Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @AdamT

I am ok to discuss Panasonic statements, actual tests and such. Not Voldemort fantasies.

• Not Voldemort fantasies, Lol!!!!!

• No links to shops who just want preorders here. Use your head, please.

• If the price for the camera and the DMW-YAGH add-on proves to be correct, that's about $800 more for the complete package than the Blackmagic Designs 4k Cinema Camera with internal 4k 10 bit recording. That's especially if you need the "YAGH" for 4k out to a recorder.

What would Panasonic be thinking here??? Do you guys believe they just shot themselves in the foot? Did they not think about the competition breathing down their necks?

• What would Panasonic be thinking here??? Do you guys believe they just shot themselves in the foot? Did they not think about the competition breathing down their necks?

How about to stop discussing seriously prices made up by shops to get preorders? For money people do nasty things.

Next up. Black Magic camera exist in the amount of few cameras sent to leading resources for now. It uses EF mount (very bad decision for owners of many lenses). It has some issues with sensor as BM rushed to use any suitable and available (to them) sensor at the time to get 4K. It is camera with bad screen, very few features, without EVF, non functioning AF (if just barely). And made for very small niche, yet with big amount of flame.

• We need to ascertain just how much that DMW-YAGH is absolutely needed. If it turns out the camera can send out clean 4k at 10 bit 4:2:2 and PCM audio to a recorder without that attachment, then great; if not, then this is a bone of contention. One can always get a Juicedlink or some other pre-amp for cleaner internal audio that isn't tremendously expensive.

Hopefully Nick Driftwood will get some specific info from Panasonic.

• We need to ascertain just how much that DMW-YAGH is absolutely needed. If it turns out the camera can send out clean 4k at 10 bit 4:2:2 and PCM audio to a recorder without that attachment, then great; if not, then this is a bone of contention. One can always get a Juicedlink or some other pre-amp for cleaner internal audio that isn't tremendously expensive.

This attachment is made for work to make it ready to run solution for people who used to this, not for speculation.

I also want to fully understand were and why exactly you need "4k at 10 bit 4:2:2"? Do you understand that color resolution increase at 4K is much less valuable (just due to human vision restrictions)? Do you understand that good properly calibrated large 4K monitor with 10-12bit panel is still not free? That it must support HDMI 2.0 as well as your not entry level GPU?

This camera is a tool. You check reviews, measurements, check your biggest customers requirements, make calculations, check how much more income it can bring, how soon you can return money. You do not make flame with speculations and write (just to write) how extra $200 is too much for you.

• Let's just wait and see how much it comes out to. I really doubt that it will cost that much.

• Amen!

I'm chuckling reading most of the comments. Panasonic did something bold, and 99% of the GH4 buyers won't need the YAGH. That 1% will pay for it because they have to, and the fact that this option exist is great. Could be a great rental piece btw

• What I can see on the Panasonic pdf page 15, where it states 4:2:2 10 bit Output in creative mode (with a star) note saying that It is not possible to write 4:2:2 8 bit to the SD card or take pictures at the same time. I'm not an expert but that is how I read it.

• What do you guys think?

If the cost of the camera's 1,700.00 and the YAGH is 2,000.00?

How does that affect your decisions?

Also, it is fun to say YAGH. Sounds like a guy falling into a canyon in some remote area. YAAGGGHHH

• @LongJohnSilver

Looks like that review was full of mistakes. why would you use 1/30th of a second for 30 FPS 4K video? He doesn't seem to understand what memory card it needs either.

I really wish Panasonic would give these pre-production models to technical people and not to ignorant people like the "Dude" guy they tried for the GH3.

• @kholi If it cost that much it will be well overprice I think, I would still be interested in the GH4 Body only if I can get 96fps 10bit 422 out of the Micro HDMI. By the way great job with the BMCC4k you made the camera shine man, images are so clean, crisp @ the same time soft in texture and the colors best I have seen on any camera besides the Alexa.. & you only shot ProRes 4K WOW!!!! can only imagine what Raw will look like. Got one question.. how do you think the Highlights hold compare to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera? Big difference, or a slight difference? In conclusion the BMCC4K is looking real good to me right about now with the new price drop.. GH4 really needs to be priced right for it to appeal to a lot of shooters in my opinion cause Blackmagic Design offerings are hard to pass-on.

• @mpgxsvcd,

he mentioned that the 1/30th shutter speed was the only one that worked in the camera that he had.

"The only dif­fer­ence was that the GH3 was record­ing at its high­est video res­o­lu­tion 1920x1080 at 72mb/s ALL-I 24fps while the GH4 was record­ing at 4K at 100mb/s IPB 30fps. Note: This was the ONLY video set­ting work­ing on our pre­re­lease GH4. Other set­tings were avail­able but the cam­era was not able to record. I’ll be adding sam­ple footage and more images in the next cou­ple of days."

• That article also mentions something we haven't heard yet:

... but the cam­era is capa­ble of record­ing DCI com­pli­ant 4K at 200Mbps.

It is possible his prototype firmware had this bitrate available for DCI 4k?

• @bleach551

1/30 of second would not be the shutter speed I would select for 30p or for almost any frame rate for that matter. He just said that 30p was the only one available. He didn't say that he was limited to 1/30th of a second.

• @PiotrJ

I wonder if it is capable of it but they decided for other reasons that they shouldn't include it. For example if the 100 Mb/sec IBP simply is better than the 200 Mb/sec All-I for 4K.

• @mpgxsvcd,

You're correct, I meant to say frame rate not shutter speed, my apologizes.

• @TrackZillas --

I didn't think anyone on this site sawr that footage. Thanks for checking it out. Hoping to have some more up soon. I'll answer the questions in the other thread at some point, don't want to derail this one.

The pricing structure of the GH4 I don't think will be an issue, at least not for the camera body, batteries, cards. Where it gets sort-of-expensive and becomes a completely different camera? YAGH.

I'm finding it a little hard to believe Panasonic wouldn't make it very clear that the HDMI port could send out a live 4K feed, as it would be another major selling point of the camera. If they did, and you can grab the 4K Live feed (not the playback feed) then that will be interesting...

If you can't, then your only options on release are the 7Q and Ki-Pro, neither of which are cheap. You also then need to power the camera, mount your accessories, etc.

And, we're still waiting for the first user frames... which will ultimately split the pack just like the GH3 footage.

I'm following along... I had my friend in Japan ready to take my money for an early order, even though I kind of knew what it looked like etc., but once official footage was out I decided to nix that.

• @kholi Thanks for replying Kholi, yeah I'm surprised myself that almost no one here saw your beautiful BMCC4K video... Can't wait until you post the details man that camera I believe will be a force to recon with when people realize it's power. As far as the GH4 goes the 7Q, or Ki-Pro are way too expensive for most, it would make the GH4 set-up way too expensive. I don't think Panasonic would sabotage their own product (YAGH) enabling 4K 10bit 422 via Micro HDMI port will make decrease YAGH sells by 95% guaranteed, that's their only selling point for really selling the YAGH.. Don't forget the overseas version will be limited to 30mins of record time. Let me know when you post the details alright.

• Which Kholi video?

• @SuperSet Go to the link below.. vimeo.com/86378280

• Among other improvements of GH4 is the electronic viewfinder, both the OLED VF-sensor with 2,396K dots equivalent and the eyepiece optics are upgraded.

Besides focus peaking and zebra, Panasonic has provided a possibility to display a monochrome image in Live View.

http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital/camaras-csc/panasonic-gh4-nueva-optica-interna-para-el-visor.html

http://www.optyczne.pl/6691-news-Panasonic_Lumix_GH4_w_naszych_rękach.html