Personal View site logo
Hacked GH1 vs. Hacked GH2
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • @truestory: unfortunately, if you connect via HDMI to a GH2 set to 720P mode, it will flip the camera into 1080i mode

In other words, you cannot use an HDMI monitor if you wish to shoot in 720P, which makes me sad :(
  • @Nic after trying all the patches over many months, I finally settled on the Max Lat V2 lpowell patch for 25p on the GH1 at 1080 FHD mode, it is very stable. The only downside is you lose 50p in SH mode as it's converted to 25p. This patch works best for PAL users (as discovered by lpowell). My solution for 50p is to change the FW to the V2 75mbps peak reliability when i need 50p or just use my second GH1 which has reliable patch permanently on it.

My experience with Blackout - Powell patch in PAL mode was not as reliable as Max Lat V2, i've had one failure in hundreds of clips now of codec busting ocean footage. Average data rate is 42 - 48mbps writing to a Sandisc extreme 30Mbps SDHC card.
  • What's about NTSC side ? What powell patch should be in use? Thanks for your input.
  • Hi Rambo,

thx a lot for your reply...

you write:

"Max Lat V2 lpowell patch for 25p on the GH1 at 1080 FHD mode, it is very stable"

1. does that mean that you film directly in progressive 25p, without having to transform 50i in 25p?

you write:

"is you lose 50p in SH mode as it's converted to 25p."

2. Sorry but whats is SH mode?

you write:

"change the FW to the V2 75mbps peak reliability "

3. FW = Firmware ?

• Hey. is the Lumix DMC-GH1 same as the GH1 , are both hackeable??
  • Hi britekite

1.DMC-GH1 = GH1

2. it is hackable...the whole discussion about it being hackable or not, is referring to an earlier version of the Gh1 contra a newer version.

There was a period when the newer version was not hackable, but this has been resolved, with the latest version of PTool3.55d. And PTool3.55d is the hack.

I am not yet a user of the camera, but I have studied some of the information regarding the camera and the hack and this is how I understand the situation...

• A little off topic, but where can I find the best offers on the Gh1 new or used (besides ebay..), it seems like a good camera and I have decided to buy one :-)
  • Can somebody tell me if the Lumix DMC-GH1 is suitable for hacking? Is it the same as the GH1 everybody is talking about? Thx a lot.
  • After reading soooo many posts about the lpowell patches I can't seem to find one thing:

- many seem to refer to Max Lat V2 lpowell patch as a FHD 1080 patch but I can only find a downloadable file of that patch that records at a maximum resolution of 1920x720.

Can anyone point me to the Max Lat V2 lpowell patch download that records at FHD (1920x1080)?

Thanks
  • the images were shot with a hack gh2 and gh13.......realy hard to see the difference

• I have to disagree. We were going over rough edits last night and the gh2 scenes were noticeably more sharp and much less noise than the GH13 shots were.
  • What happens when a crash occurs? Is it only the current shooting that crashes or all the material on the memory card?
  • When a crash occurs on my hacked GH1, I've only lost what was in the process of being recorded. The older material that was safely recorded does not disappear. The camera itself will lock up for a period of time, before going to a grey screen. When the camera locks up, turning off the camera or pushing buttons doesn't do anything; you have to pull the battery and reinsert to get the camera to work. However, if you're willing to wait about a minute (it feels like forever), once the camera displays a grey screen with a memory error message, you can turn the camera off and on.
  • With Max lat V2 1080 patch the few failures I've had have only been record stopping, data up to that point including the clip recording is saved. Power off only required, no battery pull. Same with 75 peak reliable patch 720p but only fails in NTSC not PAL.
  • I have been watching this a while. Deciding if it is worth going to GH2s or not. They do seem slightly sharper sometimes but it also seems a sort of enhanced fake sharpness that isn't real detail and they exhibit worse aliasing the GH13s hacked properly.

I have a big project coming up and have to decide which to shoot on.

• Why not trying out one? IQ evaluation is subjective matter. I think GH2VK is a far better than unhacked GH2, and it will get better.
  • @stonebat "I think GH2VK is a far better than unhacked GH2, and it will get better"
    True- but is it better than a hacked GH1? Which to me it depends on how you use the two.

@Blackout I use both of them and find the GH2 to have a bit more noise and the sharpness does seem a bit enhanced. I still prefer the look of the GH1 but love the HDMI monitoring option of the GH2. They are both a good combo to have.
  • @Blackout

Can a GH1 do this whilst retaining detail in the deepest shadows, and remaining 100% stable?

That's a serious question, I'm not being sarcastic. :) I think the hacked GH2s are GREAT!
  • @blackout I prefer the GH1 slightly indoors and the GH2 slightly outdoors. Not a big difference from what I can see. I see the GH13 as having less noise, up to ISO 1200, but others see it the other way 'round, or like the quality of the noise. The dilemma is that the difference is small. I would be willing to pay more to have the difference be clear cut. The fence sitting is painful for long stretches. The fake sharpness looks nice. In this way, it is like reverb. Reverb sounds good, but it is fake.
  • All I remember about my GH1 hacked is that it was not so bad...

• Great GH1....cinematic look, with sharp lens: sharp, with smooth: smooth, no problems with moiré....the GH5 will return here back again and only improve high ISO performance and allow full gamma control, nothing more to desire. In daylight, hacked GH1 still performs like the king:

• GH1 still alive and roking!!

• recently shooting with both gh1 and gh2 for a short film. to my surprise the gh1's look alot better in low light indoors than the gh2 for some reason. that and theres no green colour shift in the gh1's. Im glad i kept onto them.

• Hi guys, I have recently bought the GH2 with the basic 14-42mm lens with sandisc 32gb 95mb/s & now I'm looking for the right patch for me... I don't have previous experience with cameras & specifications so all this PHRASES that u use here at the forum to explain about a specific PATCH & what is it doing not clear at all (FOR ME). 1) Can somebody make me a favour & explain the most common phrases (as much as it possible) 2) Can u recommend me what hack file to use? (maybe 2-3 to get different options) tnx in advance.