Personal View site logo
Nikon new mirrorless cameras V1 and J1
  • 80 Replies sorted by
  • >I am surprised how much Nikon emphasise the high speed shooting options in

I am not surprized. High speed shooting will be next "my dick is bigger" thing :-)
    For video people this is also very good.
  • I like the idea of slow mo and high speed shooting.

But it is quite a small thing compared to a large sensor, high image quality, high ISO performance, 1080/24p, fast prime lenses and high bitrates. Shame the Nikon 1 cameras have done of these things!

Yes they are not targeting them at us of course...

I just don't think the people they are targeting it at will buy it. Not unless they are really really stupid.
  • >But it is quite a small thing compared to a large sensor, high image quality, high ISO performance, 1080/24p, fast prime lenses and high bitrates

Most people do not care about any of this. Especially "1080/24p, fast prime lenses and high bitrates" :-)

>Not unless they are really really stupid.

People are mostly not stupid. They are just busy and, hence, lazy.
    Will they buy Nikon cameras? Of course.

Nikon did exactly right thing, established new niche, introduced first generation cameras and started making lenses.
  • Large sensor and super high iso is not of prime importance for these camera's to work. But flawless video in 1080p is. Thinking of video without moiré, aliassing, no rolling shutter. That would be something to have. That is a great selling point. In effect a camcorder in small photo camera format, but with higher picture quality because of sensor size (most camcorders only have 1/3 inch chips). If Nikon V1 were offering that, it would be something.
  • Yep, thanks for link.

This is a pity as it risks overlooking the impressive technology Nikon has designed into it. Not only is it capable of extraordinary shooting speeds (full resolution images can be captured at an astonishing 60 frames per second), it also incorporates a 'Hybrid' autofocus system that employs both Phase and Contrast Detection focus methods. The result is, according to Nikon, the fastest autofocus of any camera the company has ever made - including its professional flagship DSLR, the D3S. Not only that, the 1 system cameras can shoot at 10 frames per second while maintaining focus on a moving subject.

The system can choose from 135 points when utilizing contrast-detection AF and 73 when using phase-detection AF, and will automatically select what it thinks is the most appropriate method.

• +1 @John_Farragut.

CX sensor is slightly bigger than Super 16. If high ISO performance and shallow DOF are not important, this jumbo sized super compact like system might do it. You know LX5 gives pretty good photo/video.

I won't buy it though. 2x sits between 1.5x and 2.7x. If Canon goes after 2x...
  • "The result is, according to Nikon, the fastest autofocus of any camera the company has ever made - including its professional flagship DSLR, the D3S"

....hmmmm...super fast continuous focus in video mode may make Nikon DSLRs a serious player after all.....I wonder what they have up their sleeves these next few months.
  • I can wait another year and continue to shoot with GH23.
  • Size is what matters, but not in the ways you might expect. To cell phone upgraders who have an interest in the technical details, the Nikon 1 has a larger sensor scaled to the right size for their intended purposes. They aren't looking for narrow, cinematic DOF, what they want are sharp, in-focus YouTube videos straight out of a compact camera. (This is also why they prefer 30p/60i rather than 24p.) Watch Nikon's promo video with an eye to how perspective is manipulated to display this camera from the most attractive marketing angles:

Note how the shots of the Nikon 1 itself almost always depict it from the rear view as a flat, iPhone-sized camera with a large colorful LCD screen. Frontal views of the protruding lenses are shown only briefly at 1:50. primarily to demonstrate how easily they can be swapped. Most other frontal shots of the camera display it with the lens fully retracted, emphasizing its compact size.

There's also a cultural factor that sets an arbitrary limit on the minimum size of a telescoping zoom lens. If the diameter of the lens were reduced too close to the size and length of a real-life phallus, the appearance of the camera could become a source of embarrassment to some people. With both the Nikon 1 and the Sony NEX, no matter how small and flat they make the camera body, the zoom lenses are still as wide as a soda can.
  • I think this camera is going to be a success.

People want in focus candid shots and most of the shots I see on the web on Facebook/Flickr are out of focus. Many important 'candid' moments are missed because of this. So yes, I think this approach can work. And I don't think their marketing is this bad. And yes, they do make the camera look thinner in this movie.
  • Too pricey.

I love m43 fire sales. Also the hacks :)
  • Can't blame Nikon for trying something different. There is no easy answer in this market. If they choose MFT, it would cloud own brand as they compete in open format. They could use APSC, but margins lower, and would compete with own DSLR. And can they sell new lenses? Or would people reuse their old Nikon? Best thing for Nikon is do something different, or not at all.

Problems are ahead in convergence of photography and camcorders gear. If mirrorless cameras can do flawless video, how can they (Sony, Panasonic, Canon) sell camcorders? What is the selling point of camcorders? The only real selling point for consumer camcorders is the superzoom (which is what people want). If mirrorless and DSLR can do flawless video, how can they sell top of the line cameras, like Panasonic AF100, SONY FS100, and upcoming Canon? Yes, they have XLR, and some have ND filters, etc. but it's still a tough sell. So what we will see is that mirrorless and DSLR will never do flawless video (image quality, bitrate and codec). Future products will have features cut, like sound in jack. And prices of top of the line mirrorless and DSLR that do great video will go up to compensate.

Thing is, Nikon is the only brand without baggage. They don't have to compete with their pro video gear like Sony, Canon, and Panasonic. So Nikon is the only brand (besides Samsung) that can produce photo camera gear that can do flawless video. Heck, Nikon may even enter the video market.
  • @John_Farragut,

I agree with you that Nikon have no Pro, Prosumer or Consumer Camcorders to compete and should ,in theory,
    make the Sky the limit for high-end DSLR video products. But, unfortunately, Like I read somewhere else in another forum/thread, They don't have the years of experience that Canon, Panasonic, or Sony have in the realm of Video capturing an image. It's like Nikon, whom I think is responsible for starting the DSLR revolution with the D90, Threw the first punch, but never intended to stay around for the fight.
  • Why should they have experience?

Video is just a moving pictures at XX frames per second. Nikon has the best still image quality, period. They also have very fast bodies. This new camera is focused at speed: burst speed, movie speed, auto focus speed.... speed is the only thing you need to turn still pictures into good moving pictures... combined witha good codec. A good codec can be bought/licensed from the market. I really don't see why Nikon couldn't do this.

Nikon is learning right now but they will succeed eventually. Each DSLR improved upon the video quality of the last the past years. Maybe should acquire GoPro and Cineform :)
  • The big problem for me is that there is no 'enthusiast' model with a better sensor and high-end video features. Panny did that perfectly with the GH1 - it said 'yes you can get entry-level models too, but our high-end proves what this new format is capable of'. I don't understand why Nikon didn't do the same. I can understand why someone would buy a lower-end interchangeable to get started with lenses - but they need somewhere to go when they realise how limited their body's IQ is - the high end models are needed to make the lens investment worthwhile.

And I really don't get who this is targeted at. Looking at the crippled video specs and, more importantly, uninspiring still image quality, why would people interested in that want to carry and spend on lenses? A good compact should bag you similar quality, but at less bulk and with more zoom. It just doesn't make sense to me - it's all about Nikon making money on lenses, but who would spend it if the IQ doesn't justify it?

I also think their design remit was 'match larger sensor IQ as much as possible, compromise everything else'. So they limited to 10mpel to get decent sensitivity. But that's probably not enough to allow for software lens correction without loosing too much detail - so the lenses have to be better = bigger. But then what is the advantage of the smaller sensor? Maybe speed - but nothing else. To my mind micro4/3rds is the clear sweet spot for mirrorless.
  • If Nikon had A full size body like a mirrorless Sony A-77 with an E-mount that would be something I would be very interested in.
  • I hate the zoom's extending nose. That can't be matte box friendly. Are those lenses fly-by-wire focus? In-lens image stabilization?
  • Nikon 1 sensor can do 2k-4k video

"Yamamoto told us that Motion Snapshot, which combines a still image with slow motion video in a single capture is a feature that Nikon is keen to improve in the next generation of 1 System cameras. There’s good news, potentially for videographers too - according to Yamamoto 'the [J1 and V1’s] sensor is capable of 2K (2048×1080px) and 4K (~4000px horizontal resolution) video and in the future we hope to incorporate [these functions]'."

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6531373190/interview-tetsuya-yamamoto-of-nikon

• Hi guys. I recently discovered the V1 and shot this vídeo:

It's been posted on EosHD the other day. This little camera is a very nice filmmaking tool but it has some annoying features like:

-You cannot shoot fast burst mode (10, 30 and 60fps) when using lens adapter like c-mount

-When using the burst mode the P automatic mode in mandatory, making impossible to set manual iso, shutter speed and apperture.

-It doesn't have 24p mode on video.

I was wondering if you guys know if it is possible to amend this via hack. I don't know if there is an ongoing hacking process for the V1, so i'm sorry if I sound newbie and stupid.

Thanks!

Javi

• @timpy

We talked about it here

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1361/inside-nikon-v1#Item_4

I was wondering if you guys know if it is possible to amend this via hack. I don't know if there is an ongoing hacking process for the V1, so i'm sorry if I sound newbie and stupid.

To be short, no, hack won't help.