Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Has it been confirmed that all cheap US GX1 NTSCs have the same issue?

I purchased one a couple of days ago after learning one GX7 = 5 x GX1.

• Has it been confirmed that all cheap US GX1 NTSCs have the same issue?

I try to make update soon fixing issue.

• Thanks a bunch, Vitaliy!

• I just downloaded the Ptool and created a setup based in one of the ones found here. I am very happy to see that now I can record about an hour, and to see the audio levels in the screen, BUT, I discovered that the video files are sttarting from the number 0 everytime I format the card (the still pictures are in continuous number, thought). Does anyone knows if this is related to the PTool software? I tried to re install the original Panasonic Firmware, but the camera won't do it, is says "no valid picture to play.... CB

• Does anyone knows if this is related to the PTool software? I tried to re install the original Panasonic Firmware, but the camera won't do it, is says "no valid picture to play.... CB

No, it is not related to PTool :-)

• Hu. Wierd. I tried to reinstall the formware from Ptool (the same I had from the beginning in the camera) and then at some poit the camera was able to update the firmware. Then the audio meters were gone.... Now Im trying then to re install the original firmware from Panasonic, and it will just won't take it. is there any way to just do a full reset of the camera to start all over again? Many thanks Cris

• @Badilla Open ptools with the latest firmware, don't 'check' anything, save as one increment up. Flash firmware. Viola, your GX1 is as good as Pany's own.

• With the GX7 announced will this help @Vitaliy_Kiselev you crack the GX1? According to a review I just read the GX7 gives "as good" video as the GH3 but that makes me think, "shouldn't it be better after all these years?". I guess you will need to find out if the GX1 and the GX7 use similar parts before you can apply it to your hack. Looking forward to a GX1 update when you get it, thanks.

• Wow it is amazingly quiet. Has the GX1 hack locomotive lost its steam? There must be a new generation of GX1 owners with the price drop??

• Wow it is amazingly quiet. Has the GX1 hack locomotive lost its steam? There must be a new generation of GX1 owners with the price drop??

We'll have fixing release, I hope. AFter this I hope that we'll make some old cameras projects more open so someone could add new things.

• I'm still excited about it! I think the gx1 shoots amazing quality video with ptool firmware. I would put it up against a red or any other camera during daylight shooting, the only thing holding it back is lack of manual control for low light. If that can be added I think it will be the best thing out there for low budget film making, even better than the black magic pocket cinema camera.

Thanks Vitaliy for continuing to work on the release!

• Hy people - so I am one of this folks who got the cash together for a GX1 after the most recent price drop. (~700EUR with kit lens and 20mm/1.7) - together with a nice leather bag from china and I had the good IQ, resistibility and compact size i ever wanted.

Soo after being a little off topic - i was searching the whole forum for recommended GX1 settings - the only one i found mentioned in relation to GX1 was GalaXian. I will use my coming weekend to run a trial on this. If someone of you can recommend some other/better settings to start with on GX1 please share with me!

I think to run your own settings there should be a little more understanding of the technical detail?!

Otherwise i am very interested in new developments - especially the manual control, if its possible at all?

Big thanks to Vitaliy - i was surprised that there s a big community on a topic like this...

• @umla welcome to the site. I have only been a member for a few months but am hypnotized by the amount of knowledge the people here have. Here are some key pieces of advice: 1. Spend the time to read through this thread. There are 12 pages. Read all 12. 2. Besides GalaXian there are many other hacks. Look for names like Apocalypse, Canis, Cluster, Mysterion, QuantumPlus, and the list goes on. 3. You will see how to load these and also TWEAK these to your liking on instructions on page 11. 4. Manual control is something we are all waiting for but easier to dream about than do. I am beginning to understand from the Magic Lantern breakthroughs with the Canon that a major hack is a HUGE deal and really difficult. @Vitaliy has been working on a hack for more than a year and while it still might be a long long way off the hacks provided by the team are pretty sweet. 5. If you like what is happening here, donate. If you don't have money to donate then donate time, time to understand the site and time to guide other new people like you.

Good luck,

Jakartaguy in Jakarta, Indonesia.

• I haven't used any others but the driftwood galaxian settings offer amazing quality

• @Jakartaguy Are there other settings besides GalaX1an? I searched these forums quite extensively, and have seen the other settings you mentioned, but never for the GX1.

I tried the GalaX1an settings with ocean waves and could immediately see the difference. Too bad there's no way to get the MPG mode to span or the AVCHD mode to run true 30p. But otherwise, the GX1 video quality is pretty darn good.

• @Micah the hacks I mentioned like Apocalypse, Canis, Cluster, Mysterion, QuantumPlus were (I believe) put together by @Driftwood and they all work for the GX1, just use the same instructions I posted on page 10.

• Hi! Is this posible already use new hack for GX1? Or this is still not so working. If it working well in PAL, where I can take it and how do everything. Ptool3 - I have already. Thanks.

Also will be good to know what hack have new for GX1. Recording time, quality of Video and etc. Is this real use GX1 with GH3 in one recording project?

• @Jakartaguy First thanks for your helpful answer. Also your guide (p11) HOW TO USE PTOOL FOR DUMMIES LIKE ME - made it very comfortable and idiot proof.

Actually I read all the pages before posting first - but I could not find direct feedback on other settings than GalaX1an. I am just to much noob to judge which of the other settings are better/worse based on detailed technical information. I dont even know in which case AVCHD or MP4 is improved. So only way i have is to rely on other people opinion - or spend days in trials and flashing my cam...

imho a "GX1 settings" thread would be very useful. There are very good threads for GH2 - but this cam is too bulky for me ;)

I tryed the GalaX1an V2 settings yesterday and had a great success. I like what is happening here - so i donated. The also difference in IQ is definitely worth it :)

Just awesome to have this kind of IQ in such small package (GX1+Pana20mm).

umla in Bangalore, India

• Ok. I learned myself about hack and process of changes settings on GX1.

AVCHD working good. I have 1080 - 42Mbps and 448 kbs sound. 720 - 20Mbps 448 kbs. Changed Mic level and Volume Indicator. Here everything looks good. GX1 can record now until battery is empty. After 4GB camera create next video fail and recording continues.

Things that is not so good.

1.Found next. MP4 can record only with Audio - 128kbs. In all highest rates REC not starting. Do you have the same?

2.All video files with higher bitrates not play in GX1. But this is not so big problem. Problem is another. I can not delete them in camera. If I delete them in PC camera still see them and GX1 telling me that can not play and can not delete. Maybe this is not files already but during watching photos on LCD comming emty screens.

What rates you recoment for AVCHD - 1080p and mp4 1080p. I want record same video with GH3 and GX1. What bitrate on GX1 will be better for mix them on Editing post. For close quality and etc. On GH3 I will use AVCHD.

• Thanks for this hack, the likes of which I had no idea you could even do! But I was frustrated that I couldn't record longer than 29min 59sec of video, and a bit of searching online led me here.

I have installed this single patch, and when I'm in AVCHD mode I can now get just over 2 hours on a 16GB SD card. However, when I'm in MP4 mode (which I would prefer), the limit is still 29min59sec.

I know someone brought this up on an earlier page, but it seems the issue was left hanging… Can someone confirm that this is definitely how the patch is supposed to work (i.e. limited to AVCHD setting only)?

Thanks

• As i remember, MP4 don't span so it's limited to 4GB per recording and with 17M bitrate it's about 30 mins..

• Thanks @JOFO. Could I reduce the bit rate - would that make a difference? And to the quality? Just want smallish size files to maybe embed in a multimedia book.

• That could help, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't own GX1 (only G3 and GH2). Just saw that before somewhere on the forum..

• Here's a sample video of the gx1 with driftwood galaxian hack. It's a night scene of fire twirling shot at f1.8 and it turned out pretty good with the increased bitrate but I think it suffers from lack of manual control. It has some pretty ugly noise in it. What do you guys think?

• Hah! Small world! I recognize one of the fire dancers from an event I shot...with a pair of GX1 bodies! (the one without the hat)

Some of the noise can be removed in post, but yeah, it would be a lot better if you could lock in manual settings. I think after it reaches its ISO limit it will start to push stuff a little post sensor/digitally, which bumps up the noise. But that's just speculation. I will say I think you could have cranked down the exposure a little bit. You can do that before you start the video by selecting +/- exposure compensation in P,S, or A mode.

On my D7100 I found that custom curves help me manage the noise to a degree. But it's also a touch lower noise to start with!