Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @AZScott

I completely agree with everything you said. :). The reason it's cut the way it is is because the two subjects are not the best on camera and they stumbled a lot, so I resorted to the CU a lot more than I originally planned. To put it into perspective, the three-minute video was pieced together from a 90-minute shoot! The fella on the right is particularly bad on camera (probably the worst I've worked with, and I do a lot of interviewing), so just getting the edit to where it is now is an accomplishment. :)

• @trackzillas

Just a bit of sharpening inside of resolve. I think I kept it at the default of 10. If it weren't facial CUs, then I would have taken it higher. The key for me was using a light meter. I don't find the zebras to always be accurate in-camera (I haven't tested external waveforms).

The grading was done manually with no luts. Since completing this project I have discovered some great luts, including captain hook's lut. It's a great lut that takes a lot of my test footage 80% of the way. I did a big shoot at a hospital last week under nasty fluorescent lights, but his lut gave my footage some quick polish when I met with the clients the next morning.

• @Tron thank you.. gonna try it out. If you have more tips and tricks please let know.

• @pinger007 Thank you soo much for those tips.. yeah @kholi does know his stuff when it come to BMD Cameras. You are pretty good grading.. ProRes files are the hardest to get right but you nailed it. Keep me updated on you new videos.

GOD Bless

• I am loving the BMPCC after one day of shooting.. The image is sharp, the amount of detail amazing, color separation is excellent yet it still retains it's organic nature shooting ProRes not even in RAW mode WOW.... haven't tried RAW as of yet because my workflow will be mostly ProRes. I own a Canon 50D and shoot RAW with it, the Pocket is sharper, own a GH2 and would have to say that it surpasses it as well. Whoever said the BMPCC images are soft I can firmly say that they are wrong I guess they don't really know how to focus with it, or using the wrong set of lens. A couple more things I like to cover The crop factor is a none issue don't listen to all the hoopla talk about Full Frame, S35, APS-C Sensors.. I still get some nice shallow depth of field. Another thing the screen being really bad I was outside in direct sunlight and was still able to pull focus and see my screen off course you need some kind of sun hood as so any other camera c'mon people stop the bashing. The menu is simple and intuitive very easy to navigate love it.. The shadows holds-up nicely, even when exposing for highlights the shadows still hold nicely and clean. All I can say is that Blackmagic Design did a wonderful job.. even without the ability to delete files in camera, even with the lack of an histogram, even with the Batteries life being none existent that was a joke but it's bad you will need 4-5 batteries they are cheap people, even with the lack of touchscreen, even with an ok internal audio recording this camera is still Epic. I see it as a real Movie making Camera, and an A Camera to say the least.. Despite all the saying that it's not an A camera don't believe all the chatter and noise out there it's better than you'll ever expect. A long write-up I know but I had to clear the air, and make others who are thinking on buying one more informed. Conclusion for the Quality you get, Price, and Value it's a must have Camera & I must say ahead of it's time.. you got my full support Blackmagic.

• @TrackZillas

Welcome to the club, glad you are enjoying it. The 'hoopla' about the crop factor isn't really about shallow DOF, but more so about the lack of really wide glass (eg. 24mm full frame equivalent). Was wondering what glass you were playing with?

• @last_SHIFT Thank you.. I got you about the full frame equivalent but really I have no problem with the field of view that I'm getting. I'm currently using the infamous Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Pana 14 - 42mm, Asahi Takumar 28mm f 3.5.. The 50mm & up glasses that I own I haven't messed around with yet. The IQ on that camera is something else, and the DR in ProRes is so impressive.. I played around with some Arri Alexa footage in the past for a project I was working on and the Pocket footage is so reminiscent of that Arri ProRes. What glasses are you using with your BMPCC ?

• @TrackZillas I've been saying it's an A cam for some time.....and I've seen it as a A cam for a possible theatrical release in the US. So to all that say the opposite, especially those who've never shot with one, I chuckle :)

• @Trackzillas Are you running into any problems with the 20mm? It's weird, I had no issues with my first BMPCC but I sent it back due to dead pixels. The newest copy of my BMPCC doesn't play nice with the 20mm, often changing aperture randomly and focus shifting. I updated the firmware of the BMPCC and the lens is up to date on Firmware too. I think it has something to do with which generation 20mm. I think I have the 1st gen...

• @vicharris I'm glad we on the same page. BMPCC in theatrical release What!!!! can't wait to see that thanks for letting me know, post some more info about it when you find out a release date. I'm chuckling right now myself ;) They just don't know how special this piece of equipment is, gonna buy another one as a "B" cam..

• @TrackZillas

I'm using Nikkor 28/2 AI and 50/1.8 AIS - with BMPCC Speedbooster - also using the Panny 20/1.7 and 12-35/2.8, and Oly 45/1.8. Unfortunately, haven't had much time to play since I got it 6 weeks ago - also waiting on my Hoya UV/IR cut and stuff like that. There's also stuff like needing time to learn learning resolve, etc :-p

• @kevin_kirchman No Problems at all with my 20mm I own the 1st gen.. which is the black one. The silver one which is the 2nd Gen.. was giving problems not the first gen.. Also make sure you have BMPCC firmware 1.5 and up now they have 1.6 but it does not add any improvements on the Pocket Camera only the Production 4K cam. Hope you get it working soon.. that 20mm is my go to lens any day.

• @last_SHIFT Your collection of lenses is on that BeastMode nice.. I tip my hat to you sir impressive. Yeah I gotta get me a Hoya IR cut filter need that ASAP to get better images. What size are you getting the 55mm thread one or the 77mm ? Big price difference huuh. I also have the Tiffen Water Whites ND Collection from Shane Hurlbut.. those are really nice Zero shift in color. Davinci Resolve has a steep learning curve but once you get it you get it, just gotta learn the basics than it will all make sense.

• @TrackZillas Gotta go with the Hoyas on these cameras man for ND. We've tested out many kinds and that whole Able Cine test was BS. I tried to ask them about it and they wouldn't respond. Tiffen IRNDs are crap on BM cameras. Step up to all 77mm to prevent any problems in the future for sure.

• @vicharris thanks for letting me know.. gonna get a set of Hoyas than UV, IR, and ND yeah you right 77mm is future proof.

• @vicharris can you please put some links to the Hoyas UV,IR,ND.

Thanks

• @vicharris Can you please elaborate how the Tiffin Water White ND filters are a problem on the Pocket Camera? This is not good news as I have a set and was planning on using them. Thanks

• I can only add to the positive remarks here. I've used my BMPCC since November, today my BMPCC Speedbooster arrived, and I also bought the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 - with the SB this is an absolutely amazing combination... What else to ask for?

• @RodCole The Tiffen IRNDs are the real problem here. That test Able Cine did was completely wrong. We've gotten horrible color shifts and other problems with the Tiffen set. I did a test with the whole set. I think some of the guys tried the WW Nds but still preferred the Hoyas though I could be wrong. If you go with another brand, I would at bare minumin by the Hoya IR/UV cut filter to go along with standard NDs. I think some of the guys have been getting good results using that and the new Genus Vari ND. But in the end, everyone who has tested multiple brands, ends up with the Hoyas. I will have to say the initial impressions of people using the 4x4 Skiers has been pretty good but they don't go very high and I haven't seen a stacking test yet.

Actually, I have a 4x4 1.2 WW ND around here somewhere. As soon as the rain stops, I'll throw it on my mattebox with the Hoya IR/UV cut and see if I get the same shitty green image I got from the Tiffen IRNDs. Totally forgot I had some normal 4x4 NDs around here :) Message me in a few days if I haven't gotten back to you. Little busy here.

• @GMC I'll agree MB did a fantastic job with the BMPCC booster. Improved the optics over the first model. It's stayed on my pocket since the day I got it. It's only come off recently so I can shoot some stuff with SLR's new anamorphic lens attached to the Sigma 18-35.

• @vicharris @RodCole I see I have the none IRND's Shane talked about that also Wooh relief :) cause those ND cost a pretty penny.. Now I only have to get the Hoya IR filter and I'm good to go.

• Actually, I have a 4x4 1.2 WW ND around here somewhere. As soon as the rain stops, I'll throw it on my mattebox with the Hoya IR/UV cut and see if I get the same shitty green image I got from the Tiffen IRNDs.

@vicharris - i did this combo amongst the other stuff i tried - i made stills of the 4x4 1.2 WW with and without the Hoya IR cut - its after the 1.5IRND image and just before the VND ones

• @CaptainHook You know, I felt like you did but wasn't sure so I didn't want to say anything.

Still the consistency of those damn Hoyas is just great during editing.

• @captainhook And what was the result? Are the tiffen ND's useable with a Hoya IR cut in front?