Personal View site logo
Nikon new mirrorless cameras V1 and J1
  • 80 Replies sorted by
  • It must be noted that the 10 megapixel is on a chip which is at least 2 times smaller than 4/3 and about 3 times that of apsc. So the you have less pixel and smaller ones. The logic is inverse common sense for image quality.
  • @bleach551

I think sometimes you have to rethink the game. This surely won't fit in when you want to use your current lenses. But Super 16 if couple with high processing would give great video. Many TV shows were filmed in Super 16, so the look of the video if coupled with high processing could still be proper. If Nikon were smart, yes, they could make Super 16 work if they embrace the video side of these new camera's, at least in the top of the line.

There is only so much money to make in this business. Many camera makers are already gone. Nikon can shift their position if they make a stance in the market. This could be high margin camera. How much further can Panasonic go with Gh3 etc. without blurring the lines with their high margin AF100? How far can Sony go without competing in image quality with their FS100? These brands always have to dumb down their consumer camera's on the video side. But Nikon? They have no pro video division. They can embrace high quality flawless video, but with high margin with this Super 16, and not compete with their APSC size DSLR.
  • @John_Farragut,

John, but just think of all the lenses you would have to replace to get a similar F.O.V as you were used to with the Micro 4/3rd lenses or the cropped F.O.V you were willing to live with from your Full Frame 35mm lenses.

The 10 megapixels sounds like it would produce very good low noise and great visibility in dark/night scenes and have a very good dynamic range. However, With All of your competitors going with larger sensors and more megapixels( Not always a good thing) why would Nikon go backwards, sensor wise.
  • Btw, lenses seems to be very quiet.
    As it is rare case with mikes not pointing to the sky. :-)
  • I would not mind the 2.7 crop. Super 16 sensor size is better than Pentax Q. :-) Seriously, if this sensor had high quality processing for video, and the top of the line model had like robust video codec, Super 16 sensor with 10 MP still would give killer video. Thinking about no moiré, no aliassing, reasonable high iso, no rolling shutter. The processor only has to process 10 MP to 1080P video. Silky smooth video possible. And Nikon would have higher margin on this camera than their DSLR. But that's dreaming.
  • @danyyyel,

I used a friends Canon 5D(not MKII) and I just didn't like how shallow the D.O.F was at all aperture settings in comparison with my Canon 7D.

With a Canon 1.6X cropped sensored camera I am used to an image being

Soft in the center and borders from about F1.4 to F2

Sharp in center, soft in borders at F2.8 to F4 with slightly sharper borders at f4

Sharp center and border at F5.6 to F8

With friend's Canon Full frame 5D

Soft center and borders F1.4 to about F4

Sharp center, soft borders F4 to F5.6

Sharp center and borders F8 to F11

All my lenses, like so many other lenses , I believe, are at their best at around F4 to F5.6.

It seemed to me that I had to settle for either a Dark, Deep focused, slightly less sharp image( due to the beginnings of diffraction) or a slightly bright, Sharp image, with slightly unwanted shallow D.O.F. But this is just me others might prefer this.
  • @Lpowell,

Those Nikon cameras are okay, But I won't be able to use your 100Mbps Max Latitude Native 24/25p Patch( thanks very much for that one) with either of them as I can with my gh1(7). I think they display just as much moire and aliasing as my Canon 7D thats tucked away under my bed in its Pelican case.
  • I hope so, because I am fed up waiting for an update for the d300s or d700, to know if I have to make the change to full frame or not. I am not prepared to invest in 4 year old technology and in the pro photography market I am getting a bit low in terms of spec compared to the Canon and even the lower end models in the Nikon line.
  • @stonebat,

It just seems like they are putting more professional features in a more smaller package. Maybe the next generations of cameras will be 4.5X cropped sensored cameras small enough to fit in our wallets.
  • @danyyyel,

I hope this is not going to be the Price to Performance structure for whatever pro level DSLRs they introduce in the future.
  • I guess one more mirrorless player is a good thing. Bringing new techs is a good thing. It will force Panasonic make better products at more competitive pricing. All good.
  • @bwhitz,

Its was like reading a Ferrari was for sale cheap, but with no motor or wheels.
  • If it cost $ 300 to $ 400 it would be interesting for what it is in terms of image characteristic P&S. The af is really interesting to revolutionary (will know when it will be reviewed). But on the video side, the new sony line is doing 1080 60p compared to its 60I. No 24p etc. Now we will see if this new af can go in better bodies, but these ones are shit. It is showing noise at 400 Iso, compare that to the 5n.
  • @bleach551 "All I needed to read was "2.7X Crop" nothing after that made me want to read any further or made me want this camera."

+1 me too.

2.7x crop? That's it for me. Done.

The only exception I would make is Red's 2/3" RAW Scarlet.
  • @bleach551 - "I am still looking for a less cropped sensored camera with a similar image quality to replace [the GH1]."

You might find the Nikon D5100 of interest - D7000 image quality, GH1 video features, and AF-S/VR lenses that will adapt to the Nikon 1...
  • @John_Farragut,

I think I will actually have to read the articles I posted, the 2.7X crop made me stop reading any of them further. It seems every major Stills camera company is going for more professional features in their camera but with a more consumer look for their camera.
  • I like the the idea they are presenting, but execution in this first stage is prime. If you look at the mockups http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11092118atthelaunch.asp they are clearly looking at video as the new wave. They show video led light, external large LCD, external mic. All in a very portable device. Better video than camcorders out there, in a better package because you can extend. The concept is there. Sensor size is Super 16, so if you think about it that way, that's good. This is a digital Super 16 camera. It seems Nikon knows that these mirrorless small cams will throw out the camcorders. People want all in ones. Great pictures, great video. It is a bit disappointing to see that they don't execute on the video formats on first go. Now, of course with NEX camera's, you've got large sensor and compact system. That's why execution is key. If you don't compete in sensor size, try to outdo in the experience. Throw in the best video you can, throw in multiple framerates, manual controls, and offer accesories like the LCD finder, Mic, LED light in the first go. Don't test the market first. Lead the market and show us where we are heading. The potential is there for the consumer market.
  • @Vitaliy,

I just can't see using a 2.7X cropped sensored camera. I mean my GH1 is about as cropped as I am willing to go, and I am still looking for a less cropped sensored camera with a similar image quality to replace even it. I mean I have all full frame lenses, a 50mm full frame lens would become a 135mm lens on these cameras.

I am also long awaiting either a Nikon D400( or whatever will replace the d300s) or a Canon Replacement for the 7D I currently own. I know neither of these will make me a better shooter or make anything I shoot with them anymore interesting, but hopefully they will give me less to worry about in my video images.
  • I do not agree here.

Some of the things, like build in phase sensors, electronic shutter, very fast serial shooting modes are very interesting.
    I am pretty optimistic about new Nikon cameras.
    Many things could be fixed with firmware updates.
    And all elso will be improved in second generation that will follow fast.
  • All I needed to read was "2.7X Crop" nothing after that made me want to read any further or made me want this camera.
  • Also recommend to read http://www.bythom.com/

J1 uses electronic shutter only, btw.
    Phase detection sensors are built into the imaging sensor: this is the first mirrorless camera with a 135-point direct phase detect system for fast initial focus .
  • From a Nikon user, this is just crap. It has a much smaller sensor but the body and lens are about the same size as micro 4/3 and Nex apsc size sensor. The sensor size is about half that of the Miro 4/3. The lens are slow and the price is as high or higher than most of the mirroless camera. It is as if Nikon is just sitting on its legacy and saying hey it is a Nikon. For $ 300 to $ 400 it would have been ok, but for $ 600 and $ 900 it is insane.
  • Motion Snapshot is, I think, a few seconds worth of video in high quality. Like a snapshot of your life. The sensor reads in 60p but it is output in 24p. So according to the Nikon website it is played in slow motion 2.5x slower. It is a dramatic snapshot of life, if you will.

Normal video mode is only 60i 30p though. I don't fully agree with the 24p on the GH2, would love 25p, but at least it's a world standard. Doing only 60i 30p is craptastic.