Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Is anyone else using the GH4 @ 4K for interviews, talking head stuff etc?

I'm finding the 4K image is not so pleasing to the eye if you place it on a 1080p timeline and have the 4K footage at 100% (i.e. a 'center' crop). My hope was to shoot mediums or wides and derive the my close-ups from that, saving time by not having to set up a second or even third camera.

But when you realize 4K at 100Mbps is only 25Mbps in a 100% 1080p crop, it makes sense why to my eye it looks worse than what I've been getting on my GH2s! Of course the results are very nice if you leave it scaled to 50% on a 1080 timeline and get all that nice downsampling.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is having success with this approach and whether adding a touch more in-camera sharpening before the compression happens has helped or not.

I asked the question on another board and the response I got was that it was potentially down to lens performance, but I'm not so sure. I've cropped RAW stills aggressively before and even with soft lenses never seen the kind of artifacts and general nastiness I'm seeing with the 4K video.

• That's a matter of opinion. Fair enough. ..that's yours. I'm in the camp that is not so sure about that. I will say that it appears that as more people have it in their hands. ..and for a longer period of time. ..I see better color in general. Still not sure about skin though. ..lol.

• Sorry but GH4 does produce extremely pleasing, natural skin tones. It's just the grade/LUt used that seemingly skewed them in the video above...

• @HHL Probably the grader doesn't bother to isolate skin tone but just give a general grade to the video.

• Tru dat. Skin tones NOT the GH4 strong suit. :)

• @HHL All skin tones are brick orange?? Other than that, cool piece.

• I looked earlier in this post and didn't see this one. WOWSER! My fav color correction flavor on the GH4 so far.

• So the GH4 has a bit more dynamic range than the 5D3 until iso 200, and after that it's 5D3 all the way..Could be worse I guess :)

• @Manu4Vendetta

DXOMark article is made in April, if you do not noticed. It is just Andrew have nothing to post about.

• GH4 greenscreen

• I think a key factor to using -5 highlight and +5 shadow during capture is to leave contrast at 0 and pedestal at 0. I'm getting a ton of DR with very little noise using that profile. On the post side the Filmconvert GH4 CineD flat profile works very well for grading -5/+5/0/0. I'll post some 4K frames later.

• Hey I have been using the GH4 for a while and I made a video on some of the different settings. Watch out for the highlight and shadow options.

Thanks Chris :)

• Nice monochrome grade

• MPEG Streamclip is free and will allow you to trim clips then save them without re-encoding. Just load a clip, under edit menu set in and out point, hit trim and save as. My understanding is the Gopro soft ware will re-encode to cineform codec.

• @AdamT @peaceonearth Thanks! Will check them both out.

• resolve lite goes up to UHD for free

• I believe GoPro offers free editing software (not just for GoPro owners) that will work with 4K.

• I'm looking for some free/inexpensive software for Windows that I can use to trim my GH4 4K video. I was using RealPlayer, and tried RealPlayer Cloud, but it said it couldn't open 'this type of file' (MP4 (LPCM) 4K/30p). I don't want to alter the file in any way, just quickly trim away the parts I don't want. I know there is a topic for software, but thought that others recording in 4K might have some good ideas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Just playing around with the ol' 14-140 stock lens. I also tried a subtle hint of Rgrain on er.

• I haven't done a direct comparison (sold my GH3), but I think the GH4 has less noise in blue skies at base ISO. They're very clean whereas the GH3 always had some visible noise viewed at 100%.

• After using Adobe Camera Raw RC for the GH4 I am amazed at how good it is from iso 200 to 800. The stills are beautifully detailed and have plenty of DR. Above 800 it looses to larger chip competitors. It is a true hybrid camera as you get pro quality results from stills and video.

The GH2 always felt like the stills were sub par and very noisy. Im thinking of selling both my GH2 and 7D now. GH4 is all I want to use now.

Where is that EF Speedbooster with aperture control? I mostly use the 7D as a dof preview and decouple tool.

• @lunalobo75 Cheers for that, very interesting indeed !