Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev just found it. Didn't know there was one, thanks. The distance was about 2 meters and focal length was ~ 100mm in this video. In the others (people dancing) it was 14mm and distance 3-10m away.

@Conundrum I don't think so. Low contrast is only my last video but as you can see there I was forced to half press the shutter and momentarily it does focus correctly but then it slips away.

• I have been following this site for a few months already, reading avidly all comments related to the Lumix GH3, as that is my camera, actually, the first "serious" camera I have ever had (just used basic p&s before). I bought it because I'm interested in hybrid photography and, though my primary intention was shooting more video, I have ended up shooting more pictures.

Maybe because it's more intimate and individual, or more immediate than video, I have discovered the pleasure of street photography the last months thanks to this camera. I know this site is more video-oriented, and I have just finished my first music video with it (will upload it soon), but today I wanted to praise the GH3 as a stills camera. It's a formidable tool, easy to carry and operate, user friendly, and a great catcher. You can see lots of examples in my blog!

http://gonzalobroto.blogspot.com

• Any idea when Panasonic will make an update or perhaps there will be a hack to keep the audio meter during recording. It annoys me that I can't monitor it on the LCD. Focus peaking would also be great! I don't have any other complaints. It is a great camera.

• Any idea when Panasonic will make an update or perhaps there will be a hack to keep the audio meter during recording. It annoys me that I can't monitor it on the LCD.

Officially it won't happen, i think, due to OLED screen limitations.

• @Superset :) Sure thing buddy. Use it with my BMCC in Resolve.

• Just a little trailer from a shoot last weekend.

• @azza_act, sensational stuff

• Please help! I shot something in 24p 50Mb mov format, but FCP is too slow to work with it. Should I turn the footages to ProRes? Thanks.

• @uzland FCP 7 or X? What are your system specs? In most cases, yes, you will need to transcode. Definitely transcode if on FCP 7. Lots of people like 5DtoRGB, you can also use Compressor. If using FCPX, it can transcode for you.

• It is FCP 7. My Mac is i7, 2.93 Ghz, 16Gb

• Can I transcode with MPEG Streamclip?

• Is it better to transcode with 5DtoRGB's Technicolor CineStyle? Does it do a batch transcoding?

• @uzland don't use cinestyle. that's for 5D footage shot with that setting. I know of people who use MPEG Streamclip. I'm pretty sure you can use it. Do a google search on it, I'm sure you'll get tons of answers.

• Just went through this last week editing some footage for a friend that was shot on the GH3. 5d to RGB wouldn't trancode the footage for some reason. Had to use streamclip and do every file individually. Changed everything to ProResHQ and worked fine in FCP7. Might be a better way but I was short on time.

• @vicharris do you have the latest version of 5DtoRGB? I read that there was an update that dealt with crashing due to GH3 footage.

• @vicharris also, if you have FCPX, you can use that to batch transcode. Just copy the transcoded files folder located in the Final Cut Events folder.

• @uzland 5DtoRGB has a batch version available in the app store for $$.

• @5thwall You know what, I've had an update sitting in my apps for a bit now and didn't do it. S.O.B.!!! That will teach me to procrastinate! Also totally forgot to answer your email on the budget thing. I'll send you one in a little bit.

• Hello all. Just wanted to share my latest wedding highlight. Used 3 GH3 cameras paired with metabones adapters, Contax Zeiss Primes, and Tamron Zooms. Shot with the Standard Profile set to -3 -3 -2 -5 and color corrected using Davinci Resolve. Thanks for all the great input so far. Definitely enjoying this camera a lot.

• So, "mediabrewer", what were you using for sound capture/editing?

Neil

• @mediabrewer Wow, lovely job. If you'd been around 23 years ago I'd have booked you!

• Hey rNeil. I use Zoom H1 recorders with matchstick mic lapels attached and placed into pockets and edit on Adobe Premiere CC. Thanks belfryman!

• @mediabrewer ...

Interesting. The sound was really pretty nice on the 'live' stuff. Nice job.

Neil

• @vicharris no worries! Look forward to hearing about it all.