Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • 4:2:2 and 10 bit sounds awesome. 4K could be useful to down sample and be greatly useful for Keying (or just make a fake 4:2:2 happen if it is 4:2:0). But the price tag scares me a bit, I don't know if I would like to buy a GH4/5 if I had that amount of money to spend with the rumored spec it has.

• @jules

No need to repost old and quite wrong info PB reposted from old 43rumors.

• I think is best option record video in RAW before to 4K in another codec, but sells more the idea about you record at 4K.

When you have a RAW file allows you to give the image more depth, richness of color, give you more details and a number of things you can manipulate.

Manufacturers have sold the idea that 4K is ideal when the 1080 inst totally standardized, but there are resolutions 6K, 8K, 10K, they will always sell the unrealistic need we need more resolution, we will see in 3-5 years telling us that we need a 8K TV and they will talk about the benefits, which also involve investing more in computer equipment that need more processing power and storage.

• @vitaliy

Ah, sorry! PB posted it today i think, but yeah, I should have realized that it would have already been here if true!

Funny really, seeing as he spends the first part of his post in essence talking about how he doesn't post rumors!

• If Panasonic somehow manage to have raw video plus there in body lens distortion correction it will be imho revolutionary for videographers and film makers.

• In 1080p

• @Hazna

Whats the purpose to have a soft doing it in camera (with no controls at all of what you're doing and no possibilities to add then again in post lens distortion) when software like Nuke and PfTrack can do it and can also add back the distortion that was firstly removed?

More of the same :-)

sales24.jpg
    636 x 671 - 58K
    sales25.jpg
    640 x 426 - 35K
    sales26.jpg
    637 x 405 - 39K
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but all people asking for 10bit 1080p get what they want with 8bit 4k - its just one small conversion programm in between, but when you are doing serious editing you want to transcode to Prores,... anyway.

How?

4k = 3840 x 2160 = 2 x 1920 x 2 x 1080 = 2 x 2 x fullHD

2 x 2 = 4 -> 2 extra bits

So, by down sampling every 2 x 2 pixels to one, there is 4x the information which is just the difference between 8bit and 10bit.

I'm interested in this GH3 with 4k - I'm just hoping it has a bigger sensore like the GH2 (not the actual GH3) and that it can be hacked to modify parameters to OUR needs. Oh, and finally getting 100/120fps for slomos!

• Seems too easy (even i dont know wich software should i use and how).

I think it's not like this: the colors deaph you shoot, you have.

But maybe i, that am wrong

• 10bit is about colour depth. Not resolution.

• @Psyco: It's not how it works. What you're speaking of is the sampling (4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 which are the three most commons). Basically yes, down-sampling a 4K 4:2:0 to a 2K frame will give you more or less a 4:2:2 sampling. Personally 4K 4:2:0 wouldn't bother me for the GH4/5. 8 bit would!

Color depth is about the range of colors. 8 bit is a total of 16 777 216 colors (2^(8)=256 [RxGxB=256x256x256=16 777 216]) or most commonly known as a 256 palette (0-255). 10 bit has a palette of 1024 (2^(10)=1024 so RxGxB=1024x1024x1024 = 1 073 741 824 [64 times more colors than 8 bit]). No banding problem, you can go more extreme with your color correction without damaging the picture.

There are also several other advantages to increase the bit depth as Having Super White and Super Black making the multiple exposure of Raw obsolete when a 32bit OpenEXR format has an infinite amount of gradient/colors above what would be burned highlights and crushed shadows that can be use very easily once a simple ramp is applied and edited to get back things would have considered "blown out" in 8 bit.

• in the gh4 pics above, what do they mean by "single lens"

• @GravitateMediaGroup Instead of saying its a "DSLR" they are using the new and correct moniker "DSLM" for Digital Single Lens Mirrorless instead of "DSLR" where "R" stands for "Reflex". This is a term coming from the the introduction of the "SLR" (film camera) to differentiate it from a "Twin-Lens Reflex" (Rolleiflex, Rolleicord type camera) and a Rangefinder camera (Leica M series (the cameras with a little side window for parallax viewing, for example) back in the 1960's.

Basically for you and me, it just means the camera & viewfinder system need only one lens. Seems obvious in this day and age, but, it's a term from yesteryear and the Japanese speaking person who made the display may have lost something in translation, but, actually didn't. "DSLM" is quite correct.

• @GeoffreyKenner If you take the 256 palette of 4 pixels and add them together you end up with 4x256 = 1024. The process needed here is the opposit of dithering. You sum up the 8bit information in 2x2 pixel-blocks and map them to 1 pixel with 10bit.

It wouldn't work on pixel-blocks with the exact same colour, but with sensor noise always introducing some variations it would work with most pixels in a real image.

The above will definitly work with 4:4:4 sampling. 4:2:0 sampling will make things more problematic, but I haven't had a look at this - so, I don't know but my guess is, it is possible to transform 4k 8bit 4:2:0 -> 2k 10 bit 4:2:0.

(An algorithm like this can easily be added to programms like 5DtoRGB.)

• So what's going on with this camera? Any other news?

• @Ian_T

Some news must be in February, not much until it.

• According to two trusted sources Panasonic will launch the new 4K Micro Four Thirds camera on February 7. As you already know the camera will cot a bit less than $2,000 and can record at amazing 200Mps and has ALL-I intra mode. Via 43rumors

Huh

• Well, they did say it would release in February.

Looking forward to video samples.

• I'm going to see if we will need an external recorder to have that 4.2.2 10bit..

• According to two trusted sources Panasonic will launch the new 4K Micro Four Thirds camera on February 7. As you already know the camera will cot a bit less than $2,000 and can record at amazing 200Mps and has ALL-I intra mode. Via 43rumors

It's strange that just two weeks before the launch nobody at Pana leaked a real photo... :)

• This is giving me GAS :) however its likely going to be christmas again before its really available.

• @LongJohnSilver well it has "kinda" been leaked, with a mock up shown at the trade show. But that was just a normal GH3 with a new badge on it, I think.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions