Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @digitalamator could you post a link, cause everyone is looking for cheap third-party batt. that shows the status with e-chip in it.

• Thanks guy, I know you can open them but it's the renaming that is the issue since they're all MOV000X or whatever.. and the camera resets the count when you clear off the files too. Do you guys just put the entire directory inside another folder? Like Project X\AVCHD stuff\Private blah blah?

Or do you actually rename the file and lose the metadata? Does renaming the file break anything other than the metadata?

Thanks.

• How do you guys think the hacked G6 will compare to other cameras in terms of low light/high ISO performance? I shot on a Canon 5D3 recently and was extremely impressed with the high ISO performance, I shot a couple of EXT. NIGHT scenes at 3200 ISO and it was CLEAN!

I'm guessing the G6 will be similar to the hacked GH2? I don't expect either to even come close to the 5D3, not even the GH3 could touch it, right?

• @brake I think it will be a long time before we see a hacked G6, if ever. It is better to plan with thoughts of what currently is than to speculate on what may never be.

• @Brake, there is no way the G6 is gonna perform similar to a 5DMK3. Its a full frame with arguably the best hight ISO performance around. Even when its hacked which I doubt will happen, it won't compete. I like my g6 but I'm realistic about its low light performance. Put a fast lens on it and it produces good quality footage but in low light its clearly outclassed and always will be by the 5dmk3.

• @scotchtape yeah, I was looking for a workflow to help with this AVCHD redundant filename issue in Premiere Pro too. Let me know if you have one figured out.

I read about it (links below). I think they got stuck on the metadata issue. It seems it didn't get confirmed that it's sorted out:

A workflow: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/942907

From: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/930849#930849 "Re: Batch renaming AVCHD files for Premiere Pro CS6? by Douglas Morse on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:43:38 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but I just discovered a work around. Right click on a file in Premiere and 'Reveal in Adobe Bridge' You can then rename and batch rename all the files in that folder. I don't know what happens to the metadata, but I think it remains intact."

• @hionhifi

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear with my question. I don't expect the G6 be anywhere near as good as the 5D3, I guess I was wondering how the GH3 compares to it.

I was more wondering how the G6 compares to the GH2 in ISO performance....

• @Brake, Your question was very clear, when it comes to low light it's not really as much a bit rate issue as it is a light issue. Bigger sensor means more light so large sensor cameras has an edge. That said, of course higher bit rate of course means less lossy compression which results in smaller zones of smeared noise on the image, so a hack may improve performance a bit.

• @brake In-camera NR on the G6 is pretty well implemented, so the video it brings out from the same sensor as GH2 is cleaner. For most things I prefer shooting on the G6.

• @eyenorth do you have both GH2 and G6? and if you do, could give us some info on how you set them both in a project? on an interview shot for example.Thanks.

• @ cjdincer I have both G6 and GH2...You need identical picture?

• @rivo_kikkul yes, I am curious about what settings you guys use on GH2 and G6, when you use both of them for an interview or film project to be able to macth them on the same timeline. like smooth all-2.

• @cjdincer

I bought my battery here http://video3000.pl/. Thisbattery works great. I can recomandet it. It names: BLC 12.

• I have a shoot coming up, and I';m thinking of renting a G6 or a GH3. Need to know two questions about the G6:

1. How much recording time is in a single battery charge?
    2. Are there any problems spanning files on a Transcend Class 10 card?
  • @digitalamator thanks but I can not even read the content of the site. I think it is in polish.

• Yes, i,m from Poland and this is polish site but i think you can buy this battery on ebay too, just looking for name: BLC 12

Acording last questions....i have class 10 card and dont have any problem. Battery live is...,hard to say i think. I dont know how long it live with constantly record but if i record, stop, on, off...ect this battery work about 2Gb files.

• @digitalamator does your battery show power level ?

• yes...this orginal and this new one (not orginal)....booth show power lvl.

• Micro vibration everywhere! ouch, even after updating firmware I get incredible amounts of micro vibrations from the Panasonic 12-35 lens on a G6. All footage shoot without tripod is basically unusable and will require washing in Premiere Stabilizer. I like the 12-35 less and less. Camera shake is one thing and acceptable but that a OIS lens cannot eliminate the small vibrations is pretty unforgivable I think.

• MikeA, is that because it is more suited to work on the GH3? If that is the state of the 12-35mm, is it the same for the 35-100mm? (I think people use them as a pair). This would have been a dream pair for me on the G6 but I'm put off now (thankfully :) -as they are very expensive).

• I was thinking of getting that lens too!

• This is the internet doing what it does best; stir unnecessary fear. I love the thread but lets not jump the gun here and damn all Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm lens because 1 users lens has "micro-vibrations". His very may well have that issue but I doubt it's endemic.

The "micro-vibrations" MikeA is referring to have nothing to do with the camera body as the stabilization is in the lens. Furthermore, I'd caution against damning the lens. It's more likely that Mike's specific lens is defective than ALL the 12-35mm lens being defective. Untold numbers of 12-35mm lens have been sold and I haven't read of any epidemic issues with the micro vibrations Mike is experiencing.

I speak from experience. I own the 12-35mm lens and a G6. I use them for video, timelapse (electronic shutter is awesome!), and of course photos. Until My Sony A7 arrives, the G6 and 12-35mm are my main kit and have been for oh... 2-3 months now. I haven't experienced any issues with the pair.

I want to be clear: MikeA's may very well be having issues. I just don't think it's all 12-35mm or 35-100mm Lumix lens.

In short, Focus on the specific lens being the issue not all Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm or 35-100mm lens. G6, GH3, G5 has nothing to do with it.

• @Quadri, poppycock! Put off...because of 1 bad report. What about the thousands of positive experiences users have with the combo. If your this easily put off maybe you should rethink buying any electronic product. :)

• Point taken hionhifi. It's quite easy though to get that feeling though when making tough choices. I can't afford it at the moment anyway so it made me feel better :-). what I had in mind was to keep the newer, compact 14-42mm and when I get money to use the 35-100 for bigger events where more distance is required.

• @Qadri, I understand where your coming from. Dropping big money on faulty electronics sucks. I love the G6 but the FF of the A7 stole my heart. I've always liked Sony cameras, hopefully the A7 delivers on its promises.

I have a Panasonic Lumix 45-150mm lens which I like a lot. Not very fast but it's cheap reach when I need it and I've used it more than I would have thought in the beginning. I'd love to have the 35-100mm myself.