Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • a dance trailer shot with GH4

• I Can confirm that the Manfrotto mvr901ecpl panasonic lanc zoom control does work with the GH4 and the 45-175 power zoom, also the start stop record button on it works as well. Tested on my GH3 and it does not work so a bit of additional functionality there that I hadn't seen documented, I wonder what else works. Going to try it out at the weekend at a couple of outdoor shows.

• gh4 panasonic lanc zoom control

http://gh4crew.co.uk/?p=352

• Hi I did a comparison between the GH4 and the Blackmagic pocket in prores and raw.

Chris :)

• @soulofrev2, nice (I often shoot stuff like this), but is the original available? Youtube doesn't really preserve enough to really compare.

• We have GH4 bodies in stock, you can PM me.

• Do anyone know if the DSLR Pro Zoom Control For Sony LANC A1C 150P Panasonic 180A 130AC DV ACC REMOTE Controller will work with GH4 or have tested it? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSLR-Pro-Zoom-Control-For-Sony-LANC-A1C-150P-Panasonic-180A-130AC-DV-ACC-REMOTE-Controller/1916809781.html

• Is there any chance that a hack will be developed to go beyond the 30 mins limit? Is it hardwired into the body or part of the firmware?

If you are in Europe and need continuous recording from your GH4, why don't you try recording with the North America zone and 50fps or convert afterwards?

• I am still waiting for the Atomos Shogun. Has anyone tried using the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q 4k recorder with the GH4?

• I haven't done a direct comparison (sold my GH3), but I think the GH4 has less noise in blue skies at base ISO. They're very clean whereas the GH3 always had some visible noise viewed at 100%.

Adam,

I had both for a few days, but the GH3 sold very quickly. For my use, the GH4 is better in every way (and I primarily use 1080 P60).

• DE: GX7 has in-body image stabilization, but the GH4 does not have that. Is body-based image stabilization something that will only be in the GX series, or at least not in the GH? I suspect one reason why it may not be is because of noise, during video recording, is that the case?

Inoue: The main reason the GX7 was made with in-body image stabilization, was so people could enjoy the other lenses.

DE: Ah, so you were deliberately making that a platform that other companies' lenses could be used on?

Inoue: Yes, yes, this is the main reason on the GX7. But on the GH4, there's an advantage to the heat sink for it to be stable. It's not impossible, but it's for a safety margin, to have a good heat sink. But many users have called for the GH series to have in-body stabilization, but for this one, we think it's better to not do that.

I think the main reason the GH series does not have in body stabilization is that they want to sell Panasonic Lens. DFD (Depth from Defocus) technology is a masterpiece in that regards. It only works with the Lumix Lens database.

• I think the main reason the GH series does not have in body stabilization is that they want to sell Panasonic Lens.

LOL. No, as you read interview, but do not understand it. idea to have sensor based stabilization for video oriented cameras is very BAD idea. No way it is possible to make good sensor heat dissipation.

• LOL. No, as you read interview, but do not understand it. idea to have sensor based stabilization for video oriented cameras is very BAD idea. No way it is possible to make good sensor heat dissipation. Quote<<<

OK, I get that and it is valid, but I think Panasonic and other manufactures are more motivated by profit than just making better products. Anyway, I am an advocate of using Lumix lens on my GH4 and same camera lens on other bodies. However, there have been exceptions like using the Sigma 18-35 fixed f/1.8 on other cameras.

• Just like someone posted on YouTube - I got wrong - granted I was watching on a new iPad. Great job Panasonic! Not only for the excellent image but for the form factor and ergonomics. I was leaning towards the A7s now I'm not so sure.

• If I set my GH4 on A mode in Creative Video mode, and set ISO to Auto, can anyone tell me how the camera will choose the ISO and shutter speed?

• First off, you should usually set the Mode dial to Creative Video Mode to shoot your best Movies. I use Auto ISO and set the Shutter and Aperture to fixed values. I can change the Shutter speed by spinning the thumb dial. To change the Aperture I will change the Mode dial to A before recording and spin the thumb dial. Then I change the Mode dial back to Creative Video Mode.

With 4k you have only the choice of Creative Video Mode or C1-3. I think all others can use M Mode where the front dial adjust Aperture and the rear dial Shutter speed.

If you use A mode to shoot Video, you must use the video button to start recording Not sure how the camera changes the Shutter and ISO settings but you can set ISO manually ahead of recording. The user manual states that shutter speed is automatically determined by the aperture setting. I would prefer to set shutter speed at twice the frame rate most of the time.

• @RRRoger Thanks. Yes, I'm using Creative Video Mode, but I have the mode set to Aperture Priority, and that is stored as a Custom Setting. I do all my shooting with the camera mounted on a scope, and for optics reasons I have to shoot wide open, but I want the exposure to adjust itself while I'm shooting. Ideally I'd like to use Manual mode and set the aperture and shutter and use Auto ISO, but that's not an option. What I don't know is how it determines whether to adjust the shutter speed or ISO when the light changes. Does it first try to use a shutter speed twice the frame rate and only use a different shutter speed if the ISO alone won't give a proper exposure? I use a remote shutter release and always start the recording with it so I don't introduce any camera movement.

• http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-gh4-firmware-upgrade-will-add-gamma-log-and-dave-dugdale-leaves-canon-for-the-gh4/

According to a very good source Panasonic will release a firmware update which adds Gamma Log on the GH4. The source didnt tell me when exactly the fw will be announced.

• Lets hope the firmware update includes 1080 P120. This would be awesum for filming action. I can think of no reason they cannot do it as 4k is 4 times the size of 1080 P30.

• @Manu4Vendetta Wow, well done! Love the shots.

• @RRRoger

If you use video button with any of the mode PASM camera shoots video in P-mode. So camera chooses aperture and shutter but dont show it. In a sunny day it can use 1/500s or 1/1000s if it wants.