Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • @Renovatio

It is mostly baseless rumors.

Otherwise, to record any output you need recorder :-)

• 422 10 bit would be internal according to Voldemort. Also price is mentioned to be 2999 usd according to him and around 4500 usd (if my conversion maths are quite right) to 43rumors.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. One way or the other, it's out of my league :P

• @Flaaandeeers

According to few of my sources it is mostly incorrect rumors. Made with sole purpose to confuse m43 users.

• @Vitaliy

Well, if you say so, you have to prove your words :-)

Yes, are rumors only, but 43rumors (and eoshd) is always near to reality, i noticed.

• EosHD maybe not so much but 4/3 Rumors is usually on point, yes.

• @Renovatio

Calm down. No one will be proving anything, as it is impossible in this area.

Thing that I know is that few guys and some sellers work against m43 with money interest behind it.

About 90% of m43rumors sources is just mid and low level sales/reviews staff, remaining 10% is intentional leaks.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev your forum members may never forgive you for being right about this and BlackMagic if it happens that way...at least until GH3 is hacked haha.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    They're, for sure, doing it.
    I've just ordered a BMPCC, despite BM's imminent death :P

• @kellar42

LOL.

Thing is, we are near hot season, and hot season combined with problems with cameras sales.

So, we already saw multiple blogs postings about doubts in m43 future (all in sync, btw).

As for this rumors, wait for at least 1 month before release. This is the time first real(!) sources of rumors sites usually get real information.

I've just ordered a BMPCC, despite BM's imminent death :P

Make sure that it won't die in your hands, as it is so heart breaking. :-)

• While this rumor seems logical, and I hope it comes true, so far this is the case of two mirrors facing each other, magnifying back to infinity. One article only references the other. But it's only a matter of time, and whether camera companies can continue to stay afloat in this global meltdown.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Despite Andrew's interesting behavior and reporting, I know an instance where he was accurate with his reporting with Sony cameras, because I knew about them several months before hand and had already either tested them, or had actual photos sent my way.

As far as this camera goes, I'm pretty sure this is what the GH3 was supposed to be, including the XLR breakout box, but Panasonic was switching department heads at the time and the project got shuffled to the next one.

This isn't speculation, it was hard information that I had while the GH(X) was still in production, test shooting, and floating around my area with no labels on it (well, it had sticky notes on it, but that's it). I wouldn't be surprised if it is exactly as listed, with one or two things left out.

• I would be surprised if they didn't make a 4K camera, the only question is whether this is it. The XLR breakout box is of course junk unless it is hooked up to a 24 bit ADC, let's hope they at least have a real audio recorder in there instead of the compressed audio we have been seeing lately.

• Why do they send all the secret shit to L.A. or Berlin? I've got pretty girls, pretty jungle, pretty architecture, and academy award nominated producer and international publication cred...hoooola Panasonic Latin America, land where endless Lumixes are sold, send some shit to PTY!

Pretty exciting if this is true, anyhow.

• Ah, @kholi , always the voice of reason. :) That's some interesting backstory on the GH3. It gives me hope the next one will really be a step up. As far as things left out, I hope a higher bit depth isn't one of them. I don't necessarily need RAW, but something more than 8-bit is essential.

• There's definitely a lot in the rumors that was supposed to go into the GH3 or the next iteration of the GH cameras, I haven't really been paying attention to the DSLR side and any rumors around here, but again it sounds about right.

Actually, the only thing that doesn't make sense is the 10-Bit 422... that suggests that Panasonic's going to go against their own M.O. and allow users to try media from other brands... or, they're going to force MicroP2, which would be the most reliable implementation at a hefty cost.

I hope it's not MicroP2, or it's going to be a really tough sell for a lot of people. Think Sandisk 64gb Extreme PRos cost a lot... check MicroP2 prices.

• @kholi

In fact, HVEC allows 10-bit encoding.

But as I understand rumors told only about output.

• Ahhhh good point... if it's HEVC that makes more sense. I assumed it was AVCUltra(ish), that's where the MicroP2 came from. Yours is the more likely scenario, but, have we seen any HEVC implementations in cameras yet?

• Yours is the more likely scenario, but, have we seen any HEVC implementations in cameras yet

Sony 4K cameras, as I remember.

I doubt that someone will use H.264 for 4K.

• Are we talking about AVCUltra? It's spec'd for 4K, and Panasonic Broadcast doesn't have any other proprietary "codec" outside of Intra that handles 4K. If I remember right, Ultra is H264 or no?

Not sure if this is off-topic.

• I wouldn't be surprised if it is exactly as listed, with one or two things left out.

Yes... hopefully something like 120fps over-cranking in 2k. Or at least 60fps. It's just got to have SOME over-cranking somewhere.

• Personally, I hope any new video-dominant camera Panasonic releases is more robust ergonomically than their GH line. I don't like the idea of strapping all kinds of things to a GH body to make it functional for video. That's just no fun in the field. That was the primary strength of the AF, (it's noted IQ issues notwithstanding). Plus, justifiably or not, the form factor of a robust video camera puts clients at ease. I have a really hard time pulling a GH2 out of the bag for a client shoot when I have to spend the first 15 minutes defending it. This has happened!

• kurth, the two articles are not referencing each other. Apparently both EOSHD and 43rumors were working on this together? Then they both posted their articles at exactly the same time. (to the minute)

• @Ironfilm 43rumors cites and link eos. They posted at the same time and he specified Berlin time too. So it seems they worked together for this leak

• Whatever the next GH records, I hope it has a GH1/GH2 sized sensor for 16:9. 1.85 vs 2.0 makes a world of difference.

• For me, 4k or 2k/1080p is irrelevant. What matters is the quality of the frame. How detail is rendered, falloff, dynamic range and so on. A good quality 1080p upscaled frame will look better than a poor quality 4k frame (in 4k viewing).

We´re finally at a point where very, very high quality 1080p is available, for very very little money. Do I want to trade that of for a poor 4k frame? No thanks.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions