Personal View site logo
17.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander topic
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you, that's great , having a macro lens at same set up :-) I'm getting soon my 25mm/0.95 but next on the list is 17.5 mm

• Again I can't compare directly with the 25mm, but this is a shot at F2, the lens in the photo is only about 2 inches in diameter and the lettering on the left maybe 2.5mm tall. This is at the lenses absolute closest focal distance. I will see if I can get any sharper with some daylight and faster shutter speed tomorrow.

P1060642.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 3M
  • I want to purchase the Voigtlander 17.5mm but soon to be released SLR 25mm T095 got me second guessing. Can anyone speculate how the cheaper SLR 25mm will compare to the Voigtlander?

• Guys, try ETC on the 17.5mm. Keep ISO to 400 or lower. Try rack focusing. Lens breathing is minimal. This won't replace a nifty fifty, but it can be quite useful :)

• +1 for ETC mode, I use it allot actually, and have not noticed any noise yet. I don't keep track of my ISO, but going over 400 is very rare for me with this lens.

• Edit: Nevermind, I've seen enough video now to not notice distortion, if there is any.

• Love the lens. Looking at a follow focus gear for this particular lens. I'm scratching my head, because most of what I see available lacks robustness. Place the lens in a case or pack and the ring goes sideways. Someone hands you a lons and the lens slips through the clasp of the gear and hists the floor, attach a focus motor and it blows up during calibration... Is there a lens gear, made of harder material that can be applied and perhaps even glued to the focus barrel. [I'm not concerned with resale value] Thanks in advance!

• @bheath Try the Zacuto zip gears that comes in a roll. I have read good things with double sticky tape.

• This is the best "normal" focal length lens for the BMD Pocket Cam that I know of. I hope that the manufacturer can keep up with demand!

• I have this 17.5mm and the 25mm on the GH3 and have a Blackmagic Pocket on order... anybody have any experience matching these with the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and the Olympus 12mm 2.0 or would the SLR Magic be better? I am trying to build a prime kit as i feel more comfortable and find i work better with prime lenses then zooms... less lazy, more thought out, always brining the a game etc. if you catch my drift.

• I've own and use the 12mm Olympus and 25mm Voigtlander together – it seems to work pretty well. Functionally, I wish the aperture on the Olympus wasn't electronic. But the pictures seem to cut together well.

Also, to the guy that was considering gluing or taping gears on his lens... just get some of these: http://wideopencamera.com/products/

Worked for me.

• Build quality and finish seems excellent, much like a Leica. Voigtlander lenses can sometimes suffer from the “dreaded lens wobble", where the front part of the barrel gets loose. I’ve got no way of knowing if this lens would develop that from hard use, only time would tell.

Manual focusing limitations aside, it’s an outstanding night time lens. The benefits in light gathering ability are very plain to see. You can keep your ISO down, with all the benefits of colour richness, lower noise and higher dynamic range that brings

When I get the focus right, the images are surprisingly sharp, even at f0.95. Vignetting seems low enough that I have to add it all myself in Lightroom (I quite like a bit of vignetting) - which is what you’re seeing in these photos. Optically, this lens doesn’t seem to have any distinct sort of “personality" other than it’s speed.

http://papasnap.tumblr.com/post/54734211071/lens-review-voigtlander-17-5mm-f0-95-nokton-for-micro

• I contacted Duclos and they said that they will pressfit a lens gear on my 17.5. Now if I only can find a break from using it, so I can ship it to them:)

• @bheath What did they quote you for that?

• I hope the bmpcc has the same good peaking function as the 2.5k version, as it will be very useful in combination with the 17.5.

I will certainly use that lens a whole lot more on the bmpcc, though I think the aberrations will be quite bad wide open.

• This lens catch me so much. I want, but it's so expensive. Too expensive. What about a combo with the omd? IBIS and CV together, for video use..

Edit: now i have it!

• Hi! Would like to ask which nd fader filter (just to do not lose the quality of the lens), and what if i take one to put it on the lens and THEN put the filter on it: any problems?

• I am considering buying this lens. Is the ETC with this lens really so good? If yes, that means you have an excellent 35mm and 70mm lens, thats exactly what I need... Anybody could upload a daylight and lowlight shot in ETC mode? Cheers

• Hi I just purchased a Voitlander 17.5mm F/0.95 lens 2 days ago and am not happy with it's blurry infinity focus. No matter what f stop I use the image is still blurry at infinity HELP!!! PLEASE SOMEONE because I've invested a lot of money in them

• @T2iRebelvsGH2LOUIS I've found that if you click a tad to the left of infinity, you get it sharp. This was on my GH2, don't know about other cameras. Gh4 has focus peaking, so that helps. Pretty sharp lens.

• @T2iRebelvsGH2LOUIS How are you focusing to infinity? The focus ring on the Voigtlanders (and some other manual focus glass) will actually go a little past infinity - so if you're trying to set infinity by rotating the ring all the way till it stops you've gone too far. On the other hand if you're using magnified view to focus on something far away and you can't bring it into sharp focus then there might be a problem with your lens.

• Hello,

I have the Voigtlander 17.5mm since fews monthes and i would like to know if the SLR anamorphic lens x1.33 does work on the 17.5mm?

What about the new SLR Magic x2 that will be released on 2015?

Thank you

• @krixoff - I don't know for sure, but my SLR MAGIC 1.33x vignettes very slightly on a GH2 at 25mm, but is fine on a GH4, so i would imagine much below 25 is probably pushing it. (I have seen the pancake 20mm being used though!).

• Thank for you reply nobbystylus