Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • Anybody get a chance to check out my post above? LOL

• guys, short question...I am using the T5 hack...shooting concerts with two GH2's, one GH3 and one GH4 soon and additionally Gopro3 and Panasonic HC-X929...to which resolution/framerate should I set my cams?

• @olli66

I would shoot it at 24p so that you get the best quality out of the GH2, also it is the most reliable mode in terms of spanning. I modified Moon T-7, Moon T-5 and Moon T-4 so that it would span reliably in the 30p/720p modes but the quality is not as good as the 24p mode.

• should I set the other cams to 24p as well and render to 24p? I hardly know any concerts in 24p...

• Moon t7 :)

• should I set the other cams to 24p as well and render to 24p? I hardly know any concerts in 24p

@olli66 depends on what you are gonna do with it later, tv, web...?

• youtube main purpose and blu-ray video at times...

• 23.976 will be ok.

• hello, i used moon t7, is that banding normal for gh2 or it's a bug?

Untitled-1.jpg
    1280 x 738 - 549K
  • @olli66

The only reliable setting that I have found for 30p is Cake V2.3. Cake V2.3 offers excellent video quality for the 24p and 30p modes. So if you need to shoot in 30p you may want to consider this patch, it is super reliable and offers excellent video quality. I modified most of the 30p/720p settings in Flowmotion v2.02, Moon T-4, Moon T-5, etc to allow for reliable recording in the 30p/720p modes. I tested my modified versions of Moon T-4 pretty extensively with the Death Chart in 24p, 30p and the 720p modes and recorded for at least 1hr in those modes on the Death Chart. Keep in mind I did not change any of the 24p settings on any of the patches.

I experimented with recording in 24p and exporting to 30p, IMO this is a very good alternative to recording in 30p mode. The quality is outstanding if you have the export parameters (24p to30p) setup correctly. So this is really a hard decision and you must make the choice. IMO 24p allows the most flexibility and of course there are proponents on both sides of the fence in regards to recording in 24p or 30p.

The settings that I have to export 24p to 30p has its drawbacks though because it takes a long time to export (highest settings for export quality) but the video quality is outstanding. Ultimately you need to decide what is best for you and your workflow. I am a stickler for getting the absolute best quality out the GH2 whilst providing reliable recording. So that being the case even though it would be easier to shoot everything in 30p ( for your uses ) I would probably still shoot in 24p and export to 30p.

I attached the modified Moon T-4 versions so you can shoot in 30p mode with excellent quality. I also have the modified Moon T-5 versions attached, although I did not test Moon T-5 in the 30p/720p modes, it should work just the same as Moon T-4 because T-4 is basically the same as T-5 with the exception of the quantizer and a couple of other settings.

sete.ini
    setf.ini
    setg.ini
    setd.ini
  • thanks for all the info. could you give me more details about the 24p to 30p conversion? I usually just drop the clips in my timeline and let premiere or vegas do the conversion...

• @olli66 you should probably find the proper topic for that question :)

• View Full Screen for best quality A short daylight test -2 Moon T7, graded in FCPX.

• @ninurta I did a quick process to remove it, it's fairly easy. I did a crappy work though (fine detailed lost in the landscape). To do that properly -> 1) Add a grain layer to soften all the sky with grain which will mixed up with the banding. Try applying it only to the sky (use keying). Then Render and do a de-noise process to remove that grain / noise which will remove all the banding (do the denoise only in the sky with keying). If you are then very good at deep compositing, you can sample your own GH2 footage noise and reverse it back to the sky (use NukeX amazing grain/noise nodes for example). Best luck.

lol02.jpg
    1280 x 738 - 451K
  • Moon t7 24L.

• @GeoffreyKenner

Yea, i tried to do something similar in photoshop - noise+surface blur with gradient, but it requires a lot of time for rendering.

• @victorgh2 great soft pans and youtube conversion. 24L sweet spot. Thanks for sharing.

• my anamorphic moon TZ

• A little german short film for my graduation as a media designer. I only used a no name shoulder rig, one panaleica 25mm lens and of course the gh2 with moon t7! :) A little filmconvert and some overlays in post...there was no time to do the color correction in davinci. cheers, daniel

_1040251.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 706K
  • I have attached frames from my GH2 zoomed in 400% (completely unscientific tests) of Stock, Flowmotion, and MoonT7. The MoonT7 seems to have a slight green shift, and has the most noise/grain "dots". Then I guess it just gets muddier/blurred as you go to Flowmotion, and then Stock. I don't know if having that grain there is supposed to be better? But Flowmotion/Stock looks nicer to me. Settings were all the same using a Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8, 1/50, ISO1600, 3200K, Nostalgic -1, -1, 0, -2

Stock.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 207K
    Flowmotion.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 281K
    MoonT7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 344K
  • Nicer? The macroblocking makes Stock and Flowmotion look like you're looking through dirty glass or a shower curtain. The noise, that MT7 more fully resolved, is from being at ISO1600.

• I'm seeing the same as Burnet. The reason MT7 looks 'noisier' is that it's actually a more detailed image with fewer artifacts. That, to me, is what I consider a 'better image'.

• Moon T7 + Sigma 30 + old nikon 80-200 AI-s. Thanks for moon and all the amazing work!

• @jhonnyskulls

Very good content and clip. Can you explain what did you use to stabilise your GH2 ? and what is the follow focus ? Thanks

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters