Personal View site logo
Sony FDR-AX100, 4K camcorder for the masses
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Rolling shutter - yes, if you take shots perpendicular to and close up of trains going 60 MPH this camera is not for you :). What non-global shutter camera would do better for that type of shot?

• I had High Hopes for the AX100 But The Rolling Shutter Looks Quite Bad

The Comments on the Youtube Clip say it best \\\

• Some people have complained that the AX100 colors are a bit wan, for final output. There is a Cinematone setting in the camera that both captures more detail in highlights and increases the saturation and shifts the color more to red than blue.

Here is a video comparison in low light:

First part of each scene is normal; the second uses the Cinematone setting. You also get a test of whether the lens is parfocal - a fast full zoom appears to retain the object focus.

This video was not re-compressed, and the original XAVC S file is downloadable.

• @killagram You're right of course about the pro features, but to my eye the samples just look better--less stair-stepping, less junk in the image, and pinpoint sharpness that does not seem to have halos or sharpening artifacts. I would be interested in a side by side test, hope someone will take the trouble to make one.

• Small sample with downloadable original file

• @DrDave I believe there's a lot of post sharpening on-board with the AX100, but the XAVC-S is a bit more of a limiting codec with a 60Mbit cap and 8-bit 4:2:0 (when compared with Panasonic's offerings). It's definitely not a bad camera by any means but in my opinion this is much more suited for run-n-gun type operations and possibly a worthy B-cam. The GH4 on the other hand is more suited for prosumer video depending on their resources (ie. microHDMI recording, using it in conjunction with a YAGH, etc).

PS - I believe low lighting differences will be the main concern here as the Sony cam definitely shows a bit of noise (yet I only saw this on a 1650x1080 monitor, I'm certain it's much better on a true 4K monitor).

• A lot of these samples look slightly sharper and cleaner than the new Panny GH4--anyone have an opinion on that?

• @markr041 Thanks! Especially for not moving your camera like a tourist, panning and zooming all over the place ;-)

Nice exposure too. No cyan blue skies!

• Enough Youtube heavily compressed test clips and reviews! How about a video?

Here's a video I made in the first hour I had with the camera:

You can download the original XAVC S UHD video I uploaded - no re-compression was used.

There are no cats, but there are high contrast outdoor scenes, indoor low-light scenes, and bokeh. And fountains, goldfish, a snake, lizards, flowers, dinosaurs, children, scenic buildings, people, bicycles.

Some shakiness due to gusty wind in some scenes, but only Standard OIS was used, not Active-mode stabilization.

• How come even with effin zebras some people don't know how to expose properly? Mmm, nothing like the smell of burnt cyan skies in the morning...

• Found this

• Nice. Reign of 1" sensor is of course from Sony.

• From watching the video above, it looks like the AX100 has tons of actual physical buttons, which is always a good thing. And I wouldn't be too quick to judge picture quality yet, since we've only seen one promotional video and now this video from Jeanne-Pierre Barth (highly suspect, btw, since it's of very poor quality and the guy has no talent for video whatsoever).

• It might be okay for events and interviews, but it looks sterile and I don't think it's just the lighting. Based on the image here, and we have noting else to go on, I would never choose this for a film. I'll bet it sucks to work with in post, too. Not enough color info.

• XAVC in detail

• Probably fake.