Personal View site logo
Time for GH3 to have raw video!
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, it's a little early to freak out... Still plenty of possibility for Panasonic to make some fixes in firmware, or guru Vitaliy to hack it and make some improvements.

@ghostlayer I'm sure the hacked 5D mk3 is giving superior footage, but you are in all fairness comparing it to a camera that costs less than half of that. The other downside with the Canon is that if you go Canon, you pretty much go full in, having to buy lenses etc. For a EF mount camera, certain other mount lenses can not be adapted etc. With m43 you have a lot more flexibility. I agree though - if my budget was much much higher, I would pick it too.

• the 5d mk3 is reliable ? You can record a lot without frying the camera ? How long footage can you record in an average 32gb card ?

But I agree with Vitaly ...I dont want RAW and the huge files that comes with it . I want a better codec from Panasonic. But ...I believe thats not gonna happen ...

• I had the 5d iii after the raw video announcement and sold it for gh3, bmpcc, 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8. I can wait till the bmpcc comes to get raw. Then for $2100 I'll have both the gh3 and the bmpcc which is less than the $2600 I paid for the 5diii. For me it's about those m43 lenses. Canon EF doesn't have an i.s. 24-70 f.2.8 and their 70-200 f2.8 is a monster. All the wide to normal zoom EF lenses are like 6+ years old with very noisy I.s. and constant f4.0 at best. I don't understand how canon regards EF as their flagship standard and neve update the EF lenses. The ef-s lenses have quiet I.s. I had an 8 hour shoot yesterday that would have left me exhausted and sore shooting with my old 5diii kit since it weighed 3x's as much as my m43 kit now. Also, if i do need more weight on my rig, I can have the gh3 and gh1 and both the 35-100 and 12-35 on at the same time for about the same weight as the 5diii.

It would be great to get higher bitrates for the gh3 codecs but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to improve the gh3 via firmware. I think their most memorable gh firmware upgrade to date was when they made the gh2 unhackable (atleast for awhile)

• Does the 5d3 able to shoot long now?

• @woodybrando That is exactly what I am planning for! BMPCC for raw footage (i.e. most shots, especially for chromakey), GH3 for superwide shots and slow motion (60p).

• @tosvus yeah I'm excited to work with raw video. I've shot projects with the RED One and Epic and never really enjoyed the workflow all that much. but they were huge heavy cameras too and never enjoyed shooting with them all that much either. Also, they were never my cameras and there's more fun in owning the camera and really learning how to get the most out of it.

I could never go back to shooting jpegs after shooting raw stills. Hoping video is similar experience. But in the back of my mind sd card technology isn't quite ready. Shooting raw it's like 15 minutes to a 64gb card compared to 4 hours shooting avchd.

But 256gb 95mb/s cards can't be that far off and that would mean 1hr per card. That toshiba announcement earlier this week may speed up sd card advancements.

• Hello! This is have Raw or Hack soon????????????

• That's it. It's official. Not one F#@*ing person reads through a thread before asking a question!. It's actually now borderline insanity here.

• @dak20 Raw will be released tomorrow.

• I don't need raw on the GH3. Ideally, we'd get a higher bitrate for the INTRA modes. 4:2:2 would be awesome, too.

And if Vitaly could make the GH3 somehow record in 4K or QuadHD, that would be amaaaaazing...

• @JBV_CINE

At exactly 13:13:13 .

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions