Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • I need a nd fader because is handy. Is there any recomandation?

• You'll need to do a forum search, but my understanding is that the Genustech Eclipse fader nd works pretty well on the pocket - perhaps @Vic Harris or @Kholi can chime in.

• Hoya has a circular 3-400 variale density filter. Are good enough? vicharis said that 4x4 hoays are the best...

• @spacewig Uhhh, there was a link to the results. Odd

• @crisvpl Hoya doesn't make the 4x4 filter yet, but they are working on them. If yo want 4x4 your best bet might be the Skiers on here though they only go to 1.2.

• @mrbill And yes, if you don't have the money the newer Genus seems to be ok though you still will have some work to do in post but not too bad. Of course you'll need the IR/UV cut.

• @vic Harris - so just to clarify - best option is the hoyapro nd in various strengths, plus HoyaPro IR cut filter. These in any particular order?

• @vicharris Do you need the Hoya IR filter when using the Hoya ProNDs?

• I spent quite a lot of time hunting down the right NDs up until the Hoyas popped up. If they didn't I would be a mattebox owner and TrueND customer because that is as close as you get to accurate, IR, and minimal color shifts outside of ProNDs.

The Hoya ProNDs IMO are one of the best things to happen to no budget filmmaking in general, it's only a matter of time before word spreads from that thread into the community.

Not going to post any links but its probably better to google "ProND" and "pocket" or bmcc to find the info you guys need, as I'm sure it's fine off topic in some way.

It'll cover the IR cut and show examples, and some other community members have done tests as well.

I'm going to buy an few more IR cuts and just use them as UV protectors from now on, because it never comes off of any lens on the camera, and neither do the ProNDs.

In fact, when the weaker ProND comes out ill probably wear it indoors. =P they rock.

• Yep, just google ProND, Hoya, Tiffen, BMCC, BMPCC and maybe our names and you'll find everything and more. Too much to repost here.

• @vicharris Thanks so much. I will order some ProND filters (drat, in 77mm, they are even more expensive than the Tiffen WW kit that I bought, but the results are worth the price). That sounds like the best option.

While checking my equipment, I found that I already have the Hoya ProND 10-stop filter in 77mm for still photography (for which I paid $120). Had forgotten that it was a ProND. That was a nice surprise!

The five filter set is much more reasonable in 55mm, which will fit all of my lenses with the correct step-down ring except for my 7.5mm Rokinon which has no filter threads. The word must be out on those filters as the 77mm set is backordered.

• @trackzillas and @kholi It sounds like a good idea to use those IR Cut filters and so doing will keep me from having to buy the 5 filter ProND kit immediately. I will definitely go with the ProND filters later this year. Thanks for the heads up!

• @kholi Those are some expensive UV protectors ;) Funny thing is, I did a two camera shoot and totally forgot about that. Only had one IR/UV filter so just said f*#k it! Wasn't for any paid gig, just a submission video for my girlfriend on Shark Tank so it really didn't matter.

• And the costs just keep adding up :-) I ordered a 52mm Hoya IR Cut for my smaller m4/3 and Nikkor glass for now. 77mm IR Cut will come later with the 77mm ProND kit when I get the cash - so that's 'only' another 600 bucks - lol

• I don't know if people here can help me. I plan to make a documentary about a family member who happens to be someone quite famous. After researching I bought the Black Magic Pocket camera mainly due to its smallness so not to be intrusive.

My problem is my laptop seems to struggle with the PRORES footage and so am looking to buy an iMac to edit the Doc with. After researching I'm not going to touch RAW (I think) so am looking to get an iMac up and running that can with no problem edit the ProRes HQ.

The problem is i'm on a budget, not a really tight one but I bought a lot of equipment so I need to not go crazy on the computer. To cut a long story short I am wondering which iMac will cut ProRes HQ. I want to buy the low end one with iris pro graphics but I can't find a definitive answer to whether it will work great. Loads of opinions but no personal experience using the iris pro 21.5" with ProRes HQ on this camera.

Can anyone tell me what they EXPERIENCE editing with the base model? Any advice on buying an imac would also be good but I'm first trying to go cheap with the iris pro model.

• I think a lot of people on this forum (myself included) have run into this issue. It's been discussed that editing in proxy will work on slower machines. I have a late 2010 iMac (pre-thunderbolt) and this has been my solution rather than spend another few $k. NoFilmSchool has a decent article regarding editing with proxies. Should come right up in a google search.

• I'm not sure why there is so much voodoo and dancing around what seems to me to be a very straightforward question: i.e. if one has an ND filter and wants to add an IR cut filter to film with their bmpcc, will a Hoya IR cut, in addition to the ND, do the job or is there an inherent issue using ND filters that are NOT Hoyas with the bmpcc?

In my particular case, I own a set of the tiffen indie NDs. If I stick a Hoya IR cut before/after one of these ND filters, will this work OK when filming with the bmpcc, or will there be a color-cast that I should be aware of?

If there has already been some tests done, which apparently is the case, would someone be kind enough to post the link to said test so I can read the results? The info is apparently is out there but I have had no luck finding it.

Thanks in advance.

• @Vapourtrail I'm asking a far simpler question of whether the baseline iris pro imac can edit ProRes HQ. I know it can but the issue is what will the performance be?

• If you don't do multitrack it's OK for editing. Problem is color correction and running Resolve.

What do you mean by Iris? There are NVidia or AMD graphics.

• @Sarah1991 maybe you think again about the choice of the camera for your task? You will find some other issues as audio, moire, powering the BMPCC, expensive fast SD cards, disk space and and a time consuming workflow too. With a C100 you have ND filters , XLR audio and beautiful colors out of the box. For a doku project I probably would prefer a GH3 over an RAW camera. If you are not an experienced film maker I'd highly recommend to go an easier way at the beginning than with a BMD raw camera. my 0,02$

• Seems my question is not hitting home. I already bought the camera, love the image and the workflow is simple with ProRes but I am using a very old apple laptop. So I want to know from someone who used it how the iris pro baseline iMac model is performing with ProRes HQ natively. Its a documentary I plan to shot none in RAW, ProRess is fine.

Scroll down, you will see the baseline model is now using iris pro. I want to know from someone who is actually using it.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/imac

• Sorry for misunderstanding. I have no experience with this model in practice. If you're on budged I would consider the previous model with nVidia Graphics as refurbished over the Intel Graphics

• @spacewig

My post was edited, not sure what to tell you man.

• @Sara1991 I don't have any experience with the entry level iMac you mentioned and am thus unable to give solid advice on the Iris Pro Graphics.

This article benchmarks Video Cards and shows that the Iris card is pretty much at the bottom of the heap for graphics performance. Davinci Resolve, if it runs at all, will have very poor performance. I would expect similar results with either Final Cut X or Premiere Pro. You might be able to mitigate this by using proxy edits as previously suggested, but you really should consider ordering the best graphics card you can afford because you cannot upgrade this on most Apple products any more. You can always add after market memory.

I hope this helps with your decision.

• I second this, rather than a current model with Intel graphics go for a second hand or refurbished one with NVidia. Many editing and color grading software is relying on the GPU these days. Color correction will be no fun at all with Intel graphics and why own a camera with good DR if you can't color grade?