Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Actually I made some great shots and video with wifi enabled remote on a concert, holding the camera high up above heads on a monopod, and my wife handled the phone ...

• But you have only qvga and vga quality when use wifi and the focus is suffering especialy in low light.

• +1 for the wifi, I love it.

• Been doing more shooting with the G6 recently and it's still a joy to use.

My only qualm with it is the menu system could do with some improvement, not the easiest thing to navigate. Also the options for what is displayed on the screen could do with better customization. It's annoying that the spirit level (which is just a distraction for me) is always on in two of the default views, can't find a way to remove it.

Anyway here's some lightly graded, low-light, high ISO footage from the G6. ISO ranged from 800-1600 and was shot with an old cosmicar tv lens wide open. All audio was recorded straight from the G6 as well. No NR in post. Shot @ 1080p 25fps MP4 format. The G6 handles mosquito noise pretty well I think.

• Pretty cool Protocol..some of the effects from these old lenses are really good

• Just a few bits I shot today. All at 24p. No tripod yet so used warp stabiliser on CS6...awful!

• A car needs a spare tire, or to be fitted with run flat tires. Most tires have wifi, which is how the car knows how much pressure is in the tires. A camera doesn't really need wifi, but it can be handy, it isn't a safety feature/

• Would be interesting to see if G6 can get 120 FPS at 720, but judging by the list I imagine that the hack is quite some time from being realized.

• What can we reasonably expect from a hack? I have to say the prospect of the g6 being hacked sold it to me

• above all, no mud ;) due to a higher bit rate - and in Europe 60p

• Is 120 frames possible at 720? I don't know much but I suppose it's how much the hack can eek out of the processor?

• gh1 or 2 hacks have never given new framerates ...why do you think that's even a remote possibility ? Panasonic did an official firmware that gave 1080/30p on the gh2. I don't believe that any large sensor camera has 720/120p except for the f5/f55 and the fs700. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Wasn't me who raised the frame rate possibility....I refer you to the above post by federiqo.....read the thread....doh. As I mentioned previously I'm new to these cameras.....so sue me!

• @DeadMeadow

Wasn't me who raised the frame rate possibility....I refer you to the above post by federiqo.....read the thread....doh. As I mentioned previously I'm new to these cameras.....so sue me!

You weren't quoted were you ?? ....doh ! New to these cameras as well as the internet ? That's how it works. If I @-ed you , and then quoted you , then I'd be referring to exactly what you said, otherwise I'm just adding to the general body of knowledge , regardless that it sequentially follows your post.

• @DeadMeadow @kurth

With all personal discussion to PM. Topic is not proper place to discuss who is wrong and who is right.

• My possibly ill informed thoughts on 120FPS @ 720 was based on:

1920×1080x32 = 66.355.200

1280*720x32 = 29.491.200

Since the G6 can do 60FPS at 1920 and 720 would require less than 50% of the raw pixel-data than that. I assumed the data bus could handle it. The shutter can be set to much higher speeds than required so that wouldn't be a problem either.

I admit I know nothing about if and how these cameras pre-process to handle the data bandwidths (which are very high of course) and being new to digital photography I have not had time to investigate it properly, but my assumption was based on the fact on sheer data volumes in combination with being able to set the compression levels, possibly cutting down some of the extra processing time.

I realize that compressing 120 frames per second could require more time than 60, but is it really THAT much more if the data volume is significantly less. If my assumption is ignorant I apologize, but now you know why and how it was made, feel free to explain why it's flawed because I am interested in learning about this.

• Vitaliy, I appologise. As a new user of this range of cameras I'm just trying to get an understanding. Sometimes this seems to somehow offend people!

• Does anyone know if there is analog live view feed from G6? Pal output.

• I think the analog thingie works only in playback.

• The M43 system in general and the G6 in particular are large enough to provide good ergonomics yet small enough to make a light, compact kit. The G6 is unobtrusive. It doesn't shout "look at me". It doesn't have the most pixels or highest technical image quality scores in it's market sector. But it integrates picture quality, performance, user interface, ergonomics, stills and video, eye level view and monitor view in a coherent fashion which few other cameras can match. The G6 works very well for the beginner or snapshooter, just press the [iA] button and you have a high quality point and shoot camera

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.ru/2013/09/panasonic-lumix-g6-camera-review.html#!/2013/09/panasonic-lumix-g6-camera-review.html

• I don't agree with this...iA is the worst piece of crap. Have have not yet seen decent "intelligent" on any camera. G6 is very good with stills if you know what you do...if you want to use iA then buy some compact brick.

• Some more test shooting with a nice tune. Best watched direct from youtube. The small window size adds a load of artefacts...hate the youtube compression! All shot at 1080 24p and graded in Magic Bullet....christ I need a tripod!

• G6 is very good with stills if you know what you do...if you want to use iA then buy some compact brick.

It is sad to upset you, but iA code is almost the same across Panasonic cameras. Including compacts. And belive me, it is quite complicated things in modern cameras with big database of various shots stored, so it is kind of intelligent :-)

• Ok, so two things I found out about the G6 that are not that good. The video files names (I mean actually the files numbers) will start from 0 everytime you delete the video files (tested in three different g6's, but let me know if you do not experience that in your camera). This is kind of a p.i.a. when imprting the files into any editing program. The other no-good thing I discovered yesterday is that when filming in any other mode than video program the autofocus will always be AF Continuos, doesn't matter if you put it in AFS, AFF or AFC. On manual focus will be ok, thought. One last thing, the G6 is not supported by the Adobe raw plug in, so you can not use this files directly into photoshop or any other Adobe software (like using timelapse into Premiere).

• All my files from my us version of the G6 are P1XXXXXX.jpg or P1XXXXXX.mp4 No idea what the file numbering is with AVCHD as that whole hierarchy is pain IMHO.

Cheers, Pete