Personal View site logo
Panasonic accelerates m43 cameras production, GH4 is big on preorders
  • 181 Replies sorted by
  • I don't really understand the consumer DSLR market - most people I know with DSLR cameras never remove the lens and never take the camera off auto. They ask me how I get a shot with a blurred background and I say I open the aperture on my fast primes so that I have a very shallow depth of field. They look at me like I'm speaking a different language. Most people that buy a DSLR would be much better served by a smaller sensor and fixed lens. But if they want something that looks the part then the lumix cameras are better for them than a Cannon with wider zoom range on the kit lenses and better AF, etc.

• Anyway i do not care if m43 sensors flow away, the important is the improvement in smaller sensor, as we can use in future m43 lens and adapters and speedboster etc.

• @Renovatio

At least ones I talked to.

• @MikeLinn how can you say all dealers are agitated?

• @valpopando

I don't think so. All dealers are really agitated, even after checking their own sources.

• is that a joke? tomorrow is April Fools' Day

• Not trying to be insensitive to people who rely on their m43 equipment to make a living as it's just a hobby for me, but hasn't this happened before? I mean has there been a photographic mount that people loved and then it went away after a few brief years? I'm seriously asking. Has this happened to another mount in the past? The reason I bought my first ILC camera from Pana and Oly was because of the light and small sizes. Yes, those new very small Sony FF cams look awesome but their lenses are still big and heavy, right? This is what I'll miss most if all of this ends up happening, the small and light sizes of m43 equipment. Perhaps the new light and small will be all of these 1" sensor lens point and shoot cams but most of those are fixed lens, I think. Still, I'll miss the m43 if it ends.

• That's it. I'm canceling my preorder tomorrow and getting in line for that new canon 1200D thingamabob. :)

• That's crazy. It does not make sense. M4/3 is the strongest mirrorless franchise.

• These are only roumors therefore cannot be classified as true or false. If Panasonic confirms them on 1st April then it's April's fool.... I hope

• well this contradicts this thread, doesn't it?

Nope. If you dropped 20% and after this increased 4% it is all correct.

• Weird that photography sites haven't picked it up. Oh well the current cameras have a good life left in them yet.

Luckily a year or so ago I started worrying about m43 and began selling my lenses and replacing them with ff glass.

• Sounds like I'll be able to buy a lot of gear cheap soon on EBay.

• Pana are on a roll with G series and will not give it up, at least I hope not! (edit) hmm, my comment has been edited (by a bot?) to remove reference to "today's special offer" ;-) Confirms my already deep suspicions about this.

• I also hope, that it´s not true. This really spoils my day ... =/

• @MarcioK Such is the risk of any investment ;-)

• @Mimirsan Some people (like me) lives in some parts of the world that m43 cameras are very uncommon (here they even are not oficially sold). It's already a pain to sell them for upgrades when they are still being manufactured - with Panasonic dropping out, it becomes borderline impossible. We have to sell everything very fast to minimize losses - and to move to other mount with a steady future.

It is a thing that could affect badly a lot of users in some places.

But I will wait to see how it develops - and if the @Shaveblog's rockets will appear.

• holy Christ, if this is true, I will sell all my Panasonic gear and jump ship to digitalBolex. If you read between the lines, Joe and Elle just made a huge announcement on ustream hours ago: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45609137

they are about to acquire all micro4/3 patents from Panasonic to bring it over to the D16!

@Vitaliy – now with Panasonic cutting it's own achilles' tendon any chance to hack the digitalBolex?

• Gold sales boosted 500% during the month of March in Japan. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-28/japanese-prepare-abenomics-failure-scramble-buy-physical-gold

My guess is that these are the employees like those two leaked that rush into gold stores. They just know for sure that the future is gloomy and try to prepare accordingly. And that Japanese gold rush tells that the situation is not about the losses in a particular company. It's systemic. Abenomics is done. The writing is on the wall.

• @whoopteedoobuckaroo

Well, Nikon is buying Sony's sensors for example. The D800 has the same one as the A7.

• Anyway if this was all true (oh man I do hope its true!) does this stop you using your current M43rds gear? Does it all suddenly stop working? You all love it right? How many more lenses and cameras do you need? GH4 will tide you over if you need 4k. ;-)

• DAMN!!

I just ordered a Voigtlander 42.5mm MFT to go with my Voigtlander 25 & 17.5mm! Talk about pissed off!! :(

• I'm going to feel like the biggest tool ever if this turns out to be some kind of joke after getting so worked up about it...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions