Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • I just received my GH4 today - BUT I just discovered that it does not work with my aftermarket GH3 battery grip NOR a transcend class 10 64GB sdxc card! The camera turns on with the grip with panasonic batteries, but it crashes as soon as you attempt to shoot a photo. The SDXC card worked just fine with a GH4 I tested out at NAB running 1.5 firmware, but it just says "Card Full" even after several formatting attempts. The card still works just fine with my GH2. Any suggestions? The camera shoots just fine with a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card, which has me thinking they might have locked out cards and grips from third party manufacturers on purpose.

• I've been trying to get an answer from Gerrygibbs WA for my pre-order. so far no reply. they are usually pretty good with communications. Expected early May but who really knows anymore ha.

• Anyone heard of expected date in Aussie? Dealers in WA have no news but one reckons there is a Panasonic event at the end of May so it's unlikely to be before then.

• WayWardCloud: try Hotrod Cameras in Hollywood.

• Does Anybody know where I can find a store with body only GH4 in stock in Los Angeles? I didn't go to Samy's because I figured I could wait a week more for my Amazon pre-order (ordered on April 14th). Amazon switched to 'out of stock' at the last minute and won't even give an estimate of availability. I called Samy's but of course they have none left. Any idea? :)

• Techradar have updated their review with some image quality comparisons...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-gh4-1218311/review/3#articleContent

The results make for interesting reading. They mention a slight softening of the image at high ISO compared to its peers, which seems at odds with other reviews? However, the raw image noise and dynamic range look incredible! Basically the camera seems to maintain good performance far better than the competition as the ISO increases (including the fuji xt1).

Looking forward to the arrival of mine this week (fingers crossed)...

• @miza Philip Bloom had this info on Twitter to day: @PhilipBloom: Good news I get a GH4 with the pro module tomorrow. Review won't be instant as usual. I will do it properly and take my time! :) https://twitter.com/philipbloom/status/463252158306340864 So I also hoping it to arrive soon.

Edit: @PhilipBloom: @benjaminbate if you are UK they all arrive tomorrow

• Are there any news when GH4 will be in stock in EU stores?

• Too rich for my blood (and needs) but I'll be interested to see how others do with it.

• Per GB, SSD is cheaper than high performance flash cards. Monitors with scopes and waveform are notoriously expensive, especially high resolution. The Shogun will represent good value if you need the features.

• $2K is a chunk of change, just for a recorder and monitor. Plus, you still have to buy the SSD drive. I'll buy it though, if the footage proves to be that much better than the internal SD card.

• @AdamT True, recording 4K with true sensor bit depth will be costly. The alternative for HDMI will be the Ninja Star ($295) which supports HD at 10bit 4:2:2, but not 4K. It all depends on your priorities. As it stands I'm quite impressed with the internal recording of the GH4.

• Unfortunately the Shogun is going to cost around $2,000 and it's still months away from release.

• @killagram @kevin_kirchman Thank you both.

4K 10bit 4:2:2 via GH4's HDMI out: The Atomos Shogun. Got it.

What a nightmare. I can finally get some sleep tonight! Thanks again.

• @maddog15 No problem! I've been a fan of the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q for awhile and figured they'd support the GH4, but unfortunately it only works in tandem with the YAGH. Fortunately the GH4 will work with the Atomos Shogun via the micro HDMI port and a bit cheaper then the 7Q too.

• Hi @maddog15, currently, there are not any 4k 10bit 4:2:2 external recorders available via HDMI. The first one is this Shogun, which hasnt been released yet. There is probably some test footage from early review units with the YAGH out to something like the Convergent Design SDI recorder. But as of now, there aren't any recorders that can take HDMI 4k 4:2:2.

• I know the camera just came out, but have any of you worked with 4K 10bit 4:2:2 external recording through HDMI? What external recording unit would you recommend? After @killagram clarified things for me, I'm considering the Atomos Ninja 2. Thoughts?

• @killagram Ahh ha! Very cool. Thank you.

• @maddog15 A few publications and reviews tend to misinterpret facts (surprise!). The truth is that the GH4 does indeed support 4K 10bit 4:2:2 via the micro HDMI port. It's discussed here @ 1:20:

• @bleach551 Thank you for the response but that really doesn't solve my quandary. Doesn't matter what specific external recorder is used. Just wondering if the only way to get 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 from the GH4 is through the DMW-YAGH Interface (SDI outputs). Is the GH4's HDMI out limited to 1080p regardless of if the camera is set and recording on 4K mode?

• @maddog15,

I believe the main reason for all of the interest in the Atomos Samurai is because it can capture the 4k 10-bit out from the GH4 and the 4K 8-bit out from the sony A7s through their hdmi ports.

• Can anyone tell me if this is true: "The only way to get 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 from the GH4 is by using the DMW-YAGH Interface in conjunction with a recorder like the Atomos Samurai Blade." I recently read the best you could get from the GH4's HDMI output is 1080p 10 bit 4:2:2 going to something like the Atomos Ninja 2. Does the GH4 down sample all 4K to 1080p when coming out of the HDMI?

Thanks in advance.