Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • ...not that there is anything wrong with that...

• This is raw humour Lol!

• Does anyone have autofocus problems in direct sunlight with the GH3 and the 14-140 (old model) in creative video mode?

I'm using AFC mode (example videos at the end of the post). The AF gets confused in direct sunlight when shooting people moving (like dancing running etc).

I'm shooting in creative video mode.

Settings:

AF mode: 23-Area

Motion picture menu: exposure mode: P, Continuous AF: ON

Custom menu: Quick AF: ON

Video samples demonstrating the problem:

• Yes,

I got that autofocus problem too, and even worse on the lumix g vario 12-35 mm lens

• Thanks lonely1. This confirms my doubts. Since it happens with more than one lens it must be a problem with the GH3 body firmware.

• Got my GH3 end of last year, traded in my EX1R for it. So far I'm happy with the picture quality and am still exploring, my main opinions are about the controls:

• want more options for function buttons (eg zebra)
    • want less clicks on function buttons (eg Tele Conv as simple on/off, not a sub menu)
    • want more options on dials (eg ISO, or WB colour temp)
    • want dials on body and grip to be independent (eg ability to have F, SS, ISO and WB on each wheel)
    • want to be able to allocate no function to a control

other random thoughts:

• instant ISO would be handy (equivalent to instant SS) just to see what the computer is thinking
    • picture profile controls seem limited
    • it's cool!
  • Any one know why after 999 stills number jumps to next 10000 and pictures goes to new folder? 30999 jumps to 40001. Very annoying with timelapse sequence import. Or its only my GH3?

• Or its only my GH3?

@konjow that cannot confirm, but there are plenty free utilities, useful for many purposes, that batch rename and relocate files. Anyway, you may get more context response/feedback at GH3 issues topic :-)

• @konjow @maxr This is the one I use for renaming GH2 and Canon files on Windows. http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer

• My 12-35mm Vario behaves similarly, but I've only ever shot in the shade or on overcast days (haven't been able to locate any decent ND filters here in Vietnam). But your samples are the most seriously bad examples of focus hunting I've ever seen. For sure the camera should have been able to keep the subjects in focus, esp. given the DOF in bright sunlight. My Panny TM 900 autofocus performs better, but that may also be because of the tiny sensor? I'd say it's best to use manual focus, but then why oh why did I spend so much for two Panny zooms with IOS if they can't even lock on a bright contrasty subject that fills 80% of the frame? Again, I have never experienced anything nearly as bad as what you shot though.

• @jopnais Just to make sure I'm following correctly, do you mean "O.I.S." or "I.O.S."? Because if you mean O.I.S. then I would say that the stabilization and auto-focus don't really have much to do with each other.

But in terms of video AF, the camcorders have generally performed much better than the DSLR and mirrorless DSLR replacements. The deeper the DOF, the more forgiving AF tends to be, but I would think there are a lot of other factors in play.

The GH3 should be one of the better ones in terms of hybrid cameras, so I would try messing around with different AF options if focus hunting is a big issue. But I normally only use AF for stills - and I'm not a GH3 owner myself at this point.

• @thepalalias Yes, I should have said OIS... And it's true it has nothing to do with the focusing ability, I only meant that I was paying for all these bells and whistles, but it still struggles to focus. I had never used an interchangeable autofocus lens before getting the GH3 and the 2 zooms, so I can't really make any comparisons between other models, but after seeing so many glowing reviews, I think I was expecting something a little better - not only a little more accurate, but faster as well. But I also need to experiment with some of the other focus modes before placing all the blame on the camera.

• Thanks @maxr @thepalalias Im using automator which fix problem. I was wonder if its only in mine. It will have a millions snops pretty soon with this speed :)

• To the GH3 and Davinci Resolve users, do you have any good LUTs to share like Captain Hook's LUT for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera?

• @SuperSet, yeah, look at Shians ColorGear stuff

• @jonpais, @thepalalias, I'm the OP with the AF problems and I can assure you I got it again today on an event with the same lens/camera combination. But, I see several people are having the same problem which is unacceptable for such a camera. Maybe we should complain to Panasonic (with samples) through support and demand a firmware update? Anyone knows the support form for Europe?

• @thanos If you are having problems with AF on the GH3 that you did not have on the GH2 or GH1, then you should definitely write them. Otherwise, I don't really see what there is to write about - it simply does not perform as well with AF as a camcorder and buyers should know that.

But of course, it's worth writing to let them know that it's important to improve it. I just don't think it's an "error", just an indication of overall lower performance.

• The GH series from Panasonic does not do continous AF well (AFC). We do not film in AFC and instead film in AFS, half shutter for focus adjustments or pulling it manually.

This way you have more control over what the camera does.

The day a camera comes out with a large sensor and a shallow DOF and can pull focus better than a manual operator is the day I worry about my job.

• Not to be controversial but I just can't swallow how the top of the line camera with the 14-140 HD that is advertised by Panasonic as appropriate for video, fails so miserably in such a detrimental situation. That's not difficult lighting by any means, neither did I zoom in/out as is not recommended in the manual (yes I've read it cover to cover). It's just plain sunlight for crying out loud. If they're putting a feature in a camera they should either make it work or warn the potential buyer that it doesn't work in so and so situations. The only warning is the manual is that AFC doesn't work well if you zoom during recording. Whatever, I'll give it a chance with Panasonic service and if all fails this goes back.

• @thanos I understand that it's a very common situation, but I guess my first question is once again "what are you comparing it to"?

The camera is appropriate for video - in fact it is very, very good for it. But it is not good for shooting with continuous AF (and that is true practically every "hybrid" camera out there) and there have been videos that demonstrated that ever since it was released. There are a lot of camcorders out there that can do better.

I would tell Panasonic how you feel (it's good for them to know that people care about this) but in terms of getting the work you want done as quickly and easily as possible, I would definitely look into camcorders.

For me personally, video AF is one of the least important features on a camera - I prefer to have manual focus. In fact I'd say I shoot manual focus about half the time even when shooting stills (and that includes using telephoto lenses for wildlife photography).

But when I use it, I like it to be as good as possible. And if the AF on less expensive still camera models were closer to the stills AF on Canon 1DX or Nikon D4, I would probably use it more often.

• @vicharris Holy crap, you were right. I bought the Pro version, watched some of the tutorials and started tweaking around in Resolve with some great results. Thanks a bunch!

• @thepalalias I'm comparing it to AF systems of lesser and much cheaper mirrorless cameras in the 500€ range (I won't mention brands here) that do video much better. Of course priorities dictate the buying decision so maybe you don't care about AF but I do and I think I've been royally fooled by Panasonic since they make so much fuss about videography and AF capabilities in their marketing material: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/still_response.html#contrastaf and http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/video_shooting.html

Anyway since I've seen many people share the same problem I'm relieved that the problem is not mine and after this season is over I'll kick this camera down really fast. I don't really have any hopes that Panasonic will correct this in a new firmware.

Yet another one of the AF failures I had yesterday:

• @thanos

First, use GH3 issues topic.

What was the focus distance and focal length?

• @thanos

I've looked at your stuff and find that you are whining for nothing. Most of your scenes are low in contrast: beige frond against neutral bkg... white shirts against overexposed sky... The GH3 is the only pro level DSLR that even gives you the remote possibility of AF while shooting. Under your shooting circumstances you should be locking focus as you would with most other cameras.