers and will not release the Shogun until the standard we are famous for has been met.

We absolutely understand everyone’s disappointment and appreciate that many shoots have been planned around the Shogun becoming available. We ask that you continue to be patient as we finalize our firmware and release a product that will be worth the wait.

We expect the product will be delivered within days of the final firmware becoming available and expect all back orders to customers to be fulfilled by Christmas.

Thank you to our community of Atomos users, our team continues to be inspired to make better products based on your creativity and feedback.

• Weird.... why not just ship the hardware now? So people can get it sooner, and they can supply the firmware update instantly online.

Or... is the firmware really that bad currently?

• @IronFilm

Thing is, initial response can bury the products. No one will dig into big negative feedback mass.

• what is this, like the 20th delay? And they still don't have any real test footage to even show?

• Some UHD GH4 10bit 422 test footage would be appreciated...

• Doubt we'll see any GH4 footage until Panasonic release the firmware upgrade, sadly

• That is the annoying thing, as a colorist and an owner of the gh4 i really am curious to see how much a difference the 10 bit 4:2:2 makes if they would just shoot 10 seconds of a color chart at each iso and share the raw footage i would be estatic

• "I’d like to thank everyone for the positive comments and support we receive on a daily basis for Shogun"

what is he talking about? Positive comments for a product no one has?

I won't even consider gh4 or especially 4k on a7s until I see 4:2:2 footage and how it grades. Panasonic and Sony must be fuming, this has to be costing them. Sooner or later people will go to the next camera.

• Well, then why didn't they make a recorder? Sony seems to be introducing a new camera nearly every other day, why not a decently priced recorder? They must have many more engineers than Atomos.

• @chauncy - how is it costing Panasonic? Atomos have been lobbying them to fix the HDMI output virtually since the gh4 was released and they STILL haven't released the firmware yet. So how does Atomos finalise their firmware whilst Panasonic drags its heels?

• its now finally out:

• the latency of the monitor looks a little bit disappointing.... but this could have its cause in GH4 shortcomings perhaps.

• Who the heck has set up his microphone?

But the feature set is impressive!

• atomos representatives argue, that all this horrible latencies have their cause solely in GH4 HDMI output delays. :(

• Where's the GH4 Dec firmware update that's supposed to address HDMI issues?

• @superset - good question @mash - whats your source on this?

• this was the answer in a german forum discussion yesterday. but in in the meanwhile i did some further testing and others too: the HDMI lag of the GH4 is not more then 3-5 frames, but in the actual shogun product demonstration you can count 9 frames. :( the gh4 update is protracted till january. they are working on HDMI timecode embeding etc. i hope, they will also fix some other well known synch issues of the GH4 simultaneously.