Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Oooooh firmware released...

Here we go!

• I made some test shots with G6, and compiled it in a small movie, comments are wellcome:

Panasonic G6 + Olympus 45mm f1.8. 1080p-50p mp4 format- mostly standard settings... Some of the scenes were shot with tripod or monopod, some hand held, so some of the videos are shaky... SW used: Microsoft Movie Maker (sadly, it uses high compression, the original shots are more sharp and clear, + youtube is compressing it too... ) Focus modes used: AFS, AFF but mostly manual focus... In the last wasp and bee on flower scene extended tele conversion was used...

• Still testing my new G6, but so far I love it. Two things, thought: everytime I copy the video files to my mac and I delete them from the card and shoot again, the nect files starts again from number 0000, which is really anoying. Is any body having the same problem? The other thing is that I can not open the raw files in premiere or photoshop cs 5, even if I updated the camera raw plug in....

• Hu. Just saw that the adobe camera raw plug in has no support for the G6 (yet, hopefully). http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

• I have continuos number of file. You can change this in camera settings.

• Just got my G6 and it's quite equal to my GH2 in terms of image quality. I really like better LCD and focus peaking. Keeping both.

• Some old first tests...

• Hi...new to this forum and new to dlsr shooting. Used to have an Ex1....jumped in with the G6 and just shot a few bits on my second day of having the camera. Had pretty much everything on -5 apart from noise reduction. Thought this was the way to go if I wanted to grade. All this stuff was shot at 1080 24p straight out of camera, no colour correction.

Anyway take a look and any set up tips or advice greatly welcomed! Still getting used to this camera

• Hi #Digitalamator. Ok, looked for that settings of continuos video file number but cant find it...where was it?

• Only issue I have had so far with the g6 is that it has frozen during reviewing footage in cam. Have to take the battery out and restart the camera. Wonder if this is because I didn't format the sd card when I first got it.......any thoughts?

• It happened with my G6 too, this should be adressed by Panasonic...

• I dont have problem like this. I have a different question....how to live streaming from g6 to pc ?

• DeadMeadow, I have similar problems when controlling the camera over wifi, it sometimes locks up and it can only be restarted by taking out the battery.

• We need to let Panasonic know about this!

• really guys..you have a strange problem. I dont have any problems likt this.

• Lucky you digitalamator! Mine has done it once already today

• I've had it for a day now and with a 28mm canon fd lens it's been reallynice (other than manual focusing images). Mine has frozen up as well while using the wifi function, I guess it's a pretty common thing.

• I think it's a network problem, the new firmware addresses Mac problems with wifi, but there may be problems with the implementation itself. It seems it never times out and resets, if it did we should be able to fix it by terminating the wifi from the controlling unit, but that doesn't work. You have to pull the battery.

If you haven't experienced this problem, try to move out of wifi range while issuing commands to the camera, that's likely to set off this bug.

• who really needs wifi ??? is somehow "fifi"

• A car doesn't necessarily need a spare wheel, but sometimes it's nice to have, and the fact that when you pay for something it's reasonable that it actually works.

• We'll said federiqo

• I just bought the G6 a week ago as an upgrade from the GH1. I love the many new features. Only I am not happy with the viewfinder, it is worse than the GH1. The viewfinder is not sharp, it only sharpens when i press the record-movie button. Is it maybe a wrong setting? Has anybody else has this problem.

• My G6 has never locked up one single time. I have recorded over 1T with it so far and not a single lock up.

Then again I haven't ever used the wifi, as there aren't too many options to connect to up in the mountains or on the shore of SF Bay :)

Cheers, Pete

• Well, wifi is a nice feature, I can use my phone as a remote controller, (the first great advantage of the focus by wire tech is i can focus lenses through wifi), and even zooming with power zoom. I can set white balance and stuff, and with electronic shutter enabled it is a real stealth remote camera. Imagine this scenario: During wildlife photography, you can hide the camera in the near bushes where the bear uses to go, than you can make photos safely from a few 10 meters away. Or if our not interested in wildlife photography, you can just hide it in the neighbors bedroom :D Connection set is a peace of cake if you have nfc enabled phone, start the app first, then touch the camera with the phone, connection is made in a few seconds ...

Back to the froze issue. generally the freeze happens when I suddenly terminate the connection in the phone by going too far away, or exiting the Image app in the phone. if I terminate the connection in the camera first, usually is OK.