Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • Guys regarding the GH2 (hacked) vs GH3 debate - here is my 2c from using a hacked GH2 for about 2 years and about 1 year with the GH3.

GH2

+Sharper EVF +More detail in the image even vs the higher bit rates on GH3 +Low light is better in someways as the noise looks like film grain -Hack can crash camera, stops recording - horrible buttons and ergonomics

GH3

+Works with crappy SD cards - didn't need to pay $200 for an SD card but prices are lower now +Skin tones are better +Think dynamic range is better +Just works - good on commercial shoots +Better photos / stills +Weather proof +buttons ergo comics are much better

My number one gripe with the GH3 is the crap crap EVF and the inability for my to pull a focus in run and gun situation! Also the focus magnifications can't be used after you press record!

I can't wait to get my GH4 with focus assist (wow theirs a concept) of and if anyone wants to buy a GH3 for $800 :) .........(Just shot a piece with my GH3 and a buddy used his t2i (hacked) and I was impressed with this $400 camera's image so that's another option but no EVF but he managed to focus the thing OK.)

• moon T8 needs a few days on HBR. Sorry. So busy still. Hopefully next week I will release.

• I haven't been using the gh2 for awhile. However, I recently had a shoot where some equipment didn't arrive in time, so I used my gh2 as backup. After getting back into the edit with the gh2 moon t7 footage, I was amazed. The grain on this patch is just class. Love it. It made me curious about the gh3 and the latest gh4's look. For those that are using both, how does it compare to the gh2 patch's for feel and vibe?

• I was also wondering about moon T8

• To me, a little camera support would be nice, that was very shaky.

@driftwood: where's Moon T8?

• Still getting nice results with 'apocolypse now' series of hacks! Here's a video I shot on holiday using one ;)

• @andy68

Does this video have anything to do with Cluster X Series? Maybe you are posting it in the wrong forum or wrong thread? I don't understand why you are posting this in this thread.

• SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 TEST 4K:)

• Moon t7 :)24L.

• T7 noise / grain looks very amazing. I'm a huge fan of the kind of patern it forms. Plus it is very well distributed accross the whole image making the denoise (if necessary) goes very smooth while it maintains details.

• @jhonnyskulls

Very good content and clip. Can you explain what did you use to stabilise your GH2 ? and what is the follow focus ? Thanks

• Moon T7 + Sigma 30 + old nikon 80-200 AI-s. Thanks for moon and all the amazing work!

• I'm seeing the same as Burnet. The reason MT7 looks 'noisier' is that it's actually a more detailed image with fewer artifacts. That, to me, is what I consider a 'better image'.

• Nicer? The macroblocking makes Stock and Flowmotion look like you're looking through dirty glass or a shower curtain. The noise, that MT7 more fully resolved, is from being at ISO1600.

• I have attached frames from my GH2 zoomed in 400% (completely unscientific tests) of Stock, Flowmotion, and MoonT7. The MoonT7 seems to have a slight green shift, and has the most noise/grain "dots". Then I guess it just gets muddier/blurred as you go to Flowmotion, and then Stock. I don't know if having that grain there is supposed to be better? But Flowmotion/Stock looks nicer to me. Settings were all the same using a Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8, 1/50, ISO1600, 3200K, Nostalgic -1, -1, 0, -2

Stock.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 207K
    Flowmotion.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 281K
    MoonT7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 344K
  • A little german short film for my graduation as a media designer. I only used a no name shoulder rig, one panaleica 25mm lens and of course the gh2 with moon t7! :) A little filmconvert and some overlays in post...there was no time to do the color correction in davinci. cheers, daniel

_1040251.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 706K
  • my anamorphic moon TZ

• @victorgh2 great soft pans and youtube conversion. 24L sweet spot. Thanks for sharing.

• @GeoffreyKenner

Yea, i tried to do something similar in photoshop - noise+surface blur with gradient, but it requires a lot of time for rendering.

• Moon t7 24L.

• @ninurta I did a quick process to remove it, it's fairly easy. I did a crappy work though (fine detailed lost in the landscape). To do that properly -> 1) Add a grain layer to soften all the sky with grain which will mixed up with the banding. Try applying it only to the sky (use keying). Then Render and do a de-noise process to remove that grain / noise which will remove all the banding (do the denoise only in the sky with keying). If you are then very good at deep compositing, you can sample your own GH2 footage noise and reverse it back to the sky (use NukeX amazing grain/noise nodes for example). Best luck.

lol02.jpg
    1280 x 738 - 451K
  • View Full Screen for best quality A short daylight test -2 Moon T7, graded in FCPX.

• @olli66 you should probably find the proper topic for that question :)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters