Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @sleepy32 I think I have a Fotodiox fd to micro four thirds adapter.

• Always hangs in HBR mode, when shooting a lot of motion. iDynamic on low, iRes off.

• @mityazabuben which setting are you using/ what type of sd card?

• @driftwood

Currently looking into a possible switch for moon t7 (over t5, which I like very much) as t7 looks rather enticing though I struggle to find some clear notes on differences between the two. Maybe you can help?

For me, it´s not just a question of high end quality but also the possibility of switching to L, using 25p(HBR) e.t.c. if the circumstances require it.. So it would be nice to know a bit about stability reports and how it performs in lower quality too (mind, I only use 64gb sdxc sandisk cards), compared to t5.

The reason I want to look into this right now is because I´m going to create a few LUT´s to match gh2, bmd and fs700 footage (in resolve, premiere a.s.o) and so I don´t want to have to do it again. If you want I can share the results!

• @RRRR The matrices aren't too dissimilar so the low/hi freq luma range hardly changes between the two but there is much better spread of quantisation / bitrate over this range in moon T7 which should improve fidelity and artifacting further.

HBR is pretty good/similar in both settings however, improvements will be appearing in HBR/720 modes in a future moon release. Spizz T7 will probably appear first (since a lot of work has been ongoing in that setting) and the technology and ideas in that will go into moon T8.

• Roger that! Thanks a lot for your input, @driftwood! I´ll keep my eyes peeled about the development of the future t8 and install t7 for now.

• I have the choice of shooting with either the GH2 or GH3 this weekend with both the 12-35mm and the 35-100mm lens for a short film. Which camera would be the best to use? Would moon t7 be to sharp?

• @azza_act moon T7 if it were me :-)

• Been using Moon T7 for a short film this week. Had Sedna running up until then. All I can say is, it's like a new camera in a good way. the 720 60p stuff looks bloody amazing as well. May be my imagination but the shadow detail just seems to be so much more than before. Brilliant.

• How much recording time can you get on a 64GB using moon t7 at 1080p24?

• First time using Moon T5 and attempting something cinematic in looks, so I'm just looking for some feedback on a grade and a lens for a short i have planned.

GH2, Canon FD 50mm 1.4, Moon T5 24p, Smooth profile -2222, graded in Sony Vegas with 3way CC and AAV ColorLab, no sharpening.

Before and after snapshot from video frame, natural lighting. Thanks.

Image3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Image2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • This one (moon T7) is my favorite. I've been testing 25p for a few days now and quality is all good. Done some lowlight, under exposure and camera movement tests and i'm surprised how close it is to 24p. One problem thou: after 7 min. recording stops. Tested using Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 and 64.

• My favourite setting is Moon T7 for GOP1 Intra. It has the most consistent noise pattern for noise reduction in post production. I have just tested Cluster X DREWnet Trial 9 long GOP and it shows less noise in the darker areas than the stock firmware and works really well in FSH interlaced mode. I am testing water flow in a stainless kitchen sink as it reveals any colour artefacts in shadow areas. I shot using stock 14-42 kit lens, High Bitrate & FSH, ISO160 f7.1 50th sec shutter. 24fps not tested as I use all my footage in the PAL world. Screen grab for reference; not full size.

Screen Shot.png
    1024 x 579 - 927K
  • Cluster X DREWnet Trial 9 stopped recording after 14 mins. No Spanning. HBR 25P on SanDisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s card. Will try some new tests. File size was 4.29 GB.

• @Rambo From those screen grabs, you're here for one of two reason. 1. To pick up your grandchildren(Which are VERY young grandchildren:-) ) or 2. Kill me. Not sure which one though. :)

• Why not both?

• GH2 CLUSTER X.

• I have something weird to report using moon t5, (but i´m still not sure if that is the cause, it seems more like a hardware problem, but the weird thing is that i change back to the stock firmware and the problems seems to be gone)...

i was using the gh2 for pictures and suddenly the lcd kind of displayed only the green channel, then sometimes the red, sometimes the blue, and sometimes the actual picture, sometimes the image appeared proportionaly distorted, like skewed and with a magenta tint, sometimes i could only see a portion of the image or it displayed a whity yellowish image, sometimes it displayed something that looked like a vertical interlaced, someimes an horizontal interlaced, etc... it occured quite randomly, and only when i rotate the lcd,

i tried using the viewfinder, and most of the time the viewfinder worked as expected, but every now and then it displayed only a portion of the image, and sometimes the left side of the image turned solid green whenever i pressed the lvf/lcd button...

still though, i dont know, it looks more like a problem with the cables on the articulated lcd, but since i have changed to the stock firmware the problem is gone :/

(using cinema profile, idynamic on, auto white balance, the 14mmf2.5 pancake, and the 64gb 95mb/s extreme pro sandisk)

• @lolo That is odd. I haven't encountered that with T5, but would you be willing to test the repeatability of that? We'd have to rule out the most likely possibility (which is that the camera was having issues that were not related to the settings but stopped glitching the next time the firmware was flashed) by doing 3 flahses consecutively.

1) Flash Moon T5 and try to recreate the problem. If successful, go to step 2. 2) Flash Stock Firmware and try to recreate the problem. If unsuccessful for an extended period of time, go to step 3. 3) Flash Moon T5 and try to recreate the problem.

If you're up for the testing, it would be helpful to report your findings. Honestly it sounds like there's something wrong with the camera (like you mentioned) that is the real culprit in this case. But there's nothing wrong with being thorough and it's possible that if there's a pre-existing problem with your camera, that the problem is better highlighted by a high-performance setting than a standard one.

Still, it would be the first time in years of using hacked settings that I heard of an issue like this popping up just with hacked settings, so it would be nice to know one way or the other.

• mmmh perhaps the battery was the issue, beacuse to load the stock firmware i had to fully charged the battery (it was a panasonic original though)

• @lolo Could be - it's hard to say. I know my Canon 50D wigs out when it gets low on battery in the grip.

• @thepalalias i´m sorry but it scared the shit out of me :p, i dont want to risk a brick, because i´m currently unemployed and i´m writing a feature that i expect to shoot with the gh2, i´m sorry but i´m not willing to... i just thought that the community should know

• @lolo I understand - best of luck with the feature. :)

But for what it's worth, so far there's nothing to indicate that it has anything to do with Moon T5. There are too many other variables involved (the battery having been recharged, the issue only having occurred when the setting was flashed once with no evidence of repeatability) and it's the only reported instance of the issue so far after months of use with the setting by a lot of users.

I think it's good that you mentioned it, because if someone else has it, then we know to start looking at what's going. But for now it's just data in a "for future reference" file rather than anything to inspire caution. :)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters