Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Shot with Sanity 5.1. Really impressed with Sanity, thanks Ralph.

• Just finished shooting an improvised feature film on Sanity 5.1 and it performed wonderfully. I'll post some footage when we wrap the last pick-ups.

• @aklumix

Excellent cinematography! You have a good eye. I enjoyed it.

• @TraumManufaktur

I don't have a GF2, so I can't answer your question.

• @aklumix This really looks great - thanks for posting.

@Ralph_B Haven't followed the Sanity stuff that closely, but now I'm recently seeing a lot of nice videos shot with it. Very nice setting - thanks for creating that, I'll have to experiment with it in the future.

• @aklumix recording settings? You make a color correction? @lloydsweden recording settings?

• Thanks @Ralph_B and @matt_gh2. @Axier the settings were 24p with everything set to -2 except saturation set to 0. I believe I shot these morning shots on 1/40 shutter. The color correction was all curves as well as adding a little warmth in the mids. For some of the skies I used a slight gradient to give it some more depth. I have used quite a few patches. One of my favorite patches was Orion v4b, and I chose Sanity after Orion because something about Sanity feels like the Orion look I was getting with much smaller file sizes.

• I was using GH2 ,Smooth, all -2 except saturation which was at -1. I´m a stills photographer recently started with dslr video. Amazed how unintuitive Panasonic can make an UI. What suprised me was that the video was quite sharp without any sharpening , in spite of large aperture. Sanity worked very well. Maybe I should have changed filmmode when I oversaturated the lighting. Standard or just lower camera saturation. I have color-corrected but very little was needed on the skintones due to simple but careful lighting.

• For what it's worth, I'm finding that I'm shooting with the Nature setting more and more. I believe this mode has the richest colors the GH2 can produce without going over the top. I put the contrast to -2 and saturation to 0 and sometimes +2 (if I really want to punch up the picture). This come reasonably close to matching the look of Canon DSLR's.

• More info: I did shoot 25fps and in HBR ,1080i and to be honest I don´t really understand the 1080i thing. "progressive in a i-wrapper" ? I´ve read this discussion and more at Personal view but panasonic formatstuff still confuses me. It´s not important to me to shoot at 24fps so being in PAL-land 25 or 50 frames seems a good choice. In the editor (Premiere) it seems ok (square pixels). Even though some say that the video-editor interprets wrongly.

• @alkumix Your film bring me back to memories of boat people at Philippines . Is the beach close to Bataan? I haven't seen ducks on the beach -:)

• @aklumix , @lloydsweden , Ralph_B thanks Ralph_B thanks guys

• @tinbeo The beach was on Bantayan island just north of Cebu. My Filipino friends said the same comment about the ducks, they said they can't believe someone hadn't had them for dinner yet.

• I greetings brothers produced this sanity hack gh2 5.1 on 14-42mm lens

• Well done DJ! :-) What settings?

• Good to see the Sanity thread active again. It's proven to be the single most versatile setting out there. I have a Ralph B, WP file to keep his advice in. It simply works. Thanks Ralph!

• Good to hear from you, Peter. I thought you had disappeared.

• No...I'm not going anywhere Ralph, Too much knowledge here to leave. I just try to soak it up and only post when I have something that hasn't been covered.

I'm in the Doc season now and using Sanity exclusively.

• @lloydsweden use soft style -2 -2 -2 -2 (ISO 400 - ISO 800) with lighting, edited in sony vegas

• @Ralph_B Installed Sanity 5.1 on my GF2, planned as occasional b-camera. Here are two screen grab crops at 720p and 1080i, both taken with the Canon 50mm 1.4. Seems a bit softer, but not too bad. Have to do some skin color shots and A/B with the GH2. Cheers!

GF2_50Canon-720pCrop.png
    885 x 575 - 621K
    GF2_50Canon-1080icrop.png
    1277 x 719 - 1M
  • Another Sanity 5.1 video with some applied curves.

• In case anybody missed it, there is a new high bitrate version of Sanity available.

It's called SANITY X.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8764/sanity-x-high-bitrate-version-of-sanity/p1

• @dj5500, fantastic looking SHARP footage! So exciting to see what the 14-42 lens is capable of.

Was this all done in 24H (I'm assuming yes), and what shutter speed were you using? Also, all manual focus?

Thanks!!! :-)

• Just my 0.02

I think I've tried every setting that's ever come on this board and some are extraordinary, but I'm not a cinematographer, I make my living getting video no one else has. Sometimes that has to get out overnight so I like to get it as close as possible right out of the camera.

I also use a lot of different cameras at once...GoPro's, GH2'S, GH3'S, AC160, Cannon, Etc...so matching it is difficult.

As a working setting I have always come back to Sanity something. It simply works every time.

I've been using Sanity X for a few weeks now and to be honest, it isn't a huge jump from 5.1...BUT....it gives me the option to switch back and forth on the fly.

The higher bitrates do give a little more detail and grades a tad better and so far hasn't given me any problems.

This Sunday, both GH2's will be loaded with X for Colonial Williamsburg's Grand Illumination. It's an all day affair for me ending with a massive fireworks display, so it covers nearly every outdoor lighting and motion situation in the book.

Thanks for putting in the time Ralph. It gives me one less thing to worry about!

• Thanks for the report Peter. Yes, Sanity X is a small jump up, but we all seemed to be cursed with wanting the best. So, here it is!

So far, Sanity X has been bullet-proof in terms of stability. Before releasing it, I put it through my battery of torture tests, and it performed perfectly. And this was using Sandisk 30M class 10 cards!