Personal View site logo
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @Azo

I also mounted a Nikon 50mm lens on the camera thinking that maybe this would solve the freezing issue but the froze after 5 minutes had to pull battery.

How is it about Valkyrie 444 TZ4 Lite? In the Lite version, image quality remains as it is and it has lowered the bit rate.

• @chickenpusher

Thanks for your comment, mate! :-)

The result is the highest although it is very difficult to use original 444 matrix by Chris, IMHO. Based on the feedback from Azo, I further improve.

• @Azo

Many thanks for feedbacks! :-)

Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA2: HBR30p mode = Camera froze after 7 minutes had to pull battery. Repeated test again and this time camera froze in 3 minutes had to pull battery.

Regarding HBR30p, I already finished improving it. iDRC and iA is available in it. However, I worry about with which it shall be related between TZ3 or TZ4.

I also mounted a Nikon 50mm lens on the camera thinking that maybe this would solve the freezing issue but the froze after 5 minutes had to pull battery.

About this result, I am very interested. In 24p, the frozen report was heard after a long time. I improve also about this instantly.

Thanks again, mate.

• Howdy,

I updated a film I shot with the Valkyrie 444 setting in March with a new color grade done in Davinci Resolve 9 and some film grain from FilmConvert.

I am very new to Resolve and still learning the ropes but @bkmcwd 's settings produce video clips that are just amazing to work with. After replacing all my source footage with .mov equivalents I was amazed how far I could push this footage in post. Please bare in mine that I didn't convert these to any prores file, these are straight out of the camera and re-wrapped into .mov format before going into Resolve (Prores 444 or 422 would look amazing but far too large for me to work with atm). That coupled with the realistic film grain from Resolve makes for a really film-like image IMO. But please let me know what you think and post comments on my Vimeo page if you like.

Thanks @bkmcwd

• @bkmcwd

I have an update for you... I reviewed several patches for a couple of upcoming shoots that I have in the next couple of weeks. In the process of testing the patches in various types of conditions, I also tested the patches with the death chart.

All recordings were performed with the following:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s card Panasonic 20mm 1.7 @ 2.2, ISO 160, White Balance Set at Daylight Balance Setting Video Mode in Fully Manual with no i-DRC or iA modes.

I normally shoot with my Nikon lenses, but for the shoot that I have coming up I want the sharpest possible lens and settings so I will be using the Panny 20mm 1.7 and the Panny 14mm 2.5 along with a Rokinon 35mm 1.4 for this shoot.

Here is what I found while shooting the DEATH CHART:

Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA2:

HBR30p mode = Camera froze after 7 minutes had to pull battery. Repeated test again and this time camera froze in 3 minutes had to pull battery.

24P H Mode = Camera recorded for at least 10 minutes. I stopped the recording.

Cake V 2.3:

HBR30p mode = Camera recorded for at least 10 minutes. I stopped the recording.

Cluster X Nebula:

HBR30p mode = Camera recorded for at least 10 minutes. I stopped the recording.

I have come to appreciate all of the patches that are available. Thank you so much for trying to perfect this patch and making it available to the rest of us. I truly appreciate your time and effort.

Best Regards

• @towi

Many thanks for feedback, mate! :-)

re GOLGOP3-13 ... for 50i set the GOP Table to 6, 0, 0, 6, 16, 16. It's stable. (6, 0, 0, 15, 15 still crashes).

How is it about Duke?

Valkyrie 444 TZ4 Beta 2 runs just fine. And it looks really good :-)

Thanks!

• @bkmcwd

re GOLGOP3-13 ... for 50i set the GOP Table to 6, 0, 0, 6, 16, 16. It's stable. (6, 0, 0, 15, 15 still crashes).

BTW, Is the PAL side of Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA2 also frozen?

no, Valkyrie 444 TZ4 Beta 2 runs just fine. And it looks really good :-)

TZ4 seems to be something like a "highres" version of TZ3 (in HBR/25p mode)... it produces larger I-Frames (at the price of smaller B-Frames... but motion still looks very good). Not sure whether or not this was your intend...

Cheers!

• @towi

The versions improved in the PAL side were released.

Duke http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/130921#Comment_130921

GOLGOP3-13 http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/133321#Comment_133321

Many thanks for testing and feedbacks! :-)

• @towi

Many thanks for feedback, mate! :-)

I think you are to something with this new settings ... they just need to be stabilzed.

It tends to be on the PAL side to the bit rate higher than NTSC. If the bit rate is too high, video buffer will fall. In my test, I think that it is the cause since the buffer often fell. Since I live in the NTSC land, the greatest cause is that the test in the side of PAL becomes needy inevitably.

However, I understand gradually arrangement for making it stabilized in the PAL side by feedback from you.

I will correct the PAL sides instantly.

Thanks again.

BTW, Is the PAL side of Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA2 also frozen? This has given tuning quite gentler than other latest settings.

• @bkmcwd

Hi Mate!

Normally I first test all new settings by shooting my codec torture movie off the computer screen. This time I first tested real world scenes with GOLGOP3-13-MAX-Beta9. In HBR/25p the new GOLGOP shows a very nice image and above all very, very smooth motion. Really great! However, I've just tested the settings on my codec torture chart and unfortunately it failed (in HBR/25p) - the camera freezes (battery removal required).

24H runs stable (of course ...).

I think you are to something with this new settings ... they just need to be stabilzed.

• @Azo

Many thanks for testing and feedback, mate! :-)

Although I am going to improve TZ3, in all the rec modes, I plan to make TZ3 into the specification which can use i-dynamic range control. On the other hand, about TZ4, I am going to make this the highest image quality version used without i-DRC or iA.

• @bkmcwd

Thank you for the update I had a chance to test out the new TZ4_Beta2 patch in the HBR30p mode. I noticed an improvement in the video quality especially in under exposed areas. On the TZ3 patch the under exposed areas had a little macro blocking going on this patch seems to have fixed that anomaly.

I recorded in the HBR30p mode on a 64G 95MB/s card for 20 minutes with no issues. I used a Minolta Rokkor X 1.4 at F.11 lens so I am not sure if that effects the stability or not but just wanted to share this info with you.

Arigato :)

• GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.2 and GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.2

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/133659#Comment_133659

UPDATE(2013/07/16):I release new "GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.1" setting.

UPDATE(2013/07/16):I release new "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.1" setting.

In BETA9.2 versions, 1080i/HBR/PAL is only changed. There is no change in NTSC side.

GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.1 and GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.1

UPDATE(2013/07/14):I release new "GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.1" setting.

UPDATE(2013/07/14):I release new "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.1" setting.

In BETA9.1 versions, 1080i/HBR/PAL is only changed. There is no change in NTSC side.

@ GOLGOP3-13 lovers :-)

GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9 and GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9

I release the new "GOLGOP3-13-A2" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2" settings.

All of these matrices are the same as before. The changed parts are in 1080i and 720p.

*These are given the same tuning as "Duke" so that the bit rate may go up in 1080i/HBR rather than the previous BETA versions.

*These have passed the continuation zooming test for 6 minutes or more with Panny AF lens.

*About spanning, these have not fully been verified yet.

*Please try them! And many thanks for feedbacks from you!

*If these are also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to All silent users of my settings! :-)

And especially thanks to Nick @driftwood. :-)

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.(Max bitrate : about 120M in 24p, about 75M in HBR, about 70M in 720p)

*'MAX' version and 'A' version are completely the same except 24p.

*The original matrix is adopted in the newest GOLGOP3-13s. It is the middle of a Sedna matrix and a stock character. If I say plainly, it will be the Sedna matrix optimized in 3GOP structure.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-A2.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-MAX2.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H & 24L both.

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p and 720/60p are 6GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the time of statics.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode except 24p of GOLGOP3-13-MAX2, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele, iA mode work.(Not tested full yet, but probably) (Take care only in 60fps modes)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. Also in other rec mode, almost available.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.zip
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9_HBR30p_ISO160_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 528K
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 631 - 524K
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9_HBR30p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 505K
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA9.1.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA9.1.zip
  • @Azo

I am sorry that I did not reply to you sooner. I did quick comparison.

These tests in my room are on the scene with many patterns of quite fine textiles. In such a scene, TZ4_BETA2 becomes image quality higher than TZ3. TZ4 may be better if you do not use i dynamic range mode in 60fps modes.(In TZ4, using i dynamic range mode in 60fps has a risk.)

Regarding vimeo site, since I am using the same setup as usual, I do not understand what for whether it is the cause.

Many thanks for using my settings and feedbacks from you! :-)

Valkyrie_444_TZ3_HBR30p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 544K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA2_HBR30p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 544K
  • @bkmcwd

Ok I will use Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 1.01 for the shoot since it is complete. I always want the best possible quality so this is why I was asking. Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 1.01 seems very stable and I haven't
    had any problems with it so I will use this patch for the shoot. In regards to the Original.M2t file I do not see it? I even went back to the original Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 beta patch and it seems as though the file is gone? Maybe Vimeo changed something? This is a shame because you cannot see just how good the your patch is due to the compression on Vimeo & Youtube.

Anyways thank you for the quick reply... I look forward to the Valkyrie 444 TZ4 patch I know it will be awesome.

Arigato Nei

• @Azo

Hi mate, :-)

I am very happy with the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 1.01 patch, but would like to know what the main difference is between the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 patch and the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 patch.

Although there is no big difference among these, TZ4 can use bigger frame size than TZ3. This generally means that image quality improves.

However, since TZ4 has still been just started, I am not sure yet how it is improving concretely clearly.

There may almost be no difference among them. I think that TZ3 is the useful setting as this since it is highly complete. Therefore, I named the high version TZ4. In TZ4, a matrix may be changed further from now on.

On vimeo I do not see the original file to download, if it is not to much trouble could you upload the original file?

I should be making it the setup downloadable as usual. Can't you download "Original .M2T file"?

• @bkmcwd

I will be shooting a video for an infomercial in about 2-3 weeks. I am very happy with the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 1.01 patch, but would like to know what the main difference is between the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 patch and the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 patch. On vimeo I do not see the original file to download, if it is not to much trouble could you upload the original file? I remember being able to download the original file for the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 and was blown away by the quality in HBR30p mode.

Thank you for your time.

• @cbrandin The GF2's 720p MTS files, with any non-OEM firmware settings, all play back at 25fps or 30fps, respectively, in all of the players that I've tried and all NLE's report these files as either 720p_25 or 720p_30, respectively, as well. I'll put the OEM firmware back on and see if that makes any difference. If you're located in the US I'd be glad to send you my GF2 to investigate, if you're interested.

• @coors Thanks for the information. There is something odd going on here. I checked and the GF2 is supposed to operate at 50 or 60 fps with 720p. If you are getting half that, then the settings are doing something strange. Actually, if the GF2 is operating in "trick" mode then something strange is definitely going on. Unfortunately, StreamParser can only detect what is supposed to be happening according to how the clip is wrapped; some settings can confuse all this and there isn't much I can do about it.

One more question: Is the clip playing back at full speed? There is a possibility that, because of the settings, the clip is interpreted as being 25fps by the player when it is actually 50fps and playing back at 1/2 speed. Or, another possibility is that the clip was captured with a slow shutter speed and the CODEC is doing strange things to compensate for that.

I don't have a GF2, so I can't test any of this. Can anybody check to see how StreamParser deals with unhacked 720p footage? If this only happens with some hack settings I probably can't do much about it. It is worth considering, however, that these settings might be creating incorrect header data - and that may or may not be something that needs to be considered.

• Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 & Lite BETA2

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA2" (Standard) - seta.ini - Released 08/07/2013

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA2" - setb.ini - Released 08/07/2013

*These are the versions by which only HBR(1080i) was changed from the previous BETA versions.

*The following explanation is the same as a previous version.

There is no change about 24p from TYPE-ZERO3s. Because, there is no need to change.

Although iA and iDynamic range modes cannot often be available in 60i and 60p of this TYPE-ZERO4, in the other mode, it realizes high IQ with high bitrate rather than TZ3.

This TYPE-ZERO4 is also the version as which "balance of gradation and resolving" was considered in all the modes. (Scaling Matrices are the same as TZ3 or previous Lite.)

I think that the freezing issue at the moment of the focusing and zooming was solved nearly perfectly also in Panny lens use in the modes other than 60i and 60p.

Please try it! And I am very glad if I can get feedbacks from you.

*If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to All silent users of my settings! :-)

Of course, many thanks to @cbrandin and KING @driftwood!

• Superb-looking Pure Original 444 matrix from cbrandin is adopted in 24p mode

• Modified 444 matrix from my BETA Team in Japan is adopted in HBR/1080i and 720p modes

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18 / 'Standard'

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24L mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound) / 'Standard'

• Upto 110M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18 / 'Lite'

• Upto 140M(110x1.25=137.5M) for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24H mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound) / 'Lite'

• Upto 75M for Top Quality HBR/FSH modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/50p modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/60p modes

• Extremely reliable top performance in AVCHD 24H and 24L

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24L only with 'Standard'

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24H and 24L both with 'Lite'

• Fully working iA and iDynamic range modes if you require them (Take care only in 1080/60i and 720/60p)

• Beautiful 3 GOP bringing short GOP style detail & movement-rendition in all the modes

• Bush of Death / Death chart tested.

• Wonderful Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman

• Top quality 2K mjpeg Mode in HD by Nick Driftwood

• In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.

*Supposing you use "FSH" or "SH" mode safely in 60p, please turn OFF iA and i dynamic range control. On the other hand, in HBR30p, HBR25p, 50p, it is satisfactory at all.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA2.zip
    bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA2.zip
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA2_HBR30p_ISO160_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 510K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA2_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 532K
  • @cbrandin Yes, according to the formula that you gave Streamparser is reading correctly. that means that I've been wrong for a long time now, as I've always thought that Streamparser numbers for GF2's 720p mode had to be halved. My apologies for spreading this disinformation. And this is very good news to me as it means that I'm getting an actual. 105Mbps, in 720p_50 mode (it doesn't support NTSC) when using a modified version of Obscura's Kayser Gra-Detail CBR (constant bitrate) setting. I only use that setting for stills, as it's set up for capturing detail and is not very good at capturing motion. And I'm getting up to, at least, 75Mbps with bkmcwd's Valkyrie Type_Zero4-Beta, and 100Mbps with bkmcwd's older GOLGOP3-13_Sedna-v2.1_Beta4 setting, all in 720p_50. Thank you, for taking the time to set me straight, here.

Update: Sorry, I'm sleepy and I made a mistake here. I grabbed a file, did the calculation and I thought that your formula supported Streamparser's accuracy with GF2's 720p mode, but it's actually just the opposite. The formula that you gave supports that indeed you have to halve Streamparser's numbers for GF2's 720p mode. I was pretty excited, but that was short lived when I just double checked.

• @cbrandin Yes, the GF2 seems to operate 720p @ 25fps and 30fps, respectively. My files are on another machine, so I'll check those with your formula and report back, ASAP.

• @bkmcwd Thanks for the screen shots. It looks like the GF2 is operating in "trick" mode - which would throw most programs that report bitrate off because they rely on TS timers to do the calculation. StreamParser calculates bitrate in a different way. That's why I wanted to see a calculation based on (clip_size_in_bytes/clip_length_in_seconds)*8. That would confirm whether StreamParser is correct in its bitrate calculation or not. Note that you have to use the actual length of the clip in seconds when it plays - not what any program might report. Based on this similarity of I frame sizes in your screenshots, it looks like StreamParser is correct - but I want to be sure. Is the GF2 operating at 720p/30 instead of 720p/60 by any chance? That could throw StreamParser off - that's why I wanted to see this quick and dirty test.

• @towi

I have tried these now. I think that this is stable. :-)

Encoder setting 4 1080i=19

1080i60 GOP Table=8, 0, 0, 8, 17, 17

1080i50 GOP Table=6, 0, 0, 6, 15, 15

• @towi

How is the result at the time of changing this value with 18 to 19, 20, or 21?

It froze also in these. Now, I am further adjusting.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters