Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Where did the idea come from that the breakout box is required to shoot 4K?

• @endotoxic's idea sounds sadly logical...fingers crossed that it's not that way!

• @bwhitz $1k for a 4k recorder? Which one?

• @Ze_Cahue No, I mean like $1300 for camera and $1000 for recorder. $2300-$2500 total for the 4k package.

• @marciok So it may be that we end up with a forced buy for 4k video, wich does no surpruse me. It was to perfect to be true.

typical corporate bullshit.

• @bwhitz

Better be more like $2500 for both units...

It won't be.

• In the day and age of focal reducers, it hardly seems necessary to shoot on a s35 chip. (mFT is pretty perfect)

• @killagram yes bro, but I think even more than $4000. The cheapest 4k recorder hit the pocket more than $2000.

• @bwhitz $2500 plus sdi recorder $350 for 1080 or $2k for 4k thats $4.5k at least for the full pack 4k 10bit 422.

• @gabilourson

True. There are always undisclosed "features", also.

• @endotoxic It is not an absurd hipothesis...body recording 1080p in high bitrate around $1300, and who needs 4k pay a little bit more for the dockstation - and transferring the 4k encoding section to the dock minimizes the heating problem...

• Will be interesting when footage starts surfacing to really judge quality/capacity. Maybe Panasonic will shock the world and sell it at $995....

@Riker I know someone looking to buy a GH2. PM me if interested.

• Oh well might be overkill for my usage i guess. Would have been nice though (:

• I think, and dont wish that 4K recording would be only available via extra SDI dockstation. Maybe thats why @kellar32 friend only shoot 1080p....hmmmm

• It may physically attach to the GH3, but i'd be surprised if the GH3 had the firmware/hardware to communicate with it.

• @klem007

On the Panasonic website the information said it was specifically for the GH4

• Has it been confirmed (or as confirmed as it can be before announcement) that it shoots 4k@96fps? I've seen some speculation that "max 96fps" referred to 1080p, as the wording wasn't quite presise. That would be a bit of a bummer.

• More important question maybe. Will the unit be able to go under the GH3 ?

• ~$4000 for both GH4 and A/V unit.

Better be more like $2500 for both units...

• I PERSONALLY would rather save and get the 4k BMCC with the global shutter- s35-and RAW . Plus the fact it looks more "video-cinema-ish" alone. Since shooting on GH2 for several years was a struggle simply to get people to just give the darn thing a chance....

granted that's if it ever ships lol

• @Ze_Cahue I think you nailed it. ~$4000 for both GH4 and A/V unit. Yeah you can forgo the add-on but then you're probably recording in 8-bit and perhaps w/o overcranking 4K 96fps.

• I wonder if the GH4k with the recorder box will finally be acceptable for the people who are incessantly complaining about "ergonomics"... aka. People who really just want a big camera to impress people on set.

You know who you are...

• @Riker "I'm like St. Thomas, I believe what I see"

• Wonder if there going to tell us the DR in the official release?

• On a side note, Panasonic has removed the module from their site as of 5 minutes ago from refreshing the page and checking other links it has completely disappeared