Personal View site logo
Development status topic
  • 223 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Will Paypal donations help with any hardware needs? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but... Maybe asking the question will also help get you more donations. I know hardware can be expensive.

Perhaps this is a better question to ask than "Are we there yet?" Rather, "How can we be of assistance?"

• @vicharris is right, guys: impatient asking cost Vitaliy just additional time to answer, while most of those questions are obsolete. Just check periodically the first post in this topic, as Vitaliy will instantly post the news here and edit his first post.

To successfully hack an firmware is effort of many, many hours of dirty and boring work. I could bet that Vitaliy has his full-time job and family besides, all those things demand lots of time as well.

Hack projects is Vitaliy's big passion, but he is now working on hack for many cameras simultaneously: not only on YOUR camera. Hacking is his passion, I am sure he won't stop :-)

Respect his hard working, be grateful when his new hack result matches your camera model and support his work that's best you can contribute for your hack to come sooner:
    donate, or try to involve in the hacking projects someone of your friends as developer, in the case you know someone who is extremely skillful person willing to spend many hours of his time for this matter.

• @vicharris Right on. You don't sound like a dick to me - you're just being more verbose than I was with my last post in this thread. :)

@kairutan "How can we be of assistance?" sounds like a passive-aggressive way of saying "Are we there yet?" VK seems perfectly capable of requesting assistance when it is needed.

@pixcanfly People who are polling the forum for latest info on the hack are the last ones who should be pestering for updates.

Speaking for myself, I can't even remotely understand why someone would buy a camera like the G3 and then spend a bunch of time asking about manual controls for video. If manual controls are your goal, then why not just buy a camera with them available without a hack? For about the same price as a G3, you can get a GH2. I get that the G3 is smaller, but it's not like the GH2 is big. Was the thought process "I'll just buy this crippled camera now because eventually a stranger halfway across the world will put in a few hundred hours of his free time to make this camera equal to a different camera that I can just buy right now. I'd better sign in to his forum and ask?"

• @Kairutan

No, thanks all is ok, no need for anything.

@tetakpatak
    @eatstoomuchjam

No need to defend me. As if I talked about manual modes it was much better if I did them long time ago. Sadly it is more difficult to find free time chunks than I thought.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks! I'm happy to hear that everything is OK.

• Good to see there is some development on the GH3. I really hope there is a parameter in there somewhere that controls the onscreen info disappearing after 10 seconds. If this could be extended to infinity(like ALL cameras I have EVER used) it would be great! This "feature" is totally meaningless and driving me nuts!

Good luck on your continued work, you know it is appreciated!

• @AndersM it is not meaningless it is so it doesn't burn in on the oled screen....

• @jakepowell If this is the case, then OLED is a step backwards in my opinion. And I think I would rather risk a little burn-in on the info areas than not having full control of what I'm doing like now.

• Notice for DMC-GH3 Firmware Update. please check: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/gh3_firmware/

• Yes, I know, was posted on GH3 topic quite a time ago.

• Thanks

1."Low Light AF" is added that makes it possible to set focus on the subject in low-lit situations (-3EV).

2."Silent Mode" is added which suppresses electronic shutter, shutter sound, operation sound and flash emission with a single setting.

3."Exposure Comp. Reset" is added which resets the setting of exposure compensation to ±0 whenever the camera is turned off or the shooting mode is changed.

4.Performance of AF is enhanced in use with H-PS14042 and H-PS45175.

5.Connection problem with Apple Mac computers via Wi-Fi is fixed

List of changes

• Interestingly, and in G6 to realize signal presence at the HDMI exit as in GH2, 3 it is theoretically possible?

• Nice new firmware. @Vitaliy_Kiselev Any progress on the GH3 since June 2.? Thanks!

• Any progress on the GH3 since June 2.? Thanks!

We did not get few required things still.

• @AndersM - Read previous posts much?

• Wow this thread is huge thank you for posting status and keeping us in the loop. I just contributed $10 to help motivate and looking to do more as I continue to use your hacks (had gh2 and still have gf2 and looking to get a gx1 / lx7 in hopes for manual control and high bitrates on those bodies some day =).

• I do not understand why there is all this mistery about GH3 hacking. GF1/GH1/Gh2 process was far more transparent. What we miss? And what date we can expect?

As donor I do not pretend anything except knowing how the work is progressing.

Thank you in advance

• do not understand why there is all this mistery about GH3 hacking. GF1/GH1/Gh2 process was far more transparent. What we miss? And what date we can expect?

LOL. It is not mistery. In fact it is more open and it is faster compared to GH2 :-).

We just need to make proper dump first and it is not easy task.

• Of the task list you had on the first post. Would it be possible to identify the prioritization? For example are you prioritizing GH3 over the older bodies having manual controls? Or even a status how far some of the initiatives are in. I know things like this probably just slow things down, I think some of us base our purchases on these hacks and where they are. I know the GX1 and smaller bodies would have much higher sales if they had manual control, 24p and higher bitrates =p.

Thanks ahead of time, just a suggestion if you have time.

• Do you have a wish-list for GH3 features that we can post to?

I would love to see 4:2:2 over HDMI (preferably 10 bit) and Focus Peaking (during video). How Panasonic skipped this one is beyond me.....

Bonus; maybe a higher bitrate option for 60p video...

• I wouldn't be surprised if Vitaliy is more busy working on a dump than updating a thread :)

Being a Eng. PR, setting expectations is not always the good thing. From what I see, there is simply no ETA.

From my point of view, I would love to see this "hacking" project being open source (if it can bring resources on the dev. side). I am sure I am not the only one ready to help on this :)

• I wouldn't be surprised if Vitaliy is more busy working on a dump than updating a thread :)

We'll get last thing we need soon, and start working again on it. I am quite optimistic.

• Hi I mostly use my GH3 for sports like martial arts and urban stuff, so I'm all the time switching from the 50p to the 25p All-I codecs. The 50p one as far as I understand, if slowed down x2 matching the 25p timeline, it pretty much becomes a 25mb/s codec. When in post, that jump in a video that has both codecs can be obvious in a big screen. Having a higher bitrate for the 50p mode would kickass. Is there any chance of capturing higher framerates? Does it depend on hardware or software?

Thanks mr. Vitaly. Respects to your work :)

• Is there any chance to hack Panasonic FT5/FS5. I see there is a public firmware release
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FT5_TS5/index.html Thx

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions