Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
17.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander topic
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • I had the pleasure of playing with this lens last week at the local Yodobashi. It just came in, and some fool put the UPC with tape around the clickless aperture selection ring, but thankfully the nice employ removed it for me. I played with the 25mm in the past at the same shop, but beyond the clickless aperture this lens just felt a notch above. maybe it was the size which is closer to my canon fd 35mm which I love so much, but it seemed easier for me to pull focus with, and a tad smoother if that's possible. I kept oohing and awing, and didn't want to put it down. Unfortunately my memory cards were full sans a bit of space for stills I took which I will try to hunt down and upload in a day or two. My only very slight qualm was that with the clickless aperture when it got into the low f stops (high numbers) I had a couple of clickless clicks, meaning there were noticeable jumps downward on light. It was smooth as silk till those last two F stops, but it was clearly there. Maybe the tape gummed it up, but it didn't feel like that was the case. I am hoping this is just an extremely rare case and the rest of the lenses are free of this defect, and no it would stop me from buying one, but it would irritate me a bit if I spent that kinda cash and got a lens with this issue. Everything else about the lens was wonderful. I wanted to taste it, but the lady was already giving me funny looks at my sexual caressing of the lens.

• That was not my case with the lens @mee. I've rented it multiple times from lensrentals.com and it was absolutely superb. It literally saved this one wedding shoot I had. HORRIBLY lit dancefloor, and the lens just shined in this situation. Perfect focal length for this sort of work. Handheld it wasn't shaky at all.

• I'm saving for one of the Noktons. I think the 17.5mm might better suit me for handheld. Maybe I'll sell all my stuff and just get both Noktons, but I'm worried I'd miss the autofocus. Still, can't beat them for low light video. The Olympus 45mm is nice, but I haven't used it much. I wish the Noktons were both EUR 900.

• Screen shot, Sedna, Voigtlander 17.5 wide open, indoors, window light.

Thanks for the advice, Nick.

RBD

Eowyn00010.jpg
    1404 x 994 - 201K
  • Almost completely done with Voigtländer 17.5mm. Nearly fully open all the time.

• @beeldlab nicely done. i like the 1st person point of view. yeap i need a nice vacation, too.

• I need your help. Shame on me, I can't find the way how to de-click aperture on this lens. I use it about month. It came without operation manual.

• pull the aperture towards you, it's kinda hard to do, don't be afraid of breaking it, it's built like a tank

pull and twist, it should "lock in" and stay "de clicked" if you pull and it's not locking in position, keep messing with it

• Thank you! It was completely unclear intuitively without your explanation.

• Hey check out our feature film currently in production. Shot on GH2, Sedna hack, 17.5 Voigtlander + 50mm canon. Mostly the Nokton though.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Who-Needs-Enemies/130412530440147

Teaser out soon

• Just ordered this lens. Most expensive and fastest lens I ever bought.

• @mintcheerios

you won't be disappointed

• What lens gear are you using for this lens? Gears from my previous set does not fit 100%. I need to put silicon band between lens and gear to make it fit but it's not best solution because it's so soft.

I don't like those rubber gears. I want it to be hard plastic or metal.

• I don't know the diameter if the lens, but these might work: http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=156

• Okay, so I've been playing with this lens for about a week now, and now I'm officially addicted to F0.95. I'm amazed how sharp they got it at that aperture while still retaining decent contrast. The soft edges and vignetting are there, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. If I want sharp everywhere, I can just stop down to F2.0. With the BMCC and GH3, it'll crop some of the edges anyways (in 16:9). I haven't tested it for field curvature yet, but I don't think it'll be a huge problem if I just focus somewhere between the center and edge of the image.

The focus ring has a long throw and makes focusing at F0.95 a breeze. The lens feels so tough and the ability to choose between clickless aperture and clicked is very useful for me since I take photos and video. I'm loving the focal length, but that's personal preference. For social gatherings, it's nice to be a bit wider to get that extra person in the shot. 25mm would be a tad bit too tight for me, especially on a GH3 with its 2.1x crop factor in 16:9. On the BMCC, the 17.5mm will be a perfect normal lens for me.

I haven't tried it yet, but I feel the focus ring may be a bit too stiff for my follow focus gears. I'll have to check out some better gears for it.

I got it used in Korea for about $1,000 in practically unused condition, and it's been worth every penny (I mean won).

• I just ordered mine yesterday, for a $1000 AU brand new. I should have it in my hands next Monday :)

• congratulations. :)

• 1000 $ - it is the price of 17 0.95 ?

• Good price!

• Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes, usually in austraila we have to pay through the teeth. Fingers crossed, I should have it in my hands today :)

• Amazing lens, definitely my favorite. Ordered mine from Mainline in AU as well - just keep in mind of exchange rates and backlog wait. I waited about 3 months from placing the order till it was at my doorstep in the US but completely worth it!!