Personal View site logo
Mercedes VS Hitler (By Cinema Students, not authorized by Mercedes Benz)
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • Haha, um kind of funny... but also still inappropriate in my option. Feels kind of wrong to watch what happens to Hitler. Would have been more appropriate if Mercedes-Benz somehow taught Hitler a lesson about tolerance and morality, but then that's no fun :)

• It's funny, but if you think of which cars Hitler drove around in all the time…

• @nomad

You got the point. I don't realize if this AD is really unathorized or not. There is new science "Neuro Marketing", i really would like to hear @Vitaliy about this.

• 0:38 to 0:54

and then:

Was the "gold scene" in the movie a hidden product placement? You don't need to show the product anymore, that's part of "Neuro Marketing". If it's hidden, it works better, and it is cash :)

• @jean71

haha nice, but too late history has already been made.

• There is new science "Neuro Marketing", i really would like to hear @Vitaliy about this.

I think it is just good idea and good implementation. All this "inappropriate" statement are, well, inappropriate.

• Ok, I will call the MB short clever and in that sense it's a "good idea" with "good implementation".

But I'm still going to stick to my first opinion (just my opinion), that watching a car hit and kill a boy is kind of inappropriate to pass off as humor... even if it is a young Hitler.

In a machiavellian sense, one would have to believe that the misguided beliefs and ideals of the future leader of the Nazi party were already set in the mind of a young child to justify his murder.

One would have to believe that young Hitler was already pure evil and was not instead a product of his environment, molded by societal forces to eventually grow up to be the mad man that the world would eventually know him as.

I completely agree with everyone that Hitler was a bad dude.

But Hitler as a kid? It's just a kid we see getting killed by a Mercedes Benz. Every child has the potential to grow up to do good or bad (yeah, I know good or bad is subjective, but you know what I mean).

Funny to some? Sure. Funny to me? Nah, cause I don't think it's appropriate.

Just my opinion... or maybe I should say, it just doesn't suite my tastes. That's all :)

• A child getting killed by a car is just not funny IMO. Also the whole approach of using that particularly horrible part of history to sell a car seems quite cynical to me.

• @Wilbo

Do not overthink things :-) using such approach for any film can lead to the very funny conclusions.

@ickejohannes

A child getting killed by a car is just not funny IMO. Also the whole approach of using that particularly horrible part of history to sell a car seems quite cynical to me.

Problem is that you do not understand the context. And it is being that they used existing manufacturer marketing and attached to it new meaning. And it is fun.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In my opinion there are certain things that are not fun regardless of context, eg a realistic depiction of a child being killed by a car.

• Realistic depiction of a child being killed by a car.

LOL :-) Have you ever saw in life "realistic depiction of a child being killed by a car"?

• Realistic does not mean real. I was trying to distinguish it from stylized depictions that I do not object to.

• @ickejohannes

OK, so, you want car to stop, half naked baby to get out and slap Adolf , so symbolically it'll be absolutely proper and won't depict something "wrong"?

• @ickejohannes

I want to find something acceptable by your standards :-)

• Acceptable things by my standard would include: The child exploding into thousands of little gory pieces. The child being flattened where the tires went over it. etc. etc. Anything that says: This is not real. But the "cinema students", in their desperation to be noticed (where does that desperation come from, I wonder?), deliberately show the dead boy without any such stylization. In my opinion they should reconsider their approach to cinema. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?

• @ickejohannes @Vitaliy

In reality this is a thing we saw a lot of times in movies: somebody/something come from the future, and "settle things". I don't see violence in it, just because you can't replicate the fact in real life, unless you don't have a time machine. That clip is more a "divertissement" that any other thing. The topic is not funny at all (Hitler), but we had already killed him in Wolfenstain and in many others way, even as like nazi-zombie. The fact is the car don't see that child like a normal child (the car stopped just few seconds ago in front of "two normal kids", safety message delivered), it suggest we don't see a child there, we see Hitler. And we settle things. It's a little nasty, but, in my point of view, totally acceptable.

• But the "cinema students", in their desperation to be noticed (where does that desperation come from, I wonder?), deliberately show the dead boy without any such stylization. In my opinion they should reconsider their approach to cinema. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?

Quite strange position, but I do not think it justify demand to "reconsider their approach to cinema".

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Do not overthink things :-)"

Yeah, I am kind of over thinking things :) It is what it is.

On the technical side: This student video is shot better than anything I did in school, and almost every type of production I've worked on since :)

(Although, that's not saying too much because I only shoot/edit as a side job these days. My career is in an office like most people, haha)

• We have been sold the image of Hitler as the encarnation of evil, as part of a very profitable and polarized/dual conception of human beings' nature. But, quite the opposite, recent studies deepen the evidence (theoretical, if you want) that nazism wouldn't have been possible without the acceptance and uphold of german people and many silent allies (jews amongst them... but other kind of inglorious bastards). Anyway there have been many, many, many hitlers in history, some still ruling. Fuck them all!!!

As far as I am concern this is a great video (spec or not, consented or not) which represents neatly what publicity language is all about, just my opinion, not even worth 2 cents, je je

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Quite strange position,"

Not sure that's an argument.

"but I do not think it justify demand to "reconsider their approach to cinema"."

Didn't "demand" anything, merely stated an opinion.

@Jean71

My point is not about the fact of Hitler being killed, but specifically about the image of the dead boy. I'm not sure that is so common..

• good idea, very good execution (double meaning), especially for film students; hats off. If you feel offended, do so, I'm sure they don't care anyway.

• @ickejohannes

Icke, i don't know which nationality do you have (i'm italian).

The fact also is: the german people are very sensible about all things related to Hitler, and for them, more than for all european people, this Hitler thing is a shame and a stain they still can't deal with.

Just think the "Mein Kampf" is published and distributed in all countries, except Germany. For fully evaluate this clip, i think we also need to fit in German people clothes.

Just few days ago, Angela Merkel was remembering the horrors of Hitler's dictatorship.

Anyway, i don't see any soul that risks to forfeit for this clip, but it is just my opinion :-)

• @Jean71

Funnily enough, it's not really the Hitler stuff that I am bothered by, but exclusively the image of a child killed by a car. It seems to me that there are certain things that a lot of people are offended by, eg a picture of a child killed by a car, and that this is not merely a convention (though Hollywood is known to not show this), but an expression of something that might be related to humanism. Perhaps a child is a symbol of innocence and therefore should not be killed in a film (whereas an adult can be guilty and thus deserve death (not my opinion, merely explaining what I consider to underlie some people's instincts)). And the other funny thing is: I'd be willing to take a bet that these "cinema students" have a little voice in the back of their minds right now telling them that you cannot use the image of a dead child to kickstart your career. And it is my humble and deeply personal view that you risk your soul when you don't listen to that voice.