Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Shot on G6. All shots 50p except the final shot in 24p.

• I like the look captured here on the G6 - thoughts anybody? Not my video - still not in stock in Australia.

• Just got the g6 and loving it. The kit 14 140 is not bad but really enjoying it with the zuiko 12mm.

Got it mainly for timelapse and video and working out well so far Didn't think the wifi stuff would bother me but remote control from ipad whilst doing timelapse is actually damned handy.

Ten

• How well does the image hold up for basic color correction and color grading?

Under basic 3 point or studio lighting how well does focus peaking work, especially with faces in close ups and human to human/environment focus pulls during medium shots?

• I just got my new G6 and so far I am loving it. One problem, thought. I can not open raw pictures in Photoshop CS5. I updated the camera raw plugin, but still it says that the camera raw does not support it. Is anybody having the same issue?

• @Badilla:

I had this situation too. Apparently the latest versions of Camera Raw do not work with CS5. AFAIK there are two options:

• use the free Adobe DNG Converter (version 8.1) to convert G6 raw files to DNG before opening them in CS5.

• update to CS6 or newer to be able to use Camera Raw 8.1 directly with G6 files.

If anyone knows a way of getting Camera Raw 8.1 to work with CS5, that info would be much appreciated.

• Yeh I had this same problem with Lightroom 4.3, it turns out the raw converter in Lightroom is baked in so I have to upgrade to Lightroom 5 if I want to process any G6 raw files. Really frustrating as I'm used to just shooting RAW and forgoing JPEGS.

Here's a video from my first day with the G6, saw these guys rehearsing in the park so it was a perfect opportunity to take some test footage. I'm finding the G6 handles really well, such a joy to use.

Standard picture profile - 24P AVCHD - 14-42mm kit lens - AF & IS On - quick magic bullet looks grade.

You can see a bit of rolling shutter, I had the shutter speed set quite high IIRC - certainly nowhere near 1/50.

• Shot this movie with the G6 for the 48 hour movie project Rotterdam last weekend. Lenses used: Panasonic 14-42, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Voigtlander25mm f0.95 (spoken in dutch)

• G6 Firmware update

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

2013/08/27

Ver. 1.1

1. Connection problem with Apple Mac computers via Wi-Fi is fixed.(G6,GF6)

2. Stability of automatic display switch (LVF/LCD) in response to the Eye Sensor is improved.(G6)

• @o2warp

This is really good news.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How high is G6 on the hack priority list?

• Good news indeed, G6 has some serious video potential.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, will you be collecting donations specifically for G6 and GF6?

• will you be collecting donations specifically for G6 and GF6?

After GH3 dumping completion and some progress on reversing only.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't want to sound too demanding, but is there any rough eta when that might happen? A month, 6 months, even more?

• I don't want to sound too demanding, but is there any rough eta when that might happen? A month, 6 months, even more?

It'll happen as soon as it'll be possible.

• stupendous !!!!

• Great news!!

• Yes! I knew that eye sensor problem would have to be addressed via firmware at some point.

• It is amazing Panasonic has released a firmware update so soon. :-o

Maybe they WANT it to be hacked? ;-)

• poor sales maybe? Perhaps if hacked it would drive more GH2 users over to it?

• In this case they should send the decrypted firmware directly to Vitaliy_Kiselev :)

• Since there seems to be only one firmware to download I assume the region is not encoded in the firmware but set in another portion of the camera. Will it be possible to unlock the 60 FPS mode in a hacked firmware? Or will regions persist and frame rates locked to multipliers of respective regions?

• once it is hacked, there won't be any region problem don't worry. BTW you can use NTSC cam in PAL land just adjust your shutter speed accordingly and vice versa.

• That's great news, thank you! But I must admit I don't understand how shutter speed would affect frame rate. But this is probably the wrong thread for that follow up question.