Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • I've probably missed it, but is there a definitive answer as to how much 4k we'll get on a 64gb class 3 card? Thanks

• @mrbill You can see that in the manual that can be downloaded from the Panasonic site or in the advanced manual posted earlier in this thred, don't remember what page.

Edit: 4k 100M 1h25m

• @mrbill 4K is still 100Mbps, so it's a question of doing the math. 100Mbps = 12.5MBps. 64000/12.5 = 5120 seconds ~1h25m

• Thanks

• that's strange...I set my GH4 to 4k/100 and the display shows me approx. 45 minutes space left..or is that how long the battery is supposed to last?

• @olli66 45 minutes is the time or space left on the card at that moment.

I think this is right: The "math" is a ballpark estimate for reference only. With a Variable Bit Rate the camera's not always shooting at a constant 100Mbs. The time left on the card can also fluctuate some as the camera either records bright detailed scenes (makes the bit rate ramp up using more card space) or dark less detailed scenes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

• Yes, maddog15 is right. It is VBR. I haven't gotten a scene hitting 100Mbs yet so have been averaging around 80Mbs.

• Apologies if this has been covered already, but has anyone had problems recording in cinema 4K (4096x2160)? The option to record in UHD (3840x2160) is there but my 4K recording options aren't available under MOV or MP4. I'm using both a Transcend 64GB class 3 and a PNY class 1, both capable of writing at 90Mb/s. Thanks.

• You have to set the system frequency to 24hz in order to use C4K.

• French manual (fonctions avancées/advanced features) : http://panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DMC-GH4PC/OI/vqt5h97/vqt5h97.pdf

• 'I Love light - LightPainting mini Documentary' made with the GH4 in low light condition, the still with the E-M10.

• I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this question (there are so many now and so many pages - I did a search and did not find the answer). How can I open GH4 raw photo files? The latest Photoshop Camera Raw update will not open them. Let me say that this is a HUGE issue and HUGE disappointment. I bought the camera to be both a still camera and a video camera. If I cannot open raw photo files, then I can't even consider it for still work. Anyone have an answer to this issue other than having a useless still camera until, hopefully, an eventual update from Adobe?

• For RAW, only Silkypix, from Panasonic can open RAW photos yet.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Why do you always post flower examples?

• @AdamT Thanks man. Initially I didn't see it buried in the options.

• Why do you always post flower examples?

Not always. Otherwise, it is usually only tolerable photos from the ones made by photo test site :-)

• @DirectorBob What I've been doing instead of using SilkyPix, which I loathe, is shooting RAW + jpeg. I review the jpegs to see which pics I really want and then I use a hex editor to make them work in ACR. All you have to do is search and replace GH3 with GH4 and save the files. Once you do that they open up in ACR no problem.

It would be awesome if some programmer type could write a batch utility to do that with a folder of RW2 images. Anyone like that around here? ;-)

I hope Adobe updates ACR soon....

• @DirectorBob

Adobe updates CR every few weeks for the new cams that are out ... can't think of a "major" camera that was more than 16 days or so after 'release' for Adobe to get an updated ACR algo out to us. So ... could be a week more, but that should be tops. Hey, it's one of the pains of getting a new toy on first ship-date, you know? Everything in life has its ups & downs ... ;-)

• Hey guys how is this camera for stills in comparison to the GH2. I know there are reviews online but I would like to hear opinions from the Personal View community.

• From a DPReview poster:

• @Azo the GH4 is much better for stills. I also love holding the GH4 over the gh2. It feels really nice in the hands. Haven't been doing much video, but so far its really great.

• @x_worpig_x

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your feedback....