Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Today I received an email from a German dealer that is usually quick with delivery of new products and accurate in its timing statements (Cyberport), stating that they expect to be able to ship GH4s not before June>>

Maybe this only applies for this shop. Just got an email from my online retailer that my GH4 has arrived today. And I also got an email from Panasonic Europe GmbH here in Hamburg that the GH4 will hit the stores in Germany in the middle of may. The downside is that they can´t supply all dealers - only a limited amount of units at the moment...

• Spoke to Jessops UK and stock will be in tomorrow, delivering friday. Here's hoping..

• Mrfanny... Gibbs website saying Next shipment due mid-late May so I wonder if you have had any further news regarding yours.

• @manila57 it says goods are in transit from panasonic distributor so i should be expecting it in a couple days so I assume I'm in the first batch of pre-orders. I did placed my pre-order back mid feb.

• I placed my order more recently but was told I was in the first batch of 5 cameras ordered by the dealership. Just have to keep fingers crossed and hope I get it before the end of the month in order to get the gst back! If not I will soldier on with the GH3 and BMPCC

• I talked to my dealer Scandinavian Photo here in Sweden today, they will get a shipment tomorrow to their central warehouse in Gothenburg. I placed my preorder on februari 11 so I hope mine will be in the first batch. In the Stocholm store I am # 3 to get a camera. Crossning my fingers for monday or tuseday.

• WEX called on the 7th to confirm the pre-order and take the payment. The camera should arrive on friday.

• WEX came through! Got mine just now. Absolutely love it! Ok, who wants to buy a GX7?

• @roe1and - mine's probably on the same van! You in London?

• Anyone test the GH4 for digital rain?

• @DrDave Please explain "digital rain".

Thread started for GH4 Best Video Settings if you're interested.... http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10255/gh4-best-video-settings#Item_33

• @nobbystylus Cambridge. You got yours yet?

• I received my camera from Wex today. Love it! However, I quickly noticed a flaw. The OLED display shows considerable banding when reviewing certain pictures. It was particularly evident in pictures taken of a desk lamp against dark wall. Changing the display luminance to '2' (dimmer) seems to mitigate the problem somewhat. The LCD display is much better on the GX7 in this regard. I wonder if the OLED screen will improve with use (like plasma screens)?

• @MaxMX5 are you certain that the banding your seeing isn't caused by an interaction between the frequency of your lighting and the frame rate of the OLED?

• Yoohoo got my GH4 today. No preorder, just hunting at webshops in NL.

First impressions coming from GH2. Serious upgrade and boy did I miss focus peaking and zebras. Can't wait to test continuity of shots having full frame and extele in one take!

• @AdamT I'm not sure what the cause is. The same image on the GX7 is noticeably better (lower contrast though). It reminds me of the image you might see on older Plasma screens where you might see noticeable steps in the graduations, suggesting a limited bit depth. In a couple of test images it was much easier to see in the shadow areas. However, the banding is barely visible (probably a result of the JPEG compression) in the images on the iPad. I suspect it's a feature of the OLED technology.

Note: banding is perhaps not the best description, It looks more like limited graduations between colours in some areas.

• has the possibility of the gh4 shooting raw been discussed already? if so i'm sorry.

• The attached image is of the rear display, taken with an iPhone. The green splodge towards the right edge is much less visible in the viewfinder.

Note: the area showing the green and orange mottling is actually a cream painted wall. The left edge is the corner of a white Draytek router. The image was taken under electric (led) light. I will try to upload the full image for comparison.

image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • @RKM What's the name of the webshop you got your GH4 from? Thanks in advance.

• GH4: This is crop taken from the full image (too big to post the full image). The image was cropped and saved in snapseed the original was saved in camera as JPEG, Large, Fine. The obvious mottling is vastly reduced - however it is still there, and it looks like chrominance noise? For reference, the image was taken at ISO250 on a tripod using a delayed shutter.

image.jpg
    1377 x 2240 - 518K
  • GX7: this is a crop from the same image taken on a Panasonic GX7. Again, the image was cropped and saved using snapseed. The image was taken using similar settings (the camera chose ISO250 to give me the same shutter speed and aperture - however it was a different lens). On the iPad, it seems like the GX7 has less colour noise in the image? This is really more about the difference between the camera display and the final image - but I thought it would interesting to compare to the GX7 as well.

image.jpg
    1476 x 2535 - 647K
  • Shot a little quick bit of video of a snake this morning. I was rushing and handheld at 150-175mm (C4K on the Standard profile with all zeros). Man I like this camera! :)

• Found this on Vimeo. Reddish Egret digiscoped with Panasonic GH4 96fps on Swarovski STX85 scope, manual focus. This looks better than what I thought 96fps would look based on others comments.