Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • From Camera Zone: The new Panasonic GH4 is put to the test in a shootout with the Canon 5D MarkIII & Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Panasonic : Introducing 4K Video Advantages – A Revolution in Videography

• @jleo, I saw the shootout video on 43rumours. I don't own either of the 3 shootout cams yet (still on my GH2's), so I wanted to check what the real detail differences are in 1080p. I took a screencap and matched the levels, saturation & temperatures in Photoshop (more or less). Then applied sharpening to the Pocket & 5DIII to match the GH4 (attached).

At 1080p the differences are much smaller than people think from unprocessed (or non-matching processed) images. Sure the 4k detail is there, and you can zoom/stabilise etc. But otherwise either camera can give you a pretty similar 1080p image detail-wise imo. The bigger issue for me is the horrible moire on the Pocket (otherwise seems great).

(remember that different lenses were used, so DOF is different and not possible to exactly match sharpness in fore/background)

Original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1008K
    Matched.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

From the start we felt the GH4 could be the most significant camera Panasonic has released so far, and after using it for almost two weeks we believe it will be a genuine game-changer. Not only is it a superior performer for still image capture, but to offer such a wide range of video options – many of them meeting professional requirements – puts the icing on an already attractive cake and takes the camera into areas we could only dream about previously.

http://photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4

sales60.jpg
    597 x 449 - 52K
  • Can anyone tell me if this is true: "The only way to get 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 from the GH4 is by using the DMW-YAGH Interface in conjunction with a recorder like the Atomos Samurai Blade." I recently read the best you could get from the GH4's HDMI output is 1080p 10 bit 4:2:2 going to something like the Atomos Ninja 2. Does the GH4 down sample all 4K to 1080p when coming out of the HDMI?

Thanks in advance.

• @maddog15,

I believe the main reason for all of the interest in the Atomos Samurai is because it can capture the 4k 10-bit out from the GH4 and the 4K 8-bit out from the sony A7s through their hdmi ports.

• @bleach551 Thank you for the response but that really doesn't solve my quandary. Doesn't matter what specific external recorder is used. Just wondering if the only way to get 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 from the GH4 is through the DMW-YAGH Interface (SDI outputs). Is the GH4's HDMI out limited to 1080p regardless of if the camera is set and recording on 4K mode?

• @maddog15 A few publications and reviews tend to misinterpret facts (surprise!). The truth is that the GH4 does indeed support 4K 10bit 4:2:2 via the micro HDMI port. It's discussed here @ 1:20:

• @killagram Ahh ha! Very cool. Thank you.

• I know the camera just came out, but have any of you worked with 4K 10bit 4:2:2 external recording through HDMI? What external recording unit would you recommend? After @killagram clarified things for me, I'm considering the Atomos Ninja 2. Thoughts?

• Hi @maddog15, currently, there are not any 4k 10bit 4:2:2 external recorders available via HDMI. The first one is this Shogun, which hasnt been released yet. There is probably some test footage from early review units with the YAGH out to something like the Convergent Design SDI recorder. But as of now, there aren't any recorders that can take HDMI 4k 4:2:2.

• @maddog15 No problem! I've been a fan of the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q for awhile and figured they'd support the GH4, but unfortunately it only works in tandem with the YAGH. Fortunately the GH4 will work with the Atomos Shogun via the micro HDMI port and a bit cheaper then the 7Q too.

• @killagram @kevin_kirchman Thank you both.

4K 10bit 4:2:2 via GH4's HDMI out: The Atomos Shogun. Got it.

What a nightmare. I can finally get some sleep tonight! Thanks again.

• Unfortunately the Shogun is going to cost around $2,000 and it's still months away from release.

• @AdamT True, recording 4K with true sensor bit depth will be costly. The alternative for HDMI will be the Ninja Star ($295) which supports HD at 10bit 4:2:2, but not 4K. It all depends on your priorities. As it stands I'm quite impressed with the internal recording of the GH4.

• $2K is a chunk of change, just for a recorder and monitor. Plus, you still have to buy the SSD drive. I'll buy it though, if the footage proves to be that much better than the internal SD card.

• Per GB, SSD is cheaper than high performance flash cards. Monitors with scopes and waveform are notoriously expensive, especially high resolution. The Shogun will represent good value if you need the features.

• Too rich for my blood (and needs) but I'll be interested to see how others do with it.

• Are there any news when GH4 will be in stock in EU stores?

• @miza Philip Bloom had this info on Twitter to day: @PhilipBloom: Good news I get a GH4 with the pro module tomorrow. Review won't be instant as usual. I will do it properly and take my time! :) https://twitter.com/philipbloom/status/463252158306340864 So I also hoping it to arrive soon.

Edit: @PhilipBloom: @benjaminbate if you are UK they all arrive tomorrow

• Techradar have updated their review with some image quality comparisons...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-gh4-1218311/review/3#articleContent

The results make for interesting reading. They mention a slight softening of the image at high ISO compared to its peers, which seems at odds with other reviews? However, the raw image noise and dynamic range look incredible! Basically the camera seems to maintain good performance far better than the competition as the ISO increases (including the fuji xt1).

Looking forward to the arrival of mine this week (fingers crossed)...