Personal View site logo
SanDisk Extreme SDHC Cards
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • Just got my SanDisk Extreme 45 MBs SDHC UHS1 card...I got the No Adverse Affects Hack 42 mbps hack on my GH2 and I tried it for 10 minutes in ETC mode, with shutter speed varying from 40 to 125, wobbled the camera all the time, of course mandatory shrub/trees...no issues...should I try something else, how do I crash test this card? Knowing that GH2 doesn't mess with UHS...

One fellow says he can't shoot video with this card, only photos, but he has the GH3...

• @Riker Maybe panning, and continues motion shots (like steadicam walking through house), might require more work by processor and SD card.

Any experienced hack setting and SD card testers out there to chime in on what's best crash proof testing?

• While we wait, I'll take my batteries out, SDFormatter is ending the full format right now, so I'll take the card and just walk around with SH mode on, 125 shutter...

My subjective impression is that the burst mode is way quicker now. My old cards were SanDisk Ultra SDHC 30 MBs and Transcend 32 GB SDHC, don't know the speed, doesn't say...blue card with rainbow above the logo :) None of them crashed with the NAA hack at 42mbps.

Hope the new card doesn't crash. I don't want to go back to stock FW :)

• Got home now...

SH @ 125 fps all the time, ETC all the time with 20mm pancake...walked thru the woods, shot trees, streams, shrubs, even rocked some shrubs to make up for lacking wind...

Ran it for 1 hours straight, got home, no errors...I guess this card works fine. But I'll do another long test to make sure.

EDIT - just tried shooting 24H, shutter at 40, ISO 6400, pointed at the monitor with some illusion patterns looping from YouTube, those hyno-wheels, infinite tunnels and similar stuff...the card doesn't span, stops recording after 13 minutes.

Old Transcend 32 GB Class 10 card doesn't span either.

WTF??

Edit 2 : 24L mode spans fine. I guess I'll need to switch to 24L when I'll need long takes.

Just out of curiosity - if none of my cards aren't able to span with this 42mbps hack, should I also be worried about card read error in the middle of the recording?

Screenshot 2014-02-25 17.44.31.jpg
    328 x 116 - 17K
  • Are realiable the Extreme/Extreme Plus @ 80mb/s for GH2 hack?

• Question:

Tried the H2testw on this card.

///////// First time, after quick format with windows explorer: The media is likely to be defective. 29.7 GByte OK (62308335 sectors) 8.5 KByte DATA LOST (17 sectors) Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors) 3.5 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 7 sectors) 5 KByte corrupted (10 sectors) 0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors) First error at offset: 0x000000006eb2d600 Expected: 0x000000006eb2d600 Found: 0x000000006eb2a559 H2testw version 1.3 Writing speed: 16.9 MByte/s Reading speed: 18.5 MByte/s

///////// Second time, after quick format with sdformatter: The media is likely to be defective. 29.7 GByte OK (62308345 sectors) 3.5 KByte DATA LOST (7 sectors) Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors) 1.5 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 3 sectors) 2 KByte corrupted (4 sectors) 0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors) First error at offset: 0x0000000006b06a00 Expected: 0x0000000006b06a00 Found: 0x0000000006b002a5 H2testw version 1.3 Writing speed: 16.9 MByte/s Reading speed: 18.5 MByte/s H2testw v1.4

Defective....what the hell...?

• I tested 5 of my Sd cards, bought throughout last 2 years...all of them tested "The media is likely to be defective" and couple of KB in data lost. Whats the deal here?

• @Riker

Try to use different software. Otherwise defective SD cards are very common thing.

• hi unfortunatly my gh2 does not detect my sdhc card after eraseing ALL files (also erased files windows said could be vital for function of card think one was cache or something).i formated card afterwards with pc.it works in pc but gh2 says no card inserted.anyone got an idea how to fix it.unsed sd formatter but same thing. card is a 32 gig scandisk extreme hd video 30mbs.

• Has anyone tested the new Sandisk Extreme Pro 280MB/s cards in a GH2 to see how they fare?

• Are the two preferred SD cards from the FAQ still the following?

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 95 MB/s, 32 GB
    SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 95 MB/s, 64 GB

I'm still using the GH2, and finally want to get into hacking it. I just wanted to make sure that now that it is the end of 2014, there aren't any newer SD cards that would work better. Does the SDXC version still have the issues with the "file number limit exceeded" error? Hearing about that, I'm leaning towards the SDHC version, but 64GB would be nice.

• @Magic815 I think the SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s card is still considered the gold standard. I used it for 2 years with no problem with various hack settings. But, I just ordered and received the Transcend 64GB card thats is 95MB/s read and 60 MB/s write because I've heard it does well with the hack settings and it only costs $35 (vs $98 for the Sandisk). I'll be testing it this coming weekend with a hack that comes in at ~100 Mb/s bitrate and will post my results.

• Awesome, I'd love to see your results. Good to know that the SDXC "file number limit" issue may not be that widespread. If I'm going to buy an SD, I'd prefer to go with the 64GB size. I just wanted to make sure it didn't still have known downsides to the SDHC 32GB version.

• I ordered 2 of SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD 95MB/s UHS-I SDXC Memory Card cards recently for my Moon 7 hacked GH2 and now i urgently need to upgrade to a GH4 camera setup for a gig. I wanted to know whether these cards work well without any freezes or issues on all modes of video on the GH4 including the 4K 100 mbps and FULL HD 200mbps modes? (attaching a pic of the cover of the card i have which has the exact model look and details on it.

Need urgent experience based/expert opinion on this please

sankdisk.JPG
    1200 x 1503 - 188K
  • Thank you Vitaliy. Phew..thats a relief

• @Magic815 I tested the Transcend card with 60 MB/s Write and 95 MB/s read, and it didn't work consistently on the hack setting I was using, which was Canis Skin Tones Soft. All the tests came back with a bitrate of 147Mb/s. The camera was able to do one 4 minute recording. Then I setup a different shot, and repeatedly it would stop after 5 seconds with an error regarding the SD card's write speed. So it may work with some of the hack settings, but for anything ~147 Mb/s and up, I wouldn't trust it for anything serious. (I was in fully manual mode, using a non-Panasonic lens that had no electronic connection to the camera.) I've read reviews that it handles the 100Mb/s mode on the GH4 just fine, so the card's capacity must be somewhere between 100-147 Mb/s.

I'm going back to using the gold standard for GH2 - the Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s. The price just dropped to $91 at B&H and Adorama.

• I just bought a Samsung Pro 64 card with 90read/80 write, for $60. The reviews on amazon seemed promising with some guys that ran tests on it. And it's listed as top value card on some German SD card testing website. I bought my GH2 used, already had a hack installed. I don't know which one but its recording at 149mb/s when using 24p. I wish there was a way to determine which hack was uploaded on it. I don't really want to mess with the firmware.

• No. @LiquidAlpinist

Sure @Magic815

So I must buy SDXC or SDHC for latest Driftwood patch?

SanDisk Extreme "SDXC" Card UHS-I Class 10 (45MB/s) 64GB

That is good for Cluster DREWnet v9 Boom patch with "SPANNING" technique?

I have one "Extreme" 45mb/s SDHC 16gb sometimes spanning fine with my tripod but getting freeze after moving light.

Just another SDXC cards,

• Strontium Nitro Plus 4K SDXC UHS-1 U3 Class 10 128GB

• Samsung MicroSDXC PRO UHS-I Class 10 (90MB/s) with SDXC Adapter 64GB

Samsung SDHC

Toshiba Exceria Pro "SDHC" UHS-II (260MB/s) 32GB

Any idea?

SHDC & SDXC deals here I found! http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3157/deals-sdhc-sdxc-high-speed-cards-ssd-storage-deals#Item_21

sandisk-extreme-sdxc-card-uhs-i-class-10-45mb-or-s-64gb-sdsdx-064g-x46-11.jpg
    279 x 279 - 16K
    toshiba-exceria-pro-sdhc-uhs-ii-260mb-or-s-32gb-sd-x032gr7uw240-black-1.gif
    500 x 500 - 66K
    samsung-microsdxc-pro-uhs-i-class-10-90mb-or-s-64gb-mb-mg64d-5.gif
    500 x 500 - 47K
    strontium-nitro-plus-sdxc-uhs-1-u3-class-10-128gb-srp128gsdu1-black-1.jpg
    428 x 428 - 62K
    strontium-nitro-plus-sdxc-uhs-1-u3-class-10-128gb-srp128gsdu1-black-1.jpg
    428 x 428 - 62K
  • Interesting reading from the start of this thread, where the little 8gig cards cost $25 each (thus 64gigs worth would cost a couple of hundred bucks, vs only $59 now for a 64gig card.)

• On addressing a previous post on another thread (link below) on whether U3 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s will work with the GH2 the same as the U1 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s which have been available for a while, I got an answer from SanDisk about the query and, if it would work, then at what speed. Sadly enough, they still did not really address the question.

The answer really leaves us nowhere except to be in touch with Panasonic. I guess I can try that tomorrow...

Original thread where I placed the question and a small discussion followed:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/196440#Comment_196440

Here is Sandisk's response:

"Dear ,

I understand that you would like to know if SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I Memory Card of 64GB is compatible with your Panasonic GH2 camera.

We have checked and found that your Panasonic camera is compatible with our card.

You were requested the speed specifications of the card, and as we discussed before this card is a UHS-I card. Seems that your camera is not recognizing the U1 speed as you mentioned and performance is lower than you expect we cannot guarantee you that the U3 speed will have a good performance on your camera. It may be work fine with your camera, but the highest speed is not guaranteed as requested.

The minimum speed that the card will perform is 10MB/s. You can see those specifications in the link below: Speed Ratings (performance) for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards

However, we would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your device for further information prior to proceeding with a purchase. Since from our side this card has been tested successfully and should be working normally with your camera and provide you a good speed performance.

For future reference, you can check SanDisk’s online Product Compatibility Tool; this application allows customers to verify if the SanDisk product that they intend on buying is indeed compatible with their device. The application also suggests all compatible products for a wide range of devices. That way you are always certain that the product you are about to purchase is compatible with your device.

We remain at your service for any additional information."

So, still no word on U3 compatbility.

• If it has a class 10 rating, then it is at least compatible at that speed.

Found this review on amazon for the 64gb U3 http://www.amazon.com/review/R27JYXV9F6XIC5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005LFT3UW "Great card and now my hacked GH2 can write data at 6x the legal AVCHD data rate, shhhhhhh don't tell."

Found this review of the 128Gb U3 version. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082349-REG/sandisk_sdsdxp_128g_a46_128gb_extreme_pro_uhs_i.html "If looking for fast class 10 SD card for your Hacked GH2 this is it. With this card you can use all of the highest bitrate firmwares available. All forums on the subject say to use the 64GB extreme pro card but that is because they 128gb card wasn't available back when the GH2 hacks were being tested. This card will hold a days worth of shooting All-Intra. Best price from b&h, its like buying Bulk GB!"

There is no more to discuss if the U3 will work. Just make sure it says class 10 and purchase it.