Personal View site logo
Time for GH3 to have raw video!
  • I think it is about time that Panny make available all data/info that VK needs so we can get Raw from the GH3! What you guys think? MKIII now does raw 24P 1920X815 continuos raw with magiclantern.

• 62 Replies sorted by
  • @JBV_CINE

At exactly 13:13:13 .

• I don't need raw on the GH3. Ideally, we'd get a higher bitrate for the INTRA modes. 4:2:2 would be awesome, too.

And if Vitaly could make the GH3 somehow record in 4K or QuadHD, that would be amaaaaazing...

• @dak20 Raw will be released tomorrow.

• That's it. It's official. Not one F#@*ing person reads through a thread before asking a question!. It's actually now borderline insanity here.

• Hello! This is have Raw or Hack soon????????????

• @tosvus yeah I'm excited to work with raw video. I've shot projects with the RED One and Epic and never really enjoyed the workflow all that much. but they were huge heavy cameras too and never enjoyed shooting with them all that much either. Also, they were never my cameras and there's more fun in owning the camera and really learning how to get the most out of it.

I could never go back to shooting jpegs after shooting raw stills. Hoping video is similar experience. But in the back of my mind sd card technology isn't quite ready. Shooting raw it's like 15 minutes to a 64gb card compared to 4 hours shooting avchd.

But 256gb 95mb/s cards can't be that far off and that would mean 1hr per card. That toshiba announcement earlier this week may speed up sd card advancements.

• @woodybrando That is exactly what I am planning for! BMPCC for raw footage (i.e. most shots, especially for chromakey), GH3 for superwide shots and slow motion (60p).

• Does the 5d3 able to shoot long now?

• I had the 5d iii after the raw video announcement and sold it for gh3, bmpcc, 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8. I can wait till the bmpcc comes to get raw. Then for $2100 I'll have both the gh3 and the bmpcc which is less than the $2600 I paid for the 5diii. For me it's about those m43 lenses. Canon EF doesn't have an i.s. 24-70 f.2.8 and their 70-200 f2.8 is a monster. All the wide to normal zoom EF lenses are like 6+ years old with very noisy I.s. and constant f4.0 at best. I don't understand how canon regards EF as their flagship standard and neve update the EF lenses. The ef-s lenses have quiet I.s. I had an 8 hour shoot yesterday that would have left me exhausted and sore shooting with my old 5diii kit since it weighed 3x's as much as my m43 kit now. Also, if i do need more weight on my rig, I can have the gh3 and gh1 and both the 35-100 and 12-35 on at the same time for about the same weight as the 5diii.

It would be great to get higher bitrates for the gh3 codecs but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to improve the gh3 via firmware. I think their most memorable gh firmware upgrade to date was when they made the gh2 unhackable (atleast for awhile)

• the 5d mk3 is reliable ? You can record a lot without frying the camera ? How long footage can you record in an average 32gb card ?

But I agree with Vitaly ...I dont want RAW and the huge files that comes with it . I want a better codec from Panasonic. But ...I believe thats not gonna happen ...

• Guys, it's a little early to freak out... Still plenty of possibility for Panasonic to make some fixes in firmware, or guru Vitaliy to hack it and make some improvements.

@ghostlayer I'm sure the hacked 5D mk3 is giving superior footage, but you are in all fairness comparing it to a camera that costs less than half of that. The other downside with the Canon is that if you go Canon, you pretty much go full in, having to buy lenses etc. For a EF mount camera, certain other mount lenses can not be adapted etc. With m43 you have a lot more flexibility. I agree though - if my budget was much much higher, I would pick it too.

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it. Raw is off the chart but better debayer and color sampling should do. It does not seem like it is happening soon thou. Still I am with the GH2 most of the time.<

I fully agree

• My perspective may be amateurish as hell, but I'll say it...I think Lumix really dropped a ball on their GH series.

They started off great, with the GH1, then they overachieved themselves with the GH2 (albeit they could've give us another firmware and bring the bitrates somewhat closer to average hack levels) ..and then they came up with the GH3 with its silly new sensor and dubious moire issues...god knows what were they thinking when they released the GH3 firmware...cause that's nothing but pointless.

They had it, I really think they did...they were in position to shift the market momentum and become the go-to indie DSLR hybrid...now they lost the race to Canon.

• Same Request... Could we have raw footage out of GH2/GH3 ?! I am a huge fan and ambassador of GH's (since GH1) yet recent breakthrough on 5DMIII Raw seems like the Holy Graal for indie/pro users. A friend of mine juste told me, he sold all his GH3 gear and lenses to get 5DM3+Raw and he seems more than totally satisfied with it ! He was speechless watching the quality of his own footage. I was considering BMC Pocket but I now consider going for 5DM3 ...

• I'm just hoping for 4:2:2 over HDMI, and focus peaking, that's it :)

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it

Interesting... I haven't had any problem with the Intra-mode yet. I'll have to shoot some comparison stuff. What lenses are you using? Maybe it's again, only something that happens with the Panny glass?

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it. Raw is off the chart but better debayer and color sampling should do. It does not seem like it is happening soon thou. Still I am with the GH2 most of the time.

• I think what's important is not actually to achieve uncompressed raw capabilities in the GH series but rather a more sophisticated codec in these cameras like AVC-Intra or even AVC-Ultra. Having either codec (but preferably the latter) would open doors for 10-bit or 12-bit 4:2:2/4:4:4 at 100 Mbit/sec or higher in these cameras; plus would make for a much easier workflow as opposed to dealing with the workflow that's currently in the ML hacks. Uncompressed raw looks good on paper but it's not ideal. Why do you think there's Redcode for the RED cameras and the new Sony XAVC for Sony cameras to handle high resolutions and bitrates? On a side note: I'm interested in how Blackmagic managed to squeeze all that information in their pocket cam.

• i don't know if gh3 is prepared to process raw video. but i'm sure it's capable to manage high bitrates near uncompressed video which it's like a lionel messi goal in the champion's final, i mean, it would be a professional progress on the camera's settings.

higher bitrate (up from 244mbs) or uncompressed, proress 4:2:2... 10 bit, if we think in the sd card posibilities, or we can get a ninja... i guess we'll get an incredible quality out of our GH3 and stop thinking about mark III and his reign of chaos hahaha, but i'm saying RAW it's too much talking and not necessary!

thanks!

• What about some kind of motion jpeg format at higher resolutions, similar to 1D C? It's already capable of 20fps with the electronic shutter enabled for 80 images. Is there no way to extend that amount, and wrap it in a video codec perhaps? A 4k 24fps option would be pretty nice even if it's a less workable format.

• With RAW the GH2/GH3 would only be able to resolve 5-10 seconds per record - as VK rightfully mentions - the memory controller and SD card is simply not fast enough. Equivalent - think the Canon 60D.

• Really 10bit workflow will be enough for all tasks. RAW itself is very heavy and $$$ but if the will be no way other than RAW - if will be ok too.

i own gh1, selled somedays ago af100 (a f104 edition) and bought canon 50d for RAW testing, and you know - RAW really ROCKS!

I've worked with different workflows (all my camera upper) and at work with sony ex1r and with nanoflash recorder, and also tried RED one mx workflow, on which I am working on right now at work, and also tried sony ex1r on HD_SDI with BM DeckLink 10bit, and RED looks really amazing but ALL I really need and (and all that cover all my needs) is 10bit 422. everything that is more than that - is redundantly data. It is very good to have ability to use 12 or 14 or 16 bit and have more than 1080p but for most cases 1080p (maybe 720 because of internet videos?) with 10bit is enough for most tasks...

• I would stil like to see the gH2 hacked (with its larger than standard sensor) but either or will work.

• 10bit log.. that's all I need!!! if gh3.. or gh2 could do it I would cancel my blackmagic mft reserve

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions