Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • So APPARENTLY the BMPCC is VERY picky about HDMI monitors. --- yes I know that most monitors wont take the 24p signal...but that's not it regardless of frame rates my 5inch Lilliput which works fine with GH2 for example....will not accept the signal neither will my 1080p Sharp Aquos HDTV... the crummy DYNEX HDTV I have at work will take the signal though...???? Is this issue with HDMI out because it outputs 10bit? Also can anyone recommend an affordable monitor that will work with the pocket? (Not based on speculation but on physical fact like you own it or saw it)

• @No_SuRReNDeR Yep, same problem with a cheap EVF I had. The GH2 actually outputs a i signal not p. That's the problem. You need a monitor that excepts 1080p. The HDTV thing is weird. Might be a setting problem on that. Should have nothing to do with 8 or 10bit. I'd look over and do a quick search. I'm sure you'll find your answer fast there. Or if you're feeling daring, hope on over to the BM Forum and prepare to duck and cover!

• @vicharris Yeah that's what I thought initially... until I connected it to my Aquos and it said improper signal detected.... I know it takes 1080p. The lilliput is supposed to accept 1080p too...Im just baffled

" Lilliput says...* HDMI input:Supports MAX 1080p ( 19201080p ) and 1080i( 19201080i)"

I have this monitor- http://www.amazon.com/LILLIPUT-569GL-NP--camera-Component-Koolertron/dp/B005LMXS3S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1382727559&sr=8-7&keywords=5+inch+monitor+lilliput

This is my TV _> http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32D62U-32-Inch-1080p/dp/B000NEDYEC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

NEITHER will accept the signal from the pocket?.... WTF

• Where do i pre-order???

• Don't know what to tell you. That's one reason why I stopped buying cheap stuff. Trying to future proof my shooting package. Sucks but it's how it is.

• I bought the Lilliput 5D-II/O/P for my GH2 and it works fine on my BMPCC. Sorry to hear of the problems.

• @No_SuRReNDeR I have the same monitor (Lilliput) & the same problem here :( but in my HDTV Panasonic works fine

• @No_SuRReNDeR I can confirm the 7" NEWAY CL76HO-X works.

• Thanks all ---Looking for a solution that is under 200 US dollars since I am poor :(...

• Was thinking i would like to know how Gh1 4:2:2 mjpeg 720p mode would look near to the BMPCC's Prores 1080p.

Is there somebody that can do it?

• There is no hack for the GH1 or the GH2 that allows for filming in 4:2:2 colour space. And why would you compare 720p with 1080? However, I bet something like flow motion at 1080p would cut ok with pro-res

• @mrbill

Because is there, but only at 720p, on the gh1: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?249355-100Mbps-Max-Latitude-Native-24-25p-Patch

Or, if i did not understand, i ask please to make me see. Thanks.

• @no_surrender The Sony CLM-V55 monitor will take the 24P signal from the Pocket but not the 30P, go figure!

• Is there any posibilities to buit a speedbooster M43-M43 since the sensor of BMPCC is smaller than the standard... It will be quite nice, huh?...

• Is there any posibilities to buit a speedbooster M43-M43 since the sensor of BMPCC is smaller than the standard... It will be quite nice, huh?...

That would be cool :)

• I think that theoretically it should be very close to possible (one actually seems to need a tiny bit more than m4/3 coverage to start with in order to end up at 1", but it is very close). This would be really great because one could use many different types of legacy lenses via cheap adapters to M4/3 followed by a speedbooster to change their characteristics. It would be a very universal and valuable solution. However it would only work in combination with the BMPCC and the question is if someone would like to manufacture it just for that.

• Flange distance anyone ? Or make an adapter of less than 1mm (that would still be to much...)

• @astraban the speedbooster has optical elements so correcting this could be theoretically possible?

• Impossible.

• Hey everyone, so I've experimented a bit with shooting at 4500k in ProRes with the BMPCC for the last 3-4 days when I've had the chance. A tip @kholi and @vicharris have mentioned.

I've found that most situations can be corrected in Resolve, nice skin tones can often be achieved after correction but some color temperatures are more problematic for this. 3200k is doable, lower than that and it gets way messier way faster. Seemed better all the way up to 7000k though. More problems if you combine the wrong WB with way under or over exposing: you can stretch it to correct, but expect a mess to clean up.

Under mixed lighting: natural light, fluorescents, incandescents - all on my subject in a 3 point config, I have to say I'm amazed at the color coming out of this camera! I was able to correctly balance to the key light in post to save my skin tones and it looked like I was using some beautiful warm gels for the fill and cool gels for the hair light. I thought it looked great and is pretty cool to keep in your back pocket - if used right.

So my conclusion so far: I'd only recommend shooting 4500k when it's the right WB, when you are in a pinch, maybe some mixed light scenarios or to leave your camera set at it as your default so that if you need to pick up and hit record it's set (get ready for heavy NR in some cases). It seems to be a fairly robust WB setting for correction, and can often be fixed satisfactorily in Resolve without too many headaches, but I believe that with ProRes, the closer you can get the WB to the actual color temperature of the scene, the nicer your footage looks with way less work. Assuming you have exposed correctly. That's my experience with it so far, would like to hear others opinions though.

Hooks LUT is amazing, but I will say that the Resolve BMCC Lut is no slouch either and can do a decent job if that's all you've got.

• @vicharris can you please explain a bit; there are some adapters where optical correction is built-in because of flange distance issues. For example the Canon FD to EOS adapter http://www.amazon.com/Optic-Canon-Adapter-Correction-Glass/dp/B00009R7ZR uses such correction. I am far from an expert here but I have the feeling that it is not per definition impossible to correct a flange distance?

• There's tons of info on this. Search for it. Plus....now you want to add more optics to what's already going on in the speedbooster. Sounds like a recipe for disaster and even if they could, now you're talking about an expensive piece of glass.