Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, thought it was a GH3. The GH4 is different looking, or whatever they're going to call it.

• Camera can't be far off with the mockup out already. NAB it is.

• That's not it!!!!

• It looks like GH3 with 4K sticker slapped on...if they go with the rumored specs, I really don't see how can they lose with this one. People who need that kind of specs will shell out the money.

But for hobbyists like me...I don't know...

Something about this 4K craze that bothers me, streaming video will be viewed on 1080p or mobile screens, can't really say I'm excited about streaming a behemoth file and watch it downsampled to 1080.

• Something about this 4K craze that bothers me, streaming video will be viewed on 1080p or mobile screens, can't really say I'm excited about streaming a behemoth file and watch it downsampled to 1080.

4K is marketing thing. You know. Shoot on tools like pros. But don't be surprised by shit results, as usual.

• Yeah that's true, but I get the feeling that they'll go really aggressive with 4K and force it upon consumers...few years ago I heard stories about clients asking for videos specifically from "5D MK2", as if the camera itself is responsible for the content...almost like the wedding photography market, where people need to bring the biggest camera on the job because anything "compact" will make them look like hacks.

4K is perfect for that type of market..."here's your video sir - but is it 4K?" 4K sounds good, perfectly marketable and I predict it'll be a huge success.

On the positive side, stabilization will be easy now and people will have a lot more frame leeway for their tree/shrub/dog/cat/river stream/cloud test videos.

• 4K is perfect for that type of market..."here's your video sir - but is it 4K?" 4K sounds good, perfectly marketable and I predict it'll be a huge success.

I have very bad news for 4K.

And this bad news is HDD market. It is stagnant with monopolies using cartel agreements for prices control. Without any actual progress made.

• @vicharris I know that, but they have a GH3 on display with a 4K logo. It's an announcement of sorts that they have a 4K Lumix on the way. So I was saying the camera can't be that far off.

• 43Rumours put another picture, again looking like a GH3 with a 4k sticker...

http://www.43rumors.com/hot-first-picture-of-the-panasonic-gh-4k-camera/

• That's the same picture posted earlier.

• Even though currently few would need 4K for the actual work, it would be constantly advertised by manufactures in order to encourage upgrades in video equipment. I suspect, the idea of this "mock-up" came at the last moment before CES, and it doesn't represent a final design of the 4K camera, unless "4K" is just GH3+4K-video. Perhaps, we need to wait till the Photokina 2014 to see how GH5 would look like.

• I have the answer: it's an hacked gh3 by Santa Claus! Finally!

• I'll be interested in this camera if Panasonic allow the 200mbps/100mbps bitrate for 1080p.

• @cde Who knows, maybe the next GH will be the first to incorporate VP9 codec, which would half those figures.

• Reading all these post I would say that the main goal of that fake gh4 photo is achieved already :)

• UHD content can be recorded at 200 Mbps, and output in a full live feed via a mini-HDMI port (thanks to ALL-I Intra mode) to display on a computer or record to a hard drive.
    • UHS Class 3 card option
    • It will be able to simultaneously snap photos while recording video.
    • Official release in late February, when it'll arrive with a price tag of $2,000 or less.
  • Ha ha...looks like we posted about it at the same time.

• More info, just confirming rumors of what Vitaliy posted. Plus the obligatory picture of a GH3 with a 4K sticker on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/panasonics-4k-mirrorless-gh-camera/

• Its rare when many speak of the benefits of the Pocket Camera can record video in RAW, but none seems get it in the GH4/5, can the new Panasonic with the codec All-I Intra closer to video RAW? for wedding videos and interviews not need RAW, but in shorts, musical videos, some spots and movies low budget its interesting.

• I think it would better suit most people. Most of us will finish in 2k or 1920x1080 anyways… so down-sampling from a 4K image would look more detailed. You also get a lot smaller file sizes that the Pocket’s RAW. Also…I hope they will have 120fps @ 1080 (proly more like 720 though). I hope dynamic range is up there as well.

• Which kind of codec will be used by Panasonic?

• My guess is that they will be using a Sensor that is not that far off from what we've seen from other Panasonic Cameras. I don't expect a huge jump in DR or Low Light capability. My guess is that it's likely the same level as the GX7 in terms of DR and Low Light, but with 4K resolution. I can imagine that Detail/Sharpness lovers will be all over this camera.

I am curious about how the camera will handle color. Will it be more of the same we've seen from other Panasonic Cameras or will they manage to squeeze a bit more smoothness and accuracy out of it?

• If it's going to be released in February, I'd expect to see some video samples shortly. I wanna buy it.

• Perhaps the GH4K will be exactly the same as what we already have in a GH3 but with an additional firmware purchase you can get 4k and some much more. Perhaps all can be unlocked with an external device that also adds in pro features. Or maybe not.

• @rigs ha! Yes and they send you a little sticker to cover over 'GH3' with'4k' instead. We wish..

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions