Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • @intrinsic3d and @MikeLinn ... really awesome videos. You both did galaxian settings and record in AVCHD?

I am kind of new to video and so not really aware of what settings in cam are useful and what is better done in post... Stills I only shoot in RAW and all things i do in post only. so i never use the "automatic" settings the camera offers.

But as they have major impact on video I am getting only confused...

• The iResolution and iDynamic settings in the MOTION PIC menu should have a impact on the result. You use it? and if yes, when?

• What does the iA button do in this - yes it detects a scene but the video mode nevertheless works automatic... so whats the use?

• As you were speaking about ISO-Limit ... does the ISO-Limit of the REC menu effect the ISO while recording video?

you see a lot of questions for a full newbie in camera automatics .. If i am too much off topic please excuse but i need some basic hints how to stop my camera from going rouge.

Otherwise I still prey that Vitaliy can give me some manual control on the GX1 video :)

• GX1 freezes by playback.... how to delete file/s (after raising mp4 bitrates), and bring back the normal operation

1. remove battery/reinstall/turn on
    2. take 2 stills
    3. playback now should work of last stills
    4. change view to multiple icons
    5. select "delete multiple files"
    6. select files you want to delete as "usual" => OK
    7. back to normal.... ofcourse a "format card" will clean up all, but so you can save time Have Fun!
  • Hi, I am allowed to use this site, we have succeeded in hacking the GX1. Thank you. So, please ask questions. I would like to change the frame rate by the switching of the PAL and NTSC, but can not the item of "video out" and the hack will appear on the menu, it will change remains gray. Thank you to answer someone. (It was converted from Japanese to English using Google Translate.. Sorry for English confusing)

• but can not the item of "video out" and the hack will appear on the menu, it will change remains gray. Thank you to answer someone

Yep, it is bug in patch. Needs quick fix.

• Thank you for reply. How do I specifically?

• @nidako3412

You can't do anything, it is patch bug.

• Is it so, I'm sorry. Thank you all!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thank you for all your efforts, any idea when this bug will be solved? It was reported back in April and I am quite sure that I am not the only one still patiently waiting for a solution....

• thank you for all your efforts, any idea when this bug will be solved?

I'll try to release update in December.

• @umla I don't think the iDynamic function will do any change to the physical dynamic range, but just pulls down the contrast a little bit, to obtain tiny little more details in the shadows and highlights. I believe the same effect can also be achieved in post-production. Personally I just leave it off.

As far as the iA is concerned, it's quite interesting. The complete manual video control is still unavailable. But the the iA function do give you a little control over the aperture, even in video mode. Normally, the largest aperture will be used in video recording, even in the harsh daylight. (To keep the exposure right, the iso and shutter speed will be automatically tuned, without the aperture being touched.) However, in iA mode, you can actually control the aperture before recording, or during recording.

• iDynamic function will do any change to the physical dynamic range, but just pulls down the contrast a little bit, to obtain tiny little more details in the shadows and highlights. I believe the same effect can also be achieved in post-production. Personally I just leave it off.

It is not true, such function works with source raw, you won't pull anything like it from AVCHD file.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Vitaly, are we gonna get a present this Christmas? I see you may have an update for the GX1, I still would love to have manual video mode, I hope so Vitaliy, thanks again and hope to hear some news :-) thanks for all your work

• @djhessler I second that! Would love to see an update Vitaly

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev hope you are doing well, I was wondering if we are gonna get lucky with manual video for the GX1, thanks Vitaliy and hope to hear from you.

• I hope. December was quite mad. I need to fix PAL/NTSC first. Must be in January.

I think after this I'll try to prepare and release firmware info so others can work on it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks so much for all your efforts, I have being considering another purchase like the GX7 and GM1 but honestly the GX1 is more than enough for my daily needs except for the video, the gx1 has all the right buttons to easily access all it's features. I'm definitely goin to contribute to your paypal, because all your hard work has made our cameras more useful and I'm grateful for it, thanks again Vitaliy and hope to hear back from this thread soon.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Happy Newyear! One more person to thank you for all your efforts, hope you soon will find some time to fix the PAL/NTSC issue... after that the cheap (US bought) GX1s will really be great and compact videocameras for European users as well..... Thanks in advance for this!

• Has anyone here sucessfully used the GX1 as a B cam/C-cam with a GH2/GH3? I'm looking to purchase a GX1 as a cam to sit on a tripod at the back of the church/ceremony during weddings.

• I'm using two GX1s. It's ok for what you're talking about, but there are some things to be aware of. Same as the GH models (I think?), but I'll put them out there anyway.

First, gotta be in AVCHD mode for running longer than 35mins on non-hacked firmware (each file is shorter than 35mins on hacked firmware). With the GX1, AVCHD mode is interlaced only. It's 30p in a 60i container. MPEG mode will do 30p non-interlaced only. There are no 30 or 24fps modes on the GX1, and there are unlikely to ever be, even with hacking.

Second, there's currently no way to lock exposure in any mode. (VK is workin on this, and it sounds like we may see something in the near future. How near is not certain.) ISO and shutter vary at random with adapted lenses, and ISO, aperture, and shutter all vary with native lenses.

Stock batteries last 2-3 hours in my experience. You can plug it into the wall and run forever (I let one run in a hot club in the summer for 6 hours with no ill effects). However, you'll lose the entire last 4gb file if you unplug while rolling. There is no way to power the GX1 and have a battery in, since the only way to plug external power is through a dummy battery.

Other than these things, it works great! They're cheap enough to buy a bag full and have every angle covered. And the image quality is quite good. I find that in MPEG mode, with a little sharpening, the detail is superb. Add a hacked firmware to lower the compression, and things are amazing. Plenty of examples on here if you search a little.

• I'm having a problem with a frozen camera. it takes stills fine. but when I try and take a video, it freezes. I have to take out the battery to unfreeze it. and now it won't even let me go back to factory settings. not sure what's wrong. any thoughts? my two primary desires are to remove the 30 minute video recording limit, and up the bitrate. which is the hack I tried. but it doesn't seem to have worked.
    thanks. Tod

• Is this a GX1? Have you installed the hacked software? If so, what settings are you using? GalaX1an definitely works stably. What cards are you using?

There is no hack that enables clips longer than 30 minutes. The camera has that capability natively, but only in AVCHD mode. I believe that's the case for the most of the Panasonic models. See my above comment for more details.

Generally speaking, the hacks are to lower the compression setting, which results in larger files with less compression artifacts. This is most visible in scenes with lots of detail and motion, such as ripples of water on the ocean or a lake. In some cases it helps a bit with high ISO scenes too.

• Hello Vitaliy, thanks for all your work and efforts any news with the PAL/NTSC fix for the GX1 cameras hope you can get that sorted out thank you for your time

• Dear Vitaliy Do you anticipate releasing update for GX1 patch anytime soon? I've been counting on your great hack and made jump to 4/3 system but now considering selling it because I cannot use 25fps as I was hoping for. Not to pressure you, and I admit that it's not wise to count on something that doesn't exist yet but I only found out ntsc-pal was not supported after trying the hack. Before giving up on GX1 I thought I'd ask if GX1 is still in your to-do list.

Thanks.

• Yep, hope soon.